That One Girl

Toy Story 4 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Small Soldiers 118, Puppet Master 14.1, Prince of Persia 12.2 (-30%), Blues Brothers 2000 10.8 (-64%), Beverly Hills Chihuahua: The Squeakquel 10.3 (-58%)

Just now, xiazhi said:

Gabby Gabby is more likable than the other two villians

This needs to be in spoilers and...

Spoiler

Because she's not a villain and was never set up as one if you were paying attention. Obviously she's more likable, that's the point. 

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

just in general every "the audience i was in reflected my exact opinion" take is boring and useless.

Not to me it's not because I was there. I also have no way of knowing if their exact opinion of 3 and 4 reflected mine, just that TS3 was far more emotionally resonant for them like me. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not to me it's not because I was there. I also have no way of knowing if their exact opinion of 3 and 4 reflected mine, just that TS3 was far more emotionally resonant for them like me. 

emotionally resonant doesn't necessarily look like crying all the time.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

emotionally resonant doesn't necessarily look like crying all the time.

Fine, harder emotional punch then. You know what I'm getting at. And yes TS4 has heart too, but let's not pretend that ending isn't a clear rehash of the TS3 one. That in and of itself is why it can't hit as effectively (combined with the fact that TS3's execution of it is also easily superior). 

honestly there was a certain point (let's say around Up/TS3 time) when the emotional beats felt less natural and pixar became more self aware of their reputation as the guys who make cartoons that make people cry. and they maybe try a little too hard to push those buttons these days.

The ending of TS3 was basically engineered in a lab to get the most tears possible out of its audience.  It's so overtly manipulative that it borders on laughable. 

And this is coming from the guy that will cry literally EVERY TIME "When She Loved Me" comes on in TS2.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

The ending of TS3 was basically engineered in a lab to get the most tears possible out of its audience.  It's so overtly manipulative that it borders on laughable. 

Did I miss the alternate, subtle cut of WALL-E?

Of course these movies are trying to make you cry. That we're more aware of it now doesn't change the fact they've been trying to do it since 1999.

"When She Loved Me" is no more or less cloying than anything in TOY STORY 3 or 4, we as an audience just weren't as ready for it.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Did I miss the alternate, subtle cut of WALL-E?

Of course these movies are trying to make you cry. That we're more aware of it now doesn't change the fact they've been trying to do it since 1999.

"When She Loved Me" is no more or less cloying than anything in TOY STORY 3 or 4, we as an audience just weren't as ready for it.

The framing of TS3's ending with how Andy introduces each toy to Molly and in doing so realizes what each one means to him is just fucking genius. No idea how anyone can't appreciate that kind of execution. 

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

The framing of TS3's ending with how Andy introduces each toy to Molly and in doing so realizes what each one means to him is just fucking genius. No idea how anyone can't appreciate that kind of execution. 

ah, the very thing i don't like about it.

• Like 3

Anyone else hate the hyper-realistic environment animation in TS4? I don't understand the purpose of that at all in the medium. Why not just shoot using real locations in that case? The whole point of animation is supposed to be artistic flair and charm that you don't get with live action. Just compare the dog in Coco to that cat in TS4 that literally looks dropped in from the real world. Animation is going to lose the whole reason it's appealing to me if the future is hyper-realism. 

• Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anyone else hate the hyper-realistic environment animation in TS4? I don't understand the purpose of that at all in the medium. Why not just shoot using real locations in that case? The whole point of animation is supposed to be artistic flair and charm that you don't get with live action. Just compare the dog in Coco to that cat in TS4 that literally looks dropped in from the real world. Animation is going to lose the whole reason it's appealing to me if the future is hyper-realism. 

Because the toys aren't real actors?  Or even stop motion figures?

Rest of today at my AMC looks packed as hell. All regular 2D for the rest of the day are near-sellouts apart from a couple of late nights that look about 70% full. Dolbys are near-sellouts and the 10:45 PM show is about 70% I'd say. Even the 3Ds are doing really well with only a couple that "just" look fine (which will probably fill up later).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Well this is the first toy Story movie that I have liked immensely. I related to the characters I loved the story and I really enjoyed the ending. Maybe I'm just at a point in my life where the themes in the movie resonate a bit more with me. I also really liked the Duke kaboom character so that helped out a lot.

58 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Baumer liked a Pixar movie? 2019 truly is the moviegoing endtimes.

@shayhiri ball is in your court now. :ph34r:

• Like 1