That One Girl

Toy Story 4 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Small Soldiers 118, Puppet Master 14.1, Prince of Persia 12.2 (-30%), Blues Brothers 2000 10.8 (-64%), Beverly Hills Chihuahua: The Squeakquel 10.3 (-58%)

14 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Absolutely. Opening lower than all trade predictions is bad. End of discussion 

You could be disappointed for as long as you could. You could consider it underperformance based on your expectations. But how the freak is $120M considered BAD? Are you hearing yourself right now? Or are all the movies that you liked opened to $150M+ that's why you call $120M bad?

Just now, John Marston said:

Toy Story 3 apparently made 80% of its gross in 3D. Take that out and it sold less tickets than TS2

So by that calculation TS4 isn't really going to be a disappointment then, considering it's very likely to do at least 120m+ this weekend?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Okay this is the first post by you where I’m starting to think you’re joking.

JW/I2 came out in 2015 and 2018. Before Avengers in 2012 $600M was unheard of outside of James Cameron films. Even The Dark Knight didn’t finish within shouting distance of it lol

Actually I’m not. I remember in May 2009 after the teaser erased going on IMDb and saying TS3 could likely be the one to beat Titanic and many people agreed lol 

People do need to take in the perspective that a 4th film generally tends to pay their dues, hence why so many people were expecting a drop until a few weeks ago or so when the presales started.

2 minutes ago, UserHN said:

You could be disappointed for as long as you could. You could consider it underperformance based on your expectations. But how the freak is $120M considered BAD? Are you hearing yourself right now? Or are all the movies that you liked opened to $150M+ that's why you call $120M bad?

Bad for a movie that has everything going for it (weak summer, amazing reviews, following three loved films)

• Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Actually I’m not. I remember in May 2009 after the teaser erased going on IMDb and saying TS3 could likely be the one to beat Titanic and many people agreed lol 

And yet TS3's performance somehow didn't lead you to revise your expectations for TS4? Especially, as you mentioned, how heavily it benefitted from 3D ticket sales? 

Somewhat confused here.

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

And when the TS4 and Pika teasers dropped on the same day there were people in YouTube comments saying Pika would destroy TS4.

What’s your point?

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Bad for a movie that has everything going for it (weak summer, amazing reviews, following three loved films)

But it really isn't performing that differently (a slight dip adjusted) from TS3 from initial reports, so I don't understand how this is bad? Maybe personally disappointing but even if it goes on the low end for the weekend and has weaker legs for a Pixar, it's still getting to high-300s at the worst.

• Like 1

Just now, Jayhawk said:

But it really isn't performing that differently (a slight dip adjusted) from TS3 from initial reports, so I don't understand how this is bad? Maybe personally disappointing but even if it goes on the low end for the weekend and has weaker legs for a Pixar, it's still getting to high-300s at the worst.

This.

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Exactly.

I’ll admit, I was disappointed when this number came out and I was disappointed to see Charlie confirm it this morning.

But guys... it’s a preview number! We can’t possibly determine its final gross off a preview number like come on lol

For all we know this could be less frontloaded than Finding Dory. I doubt it but we’ll see.

Just now, superduperm said:

I’ll admit, I was disappointed when this number came out and I was disappointed to see Charlie confirm it this morning.

But guys... it’s a preview number! We can’t possibly determine its final gross off a preview number like come on lol

For all we know this could be less frontloaded than Finding Dory. I doubt it but we’ll see.

Charlie's early estimates for true Friday is 38M-40M. So take $140M off the table. Still a good number though.

15 minutes ago, UserHN said:

How is $120 million opening for TS4 NOT bad?

But I think the better question is how is $120 million even considered at all?

Edited by jedijake