That One Girl

Toy Story 4 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Small Soldiers 118, Puppet Master 14.1, Prince of Persia 12.2 (-30%), Blues Brothers 2000 10.8 (-64%), Beverly Hills Chihuahua: The Squeakquel 10.3 (-58%)

i'm sure i could have won the derby this week going with 100-112 OW for TS4, but i would have forfeited the #1 spot by going higher with something else only cuz i wanted it to go higher even though i'd loose points

the first Toy Story really annoyed me, scared me, and left a sour taste in my mouth.  It was a baby crib babysitting movie with the gross mattresses. 

at age 13, I refused TS2, saw End of Days in a separate theater, never made it through TS2 at school on the party days.

watched the rest of the Pixar movies in between though...

ignored TS3, it looked out of date despite box office hype like Indiana Jones 4, and the BP nomination

i'm sure Lady Gaga is busy right now seeing TS4 because of all the colors, and because it is the movie that makes the least sense to root for

i won't see it unless there is goats in it.  Is there?  from BOT it smells like it is, but the RT score is high so maybe it is goat-proof

speaking of which, did goats already make back with TS3?  TS2?  Was Woody a child metaphor with TS1?  God that movie was insufferable.  I'm afraid if i re-watch it, my 85% score for it will be raised!

• Knock It Off 1

Shrek 1 is pretty solid. Definitely a product of it's time but for the most part it holds up. Shrek 2 is a very good sequel and essentially a slight improvement overall I'd say. Shrek 3 is hot garbage and I only saw like thirty minutes of the 4th one but it looked even worse.

None of them hold a candle to Toy Story or most Pixar properties though.

• Like 3

I really like the first two Shrek films, but they can't compare to the majority of Pixar's work or some other Dreamworks films (like HTTYD for example). That being said, IMO Shrek is still quite relevant today and I actually think a great Shrek 5 could do Incredibles 2 numbers with a big nostalgia boost.

Edited by miketheavenger

13 minutes ago, Slave Animal Rights said:

i'm sure i could have won the derby this week going with 100-112 OW for TS4, but i would have forfeited the #1 spot by going higher with something else only cuz i wanted it to go higher even though i'd loose points

the first Toy Story really annoyed me, scared me, and left a sour taste in my mouth.  It was a baby crib babysitting movie with the gross mattresses. 

at age 13, I refused TS2, saw End of Days in a separate theater, never made it through TS2 at school on the party days.

watched the rest of the Pixar movies in between though...

ignored TS3, it looked out of date despite box office hype like Indiana Jones 4, and the BP nomination

i'm sure Lady Gaga is busy right now seeing TS4 because of all the colors, and because it is the movie that makes the least sense to root for

i won't see it unless there is goats in it.  Is there?  from BOT it smells like it is, but the RT score is high so maybe it is goat-proof

speaking of which, did goats already make back with TS3?  TS2?  Was Woody a child metaphor with TS1?  God that movie was insufferable.  I'm afraid if i re-watch it, my 85% score for it will be raised!

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Damn, there's a whole lot more Shrek discussion than I ever would have expected in a thread about Toy Story's opening. :lol: 

Shrek's legacy is kinda hard to figure. Irony accounts for a not-insignificant amount of its continued appeal, but I think there's also a lot of genuine nostalgia at play with the Gen Z kids (and millennials to a lesser extent) that grew up with the first two movies. I feel like enough time has passed since the questionable receptions to the third and fourth films that a fifth one could be huge if the concept and marketing really pop.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/toy-story-4-opening-weekend-box-office-childs-play-1202635964/

2ND UPDATE FRIDAY 12:33PM: Industry estimates see Toy Story 4 at $51M today, including last night’s $12M, on its way to around $136M for the weekend. That’s fantastic number even though it’s under some of the lofty projections many were seeing, i.e. $160M-$200M. Let’s allow the weekend to play out, because there’s a lot of love here for the movie with PostTrak exits exploding at 5 stars for both general audiences and parents, and under 12 kids at 4 1/2. Huge 83% definite recommend here, with three out of the four quads well over 90% positive. At $136M, Toy Story 4 is feasibly on its way to beating the last chapter Toy Story 3 which opened to $110.3M and finaled at $415M domestic, $1.066 billion worldwide.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think the lowest multi it's possibly gettting is a 3.2x, likely won't go below I2 of last year, even though it's late legs does have some major competition with TLK (though Disney can boost the gross a bit with double features). WOM seems great though, I wouldn't entirely count out something like TS3's multi either which could get it to $500m+

Edited by Jayhawk

Ugh Deadline gotta deadline. If they had dropped the 200m train things wouldnt have gotten so crazy. There was nothing legitimate about the possible 160-200m range on data or presales from anywhere. 

That being said, its on track for my expectation (130-140) so I am prefectly fine.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1