That One Girl

Toy Story 4 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Small Soldiers 118, Puppet Master 14.1, Prince of Persia 12.2 (-30%), Blues Brothers 2000 10.8 (-64%), Beverly Hills Chihuahua: The Squeakquel 10.3 (-58%)

The OW is not really that surprising. Presales were low and who honestly was feeling any hype for this. I didn't see any. A lot of people are talking about TLK and Spider-Man. TS4 should have good legs due to WOM, but TS3 had a finale factor with it, so TS4 was always going to face an uphill battle. Luckily, it's WOM is good, so as time goes on, those on the fence will likely see it. For a fourth part movie in a trilogy, I think TS4 is doing just fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Toy Story 4's OW performance probably would reflect what type of performance we could expect if they ever do a Finding Nemo 3 or Incredibles 3.

Incredibles 3 assuming it doesn't come out too soon should still do good money, I think.

People want an Incredibles 3 to complete the trilogy. Did anyone ask for a TS4? In that context, this is somewhat of an overperformance. If it had middling reviews and stiffer competition, a <90M OW could've been on the cards.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Toy Story 4's OW performance probably would reflect what type of performance we could expect if they ever do a Finding Nemo 3 or Incredibles 3.

Dory sequel would really be stretching creatively.      

I3 has potential to be the first Pixar over I2 with a decent wait period+good script.

I kinda forget just how massive Incredibles 2 was thanks to the exact positioning of its release. Just about any other film with a domestic opening over $180 million and a total over $600 million would have spent multiple weekends at #1 and finished as the highest-grossing film of its year, yet Incredibles 2 only got one weekend on top and finished third for the year.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Is Incredibles 2 the most low-key, quietest, unassuming $600mil DOM earner in box-office history? 

Well it’s certainly the only one to miss the yearly Top 2 (also the only 500+ movie to miss top 2, but this year may add several).

47 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Is Incredibles 2 the most low-key, quietest, unassuming $600mil DOM earner in box-office history? 

By "quiet" you mean less online discussion? That's expected for an animation.

13 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Well it’s certainly the only one to miss the yearly Top 2 (also the only 500+ movie to miss top 2, but this year may add several).

Yes, it'll get bumped out of the top 10 all-time later this year I'd imagine, but it's always funny to me that Incredibles 2 came out, cleaned house, greatly entertained almost everyone who saw it, and almost nobody talked about it as soon as it ended. By the time 2019 came around... it was like it hadn't even happened. I don't know if I've ever heard of a movie so many people were like "oh yeah, that came out last year" that ALSO made over $600mil DOM.

Well, maybe Avatar.

But even with Avatar people frequently talk about how nobody really likes Avatar. Incredibles 2 is the only non-Marvel superhero film in the all-time top 10, and is responsible for bumping The Dark Knight out of it, everyone mostly really likes it, and that's it. It came out, did its job, finished its run, and got out of the way. It's like... It's like Andre Igoudala winning a Finals MVP award...

I think that's kind of cool, really. 

• Like 1

To Not make I3 in the CBM era after I2 made 608 dom would be as stupid as greenlighting a sequel to Mortal Engines. Animating, especially rendering takes a lot of time and so we could have 3+ year gap.

Any how, before the presale hype decent number of people didn't think 350 was a lock for TS4. 116-118 ow and 3.2-3.3x gives 371-389. Doubt it misses 340-360.

4 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Seems like every movie this summer is flopping except for Rocketman, which is expected bc it's the best wide release film of the year.

SLOP2 will be a hit, so will TS4 and big hit at that. WICK3 a huge one. Aladdin's a smash.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Seems like every movie this summer is flopping except for Rocketman, which is expected bc it's the best wide release film of the year.

Lol. This is like an otherworldly take. Aladdin will end up near a billion, superb overperformance. TS4 will gross near Aladdin. Wick 3 is also an overperformer. And although SLOP2 fell heavily from the 1st one, a 400M-500M gross will still make profit because of its small 80M budget.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 8