That One Girl

Toy Story 4 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Small Soldiers 118, Puppet Master 14.1, Prince of Persia 12.2 (-30%), Blues Brothers 2000 10.8 (-64%), Beverly Hills Chihuahua: The Squeakquel 10.3 (-58%)

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

How is it a surprise? Mermaid, Beauty, Aladdin and Lion King are the most meaningful Disney nostalgia movies. Their live action remakes are surefire bets. No one grew up on/gives a fuck about Dumbo. 

are you for real? YOu didn't see that a lot of people on the forum believed Aladdin would do badly? We all thought it would. It is the surprise winner of the summer, so far at least.

The reason why we saw those $160M-$200M forecasts is because some were running numbers for Toy Story 4 using the Incredibles 2 model and (which got them to a $205M projection), Finding Dory (which got them to a $154M forecast). But when you run Toy Story 4 numbers using Ralph Breaks the Internet as a model, using June numbers the result is around $128M.

so why didn't DL say it's tracking for 128M back then :jeb!:.. 

• Haha 1

Only Pixar movie that i can call outright bad is Cars 2. Mater is an obnoxious character, which is fitting since Larry the Cable Guy is obnoxious and unfunny.

Spies stuff is lol that doesn't even need to be there. That would be like Toy Story 5 involving a supervillain who wants to take over the world.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

5 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

How is it a surprise? Mermaid, Beauty, Aladdin and Lion King are the most meaningful Disney nostalgia movies. Their live action remakes are surefire bets. No one grew up on/gives a fuck about Dumbo. 

A sorta surprise after all of the predictions of doom and gloom surrounding the movie in the months prior heh. 

2 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Another 80%+ Friday jump for JW3 two weekends in a row! Those late legs are stunning!😍

rs_634x726-180302144549-28429079_5948402

Halle Berry should share some of what she is eating. She is 50 something years old and hasn't aged a day.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

8 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Frozen 2 seems to be doing something entirely different from what TS4 did. If TS4 was a tack-on film (but a pretty good fun one), F2 is going deeper, more mythological, more inspired than the first one. People wanted to know more about this mystery and F2 is doing that. It gives the feel that people actually wanted an F2. I guess that was TS4's problem all along?

Maybe the lack of a hook for TS4 was what kept it from performing industry expectations (I emphasize "industry"). F2 really seems to have the hook (what is the mystery behind Elsa's powers and are there more powers out there?). Let's hope they learn how to use a hook for TROS.

Even right away Frozen 2  spiked more search traffic and video views (19M TS4 teaser versus 40M F2 on official channels - the view stats for 24 hour views on all platforms on F2 were 116.4M [comps]) than TS4 did in comparing teasers. We'll see how it sustains, but in my head F2 was always ahead of whatever TS4 ended up at, the question was how big the gap between the two was going to be.

Toy Story 4 didn't have a bad opening day by any means, but yes, it's underwhelming relative to expectations heading into the weekend. At the end of the day, I think even the industry got carried away by how surprisingly positive the buzz for the film ended up being despite early advertising that did little to assuage viewer fears that it could just be a cash-grab sequel. In hindsight, I feel like the buzz was never really as palpable as it was for the previous film (which had the tenth biggest opening weekend on record at that time), but I was counting on the brand name and audience goodwill to make up the difference.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 12:36 AM, John Marston said:

Might not even cross 150m despite everything going for it? Wow 

On 6/21/2019 at 8:40 AM, John Marston said:

What’s worse is that it might not even beat Dreck the Turd for second place!

On 6/21/2019 at 8:48 AM, John Marston said:

Absolutely. Opening lower than all trade predictions is bad. End of discussion 

On 6/21/2019 at 9:08 AM, John Marston said:

Bad for a movie that has everything going for it (weak summer, amazing reviews, following three loved films)

On 6/21/2019 at 9:49 AM, John Marston said:

Wrong. Other trades all said 140m or higher 

On 6/21/2019 at 10:13 AM, John Marston said:

When a movie makes open under all trade predictions it’s disappointing

if it had bad reviews that lowered interest and hype then sure but that’s not the case

hell apparently Disney’s own estimate was 140m 

13 hours ago, John Marston said:

120m is a disappointing figure. No way to spin it. Fell below All trades and even Disney's projections. 

saying "Any other movie would kill to open that much" makes no sense. We are talking about this specific movie and what it had going for it. 

guess we'll have to see if Far From Home and TLK saves this summer

12 hours ago, John Marston said:

wait, this is without previews right because if that includes previews that would be plain bad

12 hours ago, John Marston said:

Only way it become non disappointing is if next week’s drop is sub 40

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

120m is under Disney’s own “conservative” estimate of 140m so disappointing no matter how you spin it. Still 120m is at least better than the sub 110m it almost looked like 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this opening for TS4 a disappointment?  I'm told you are the man to ask.

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

9 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Halle berry not attractive 🧐

halle berry GIF

You know what, If i told you why I don't find Halle berry attractive you'd probably call me racist, so I'm not gonna tell you.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 5

36 minutes ago, Alli said:

Very high chance, Aladdin becomes Will Smith biggest hit.

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Lifetime Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 Suicide Squad WB $325,100,054 4,255 $133,682,248 4,255 8/5/16
2 Independence Day Fox $306,169,268 2,977 $50,228,264 2,882 7/3/96
3 Aladdin (2019) BV $279,310,128 4,476 $91,500,929 4,476 5/24/19

I am offended. 350.