That One Girl

Toy Story 4 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Small Soldiers 118, Puppet Master 14.1, Prince of Persia 12.2 (-30%), Blues Brothers 2000 10.8 (-64%), Beverly Hills Chihuahua: The Squeakquel 10.3 (-58%)

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Toy Story 4 underperforms but a shot for shot remake of Lion King will likely explode and make over 600m. Studios will learn a great lesson!

Live action remakes will be the king of the summer box office. Get ready for that Toy Story remake in a few years.

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

Big movies that will overperform this summer (exhaustive list):  

Endgame

John Wick 3

Aladdin

Far From Home    

:ph34r:

EG is not really summer though, it made 90% of its money before any kid was even out of school (hell, it made a good chunk of it before it was even May). The other 3 are 180, 300, and maybe 350-400 grossers. Hardly a healthy reigning summer crop in 2019. 

• Like 2

Just now, DisposedData said:

Live action remakes will be the king of the summer box office. Get ready for that Toy Story remake in a few years.

Duh. As soon as Disney runs out the the Disney Animation movies to remake Pixar movies are next 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

How did this get to lower than $120 million in the past 30 minutes? Or are people caught in a corrosive, contagious vortex of hyperbole?

Earlier today I thought that less than $140 million was extremely hard to believe but have accepted that it might happen. Under $120 million is laughable. I mean....seriously! People just chill!

45m Friday with previews makes 120m near impossible. This is summer remember 

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, I must admit this number is shocking given all of the tracking and the reviews and the dead box office. I'm not sure how it could be falling so below the forecasts without a factor like toxic reception or a major competitor being in the mix. It's been awhile since something like this has happened. 

Is it dead though?

Captain Marvel:         425m and climbing

Endgame:                  830m and climbing

Aladdin:  on pace for 325m

Hell, throw in Wick 3  150m and climbing.

Then set aside people saving money for Far From Home and The Lion King and can we truly call this a dead box office?

I'm kinda looking at it just the opposite.   CM-->EG-->Aladdin-->TS4-->FFH-->TLK is a HELL of a run.  Sooner or later they start to eat into each other.  Didn't happen to Aladdin.  Looks like it might be happening to TS4

Aladdin looks to be doing 75m to 125m more than some expected.  That money just doesn't regenerate.  

Now we don't know what the legs are gonna be.  But I have to think TS4-FFH-TLK has the potential to harm each other, especially with the record breaking EG still echoing in the distance and Aladdin doing better than forecasted.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

EG is not really summer though

Summer movie season begins when Feige commands.   

maybe 350-400

I said overperform.

That’s not trash that’s not trash I gotta save them poor Andy poor everyone pricklepants is the one true hero what is love what is forks toy story 4ky but Aladdin and mindy kaling  r eign god I should get laid but toy story bomb because 3.5/5 thanks pastaman you got no friends in me toy story that’s not trash that’s not trash

• ...wtf 1

Pretty much every big movie going forward is going to disappoint. Spiderman , Lion King, Hobbs and Shaw. Spiderman is coming too soon after Endgame. You could see the interest in TLK drop after the second trailer was released. I am not sure a FF spin-off without the main FF cast will work all that great in the domestic market. 

Just now, Porthos said:

Is it dead though?

Captain Marvel:         425m and climbing

Endgame:                  830m and climbing

Aladdin:  on pace for 325m

Hell, throw in Wick 3  150m and climbing.

Then set aside people saving money for Far From Home and The Lion King and can we truly call this a dead box office?

I'm kinda looking at it just the opposite.   CM-->EG-->Aladdin-->TS4-->FFH-->TLK is a HELL of a run.  Sooner or later they start to eat into each other.  Didn't happen to Aladdin.  Looks like it might be happening to TS4

Aladdin looks to be doing 75m to 125m more than some expected.  That money just doesn't regenerate.  

Now we don't know what the legs are gonna be.  But I have to think TS4-FFH-TLK has the potential to harm each other, especially with the record breaking EG still echoing in the distance and Aladdin doing better than forecasted.

It's still just a really bad summer proper though, barring FFH and TLK both doing massive numbers to make up the slack. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

If this summer is underperforming this bad. I can only imagine next year 

Thing is though, EG wasn't that long ago.  I don't care if semantically speaking it wasn't summer.  An 835m movie is gonna have a looooooong shadow.  Then throw in a 150m movie almost immediately,  Then throw in a 325m+ movie.

THEN set aside movie going dollars for FFH and TLK.

Looking like they can't ALL hit their targets/potential is what I am starting to suspect.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Blankments said:

That’s not trash that’s not trash I gotta save them poor Andy poor everyone pricklepants is the one true hero what is love what is forks toy story 4ky but Aladdin and mindy kaling  r eign god I should get laid but toy story bomb because 3.5/5 thanks pastaman you got no friends in me toy story that’s not trash that’s not trash

...you okay?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chill people. If you are this stressed over a movie's performance, get off this forum and r/boxoffice for a couple of weeks. Come back when FFH and TLK open. There's life beyond box office tracking. Discover how beautiful the world is out there 😆.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's still just a really bad summer proper though, barring FFH and TLK both doing massive numbers to make up the slack. 

Them eating into each other (along with TS4) is kinda my whole point though.

Now we don't know what the legs of TS4 is gonna be like, so like hell am I pressing the panic button.  But just saying there might have been one too many big films after all in such a short period of time.

• Like 1