That One Girl

Toy Story 4 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Small Soldiers 118, Puppet Master 14.1, Prince of Persia 12.2 (-30%), Blues Brothers 2000 10.8 (-64%), Beverly Hills Chihuahua: The Squeakquel 10.3 (-58%)

4 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

There is no way it falls behind indiana jones 4 (317m)

The fact that it's still in the top 3 at this stage keeps it pretty safe to have low drops week to week. It survived the crazy June with so many widespread releases, that it'll hold its screens pretty well in July, which lacks the family fare. 

The June disappoints will all be dropping screens, and theatre chains will probably look at Aladdin as once of them safer bets. 

@MCKillswitch123 HOLY FUCK AT THE HUSTLE!!!!! Gonna end with probably 120.000+ tickets sold sweet mother of God, gonna end above all the wannabe blockbusters from the last few weeks :hahaha: 

At least we support non-CGI spectacles from time to time, even if those times end up being The Hustle or After.

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_20_a_23_junho_2019_147515d1097aa081f9.pdf

Pets 2 also had its biggest weekend yet, even thought it will crash this Thursday when Toy Story 4 arrives. After 18 days in theaters it still hasn't beat the OW of the first one tho :hahaha: 

Aladdin just keeps fucking GOING. It is unstoppable. X-Men is gonna end with a decent result, not much below Apocalypse (which finished just below 140.000 tickets sold) when all is said and done, probably one of the better worldwide performances of the movie. Strong hold for MIB after the bad OW, lets see if it can keep going into the Summer. 

A Vigilante and Dead Don't Die bombed as expected.

Edited by CJohn
  • Haha 1

So Avengers did not get much boost from Toy Story. Aladdin got all the benefits from double screenings. So Lion King should help Toy Story more than other disney movies as well.

for Avengers the theater count should tell us how aggressive Disney is with this expansion. Its definitely earlier that what I expected(August) to get PLF screenings. So far there are hardly any listings for this weekend shows.

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

The fact that it's still in the top 3 at this stage keeps it pretty safe to have low drops week to week. It survived the crazy June with so many widespread releases, that it'll hold its screens pretty well in July, which lacks the family fare. 

The June disappoints will all be dropping screens, and theatre chains will probably look at Aladdin as once of them safer bets. 

Thanks to all the June underperformers and TS4's friendly fire.

1 minute ago, Felandria said:

So, what’s the deal with those movies in China getting delayed?

i can’t find any info.

Not just delayed. Most likely cancelled. They got very strict in censorship.

Let me tip my hat to everyone back in April or earlier who predicted Aladdin’s fifth weekend would be 20%+ higher than MIB:I’s second weekend. You are the true visionaries we should all respect. Oh wait, nobody saw that coming? What happened to all of the bold and crazy predictions around here?

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Aladdin heading for 315+, damn that's one hell of a run. Imagine if the marketing had been on point the whole time, we could have been seeing over Jungle Book domestic. 

lmao if the marketing had been on point this would have been doing bigger numbers than Beauty and the beast. Aladdin is a much bigger IP. Disney fucked up bad with this. They had a 1,2+ billion grosser in the bag. 

12 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

lmao if the marketing had been on point this would have been doing bigger numbers than Beauty and the beast. Aladdin is a much bigger IP. Disney fucked up bad with this. They had a 1,2+ billion grosser in the bag. 

I don't know about BatB. The original is huge, and arguably more prominent in the public eye than 92's Aladdin is today. I think Aladdin would have been big (375 domestic, 1B+ WW) but BatB was lightning in a bottle. 

50 minutes ago, Felandria said:

Wow, any details on exactly why they would cancel them, were they expected to be big hits there?

You can head over to the China thread. They have a better grasp of things there. But basically the Communist Party of China had objections to some elements of the movies and all are just speculating what those are because they didn't publish the objections.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Wait, they're cancelling Chinese movies in China? WTF?

Yes. Huge movies at that. The Eight Hundred for example is pegged to top $600M. They've gotten really strict.

3 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Yes. Huge movies at that. The Eight Hundred for example is pegged to top $600M. They've gotten really strict.

China is really fucked up. They do this but they allow The Lion King to be released in Summer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.