That One Girl

Toy Story 4 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Small Soldiers 118, Puppet Master 14.1, Prince of Persia 12.2 (-30%), Blues Brothers 2000 10.8 (-64%), Beverly Hills Chihuahua: The Squeakquel 10.3 (-58%)

6 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I could see that but then again, it all depends on if Universal fucks up with the marketing.  

I mean did any kids care about The Jungle Book before the remake. 

I think kids that did grew up with the original TJB (1967) cared. Hence why they know all the characters & songs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I don't think animated films have the $200 million OW punch. Incredibes 2 had the added bonus of being a superhero film. Shrek is a lost property. Mostly forgotten and not at all wanted. We see how TS4 missed expectations by a lofty measure. Shrek would be no different and doesn't have the merchandising/park attachments.

Disney has strategically looked beyond the scope of theaters for their movie releases. They are wise. It's been a vision that started again in the 90's when their renaissance films became attached to merchandise and parks. Then, other than the animated films, NONE of their other movies had any attachement to the brand. That changed with POTC. Then came Marvel (though not attached to the Florida park). Then SW then the live-action remakes. Pixar became stronger and stronger. Now, they've done what no other studio can fully do. They've immersed their movies with their parks and now streaming so it is all wound together. They've kept their most notable properties relevant with kids with the live action remakes. In turn, this keeps their parks relevant and so on and so forth. Kudos for them for "getting" the business approach.

So TS4 may "only" reach $400 million domestic but it's enough to keep TS Land current and modern and ingrained in current pop culture. 

Frozen 2 will 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I could see that but then again, it all depends on if Universal fucks up with the marketing.  

I mean did any kids care about The Jungle Book before the remake. 

Shrek is just so damn huge with millennials/Gen Z right now and I just... don't know if younger kids - the ones who drive these movies - will show up. Ditto on the older demo; seems closer to a Pika Pika than an Incredibles 2

• Like 1

Note some even believe that Disney left millions on the table with the opening of Black Panther (!) despite that pic’s massive $242.1M 4-day. Why did that movie open on Friday, Feb. 16, instead of Valentine’s Day, one of the hottest moviegoing days of the year?

Some.

• Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

Shrek is just so damn huge with millennials/Gen Z right now and I just... don't know if younger kids - the ones who drive these movies - will show up. Ditto on the older demo; seems closer to a Pika Pika than an Incredibles 2

I think they will. They’ll have been shown the other movies, just like kids flocking to Toy Story 4 were shown the first two or three. Shrek is a huge franchise that lasted. Even the mediocre third and fourth films made a ton of money. 

People like the characters. Eddie Murphy’s donkey remains the best thing he’s done in the last 20 years. 

It’ll still be able to use pop culture references for today’s audiences. There’s tons of room to send up Frozen/super hero movies etc. But it’s the characters people will come back for. 

Not saying $500 million huge by any means, but if they get it right it should be a really big hit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

In several markets ticket prices have went up $0 or have experienced negative inflation. It's the big markets that drag it higher too. It's ridiculous to suggest inflation has changed much because it hasn't. Hell classic movie theaters have experienced deflation because they simply can't compete with modern theaters. I can buy movie tickets any time I want for $7.29 for leather recliners at AMC. The classic AMC charges $5.49 for all 2d tickets and does horrible.

Where do you live? I’m in one of the expensive metropolitan areas (San Francisco Bay Area), and I usually can’t get a matinee below $10.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

I just dont' see Shrek actually doing anything all that notable. It's not really big with anyone when you're not making fun of it.... it still exists in pop culture almost solely as a punchline... multiple punchlines really.

Now if the filmmakers lean into that and the whole movie is mocking itself, that could be something. But it can't just do what the first movies did because that shtik is what turned it into a disrespected punchline in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Jim Shorts said:

Lol, shrek 5 won’t sniff $100m ow. Shrek 3 & 4 made sure of that.

HAHAHAHA

The uneventful, obsolete and horrible looking Shrek Forever After opened to $70m, which adjusts to like $86m today, a new nostalgia driven Shrek movie, if marketed well, will do that number in the first day

36 minutes ago, TMP said:

I was only nine years old. I loved Shrek so much, I had all the merchandise and movies. I'd pray to Shrek every night before I go to bed, thanking for the life I've been given. "Shrek is love", I would say, "Shrek is life". 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Next summer, two out of the top three will be original films. Just gotta get through this trash summer of endless franchises first

-Tenet

-Soul

or Free Guy instead of Tenet?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tupek said:

HAHAHAHA

The uneventful, obsolete and horrible looking Shrek Forever After opened to $70m, which adjusts to like $86m today, a new nostalgia driven Shrek movie, if marketed well, will do that number in the first day

Remember BOM on that opening weekend? That $70 million ruined a LOT of summer games.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

fReE gUy? that'll make pixels money.

Ryan Reynolds couldn't even save Pika Pika, not sure why he's so eager to double dip into video game movies. 

38 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

Lol, shrek 5 won’t sniff $100m ow. Shrek 3 & 4 made sure of that.

What if they make Shrek, Donkey and Fiona into a super-hero team up - Shrek CBM? (They already have magic potions and magic wands story-line set up for it :lol:). #IncrediShrek