That One Guy

Toy Story 4 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Small Soldiers 118, Puppet Master 14.1, Prince of Persia 12.2 (-30%), Blues Brothers 2000 10.8 (-64%), Beverly Hills Chihuahua: The Squeakquel 10.3 (-58%)

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I don't know about BatB. The original is huge, and arguably more prominent in the public eye than 92's Aladdin is today. I think Aladdin would have been big (375 domestic, 1B+ WW) but BatB was lightning in a bottle. 

Yeah, I was thinking The Jungle Book adj numbers earlier in the thread.

At the same time, maybe heightened expectations could have deflated how it's been received.  That is, is part of the WOM being pleasantly surprised by the quality or would it have been received the same if folks were expecting higher quality.

As much as we think we might know the answer, really don't think we do.  

Regardless, 100% agree with you that Disney dropped the ball on Aladdin when it came to how it was presented, rolled out, and marketed before it debuted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

China is really fucked up. They do this but they allow The Lion King to be released in Summer.

Weird that TLK is the one that comes to your mind first. These movies are supposed to be the huge movies that will dominate June, so the Chinese govt just basically cleared the way for Spidey as it has no more huge competition. Anyway, they're only strict with local films because they want these films to reflect their culture and ideologies. Not so much for foreign films.

16 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Weird that TLK is the one that comes to your mind first. These movies are supposed to be the huge movies that will dominate June, so the Chinese govt just basically cleared the way for Spidey as it has no more huge competition. Anyway, they're only strict with local films because they want these films to reflect their culture and ideologies. Not so much for foreign films.

China will never dominate the world film industry at this rate.

3 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Exact same legs off the second weekend as the first film (4.24x) would give SLOP2 just over $150 million. However, I doubt it will be as leggy as its predecessor given all the competition this summer. A finish in the $140 million range seems more realistic. 

Another animated movie barely escaping a sub 3x it looks like. I am starting to wonder if this is because animation is becoming less kid driven? With the state of VFX, maybe kids today are only interested in stuff that looks real like TLK. Kind of like how CG animation phased out hand drawn’s popularity with kids, maybe hyper-realistic CGI is phasing out any animation that doesn’t look like that with kids interests? 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

China will never dominate the world film industry at this rate.

What do you expect? These are basically how communist countries behave. Very strict and controlled. No one could even say what they really want to say because there's no free press. I believe a prominent man in the film industry voiced out his dissent regarding the sudden cancellation of The Eight Hundred, and many commenters agreed with him. But within hours all these comments were deleted by the censors.

Edited by UserHN

55 minutes ago, UserHN said:

What do you expect? These are basically how communist countries behave. Very strict and controlled. No one could even say what they really want to say because there's no free press. I believe a prominent man in the film industry voiced out his dissent regarding the sudden cancellation of The Eight Hundred, and many commenters agreed with him. But within hours all these comments were deleted by the censors.

And yet we keep pouring money into that country.

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Another animated movie barely escaping a sub 3x it looks like. I am starting to wonder if this is because animation is becoming less kid driven? With the state of VFX, maybe kids today are only interested in stuff that looks real like TLK. Kind of like how CG animation phased out hand drawn’s popularity with kids, maybe hyper-realistic CGI is phasing out any animation that doesn’t look like that with kids interests? 

Wut? What kind of crap take was that. 

Where are your examples? Just TLK? Which looks like shite? lol.

It's the property. It's the Lion King and Disney. 

And it shouldn't do that well because it's a transparent cash grab with no artistic merit, but it will. 

• ...wtf 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, superduperm said:

Any Monday estimates?

No idea.  But it seemed to have a pretty strong day on Pulse, and that's with a lot of early competition from TLK and strong sales all day long from FFH.

Any thoughts on the matter, @Menor?

Edited by Porthos

Bigger Sunday drop than Incredibles, if Monday drops slightly more again TS4 should still be hitting 14+ today. And if Monday drops more like Dory....

3 minutes ago, MattW said:

Bigger Sunday drop than Incredibles, if Monday drops slightly more again TS4 should still be hitting 14+ today. And if Monday drops more like Dory....

TS4 didn't have Father's Day Sunday

• Like 3

55% drop gives 15.3

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

TS4 didn't have Father's Day Sunday

Dory did and it dropped more Sunday and less Monday. Minions and SLoP didn't and they both dropped in the high 50% range. I don't see why TS4 would drop more today than those two. 34*0.41=14

2 minutes ago, MattW said:

Dory did and it dropped more Sunday and less Monday. Minions and SLoP didn't and they both dropped in the high 50% range. I don't see why TS4 would drop more today than those two. 34*0.41=14

Oh, my guess is it will drop less than ID2 which actually benefited from FD unlike Dory

• Like 2

strong weekdays that it's been having and a 32% drop for 9 will take Aladdin to about 304.

then 9*4x = 36 more would take it to 340 total.

350 can't be fully ruled out yet (though movies can loose steam in one weekend when it comes to getting a big milestone).

10 minutes ago, a2k said:

strong weekdays that it's been having and a 32% drop for 9 will take Aladdin to about 304.

then 9*4x = 36 more would take it to 340 total.

350 can't be fully ruled out yet (though movies can loose steam in one weekend when it comes to getting a big milestone).

1b is more and more likely

No Monday numbers yet? I'm curious about the hold. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

No idea.  But it seemed to have a pretty strong day on Pulse, and that's with a lot of early competition from TLK and strong sales all day long from FFH.

Any thoughts on the matter, @Menor?

I don't usually track Mondays as Pulse becomes a smaller portions of sales and thus less reliable each day after OW

15 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I find myself if kids are liking movies less and less these days in general. These days I wouldn't be surprised if barely any of them can sit through one, having been born in the iPad and smartphone age.

• Like 1