Jump to content
Tower

BOT's top 100 Black And White films.

Should lists with fewer than 50 films award half points?  

13 members have voted

  1. 1. Should lists with fewer than 50 films award half points?



Recommended Posts

B&W

 

  1. 12 Angry Men
  2. Seven Samurai 
  3. Young Frankenstein 
  4. Sunset Boulevard 
  5. Duck Soup
  6. Yojimbo 
  7. White Heat
  8. To Kill A Mockingbird 
  9. The Night of the Hunter 
  10. Treasure of the Sierra Madre
  11. Bride of Frankenstein 
  12. King Kong
  13. On the Waterfront 
  14. Casablanca 
  15. Stalag 17
  16. Dr Strangelove 
  17. Paths of Glory
  18. The Third Man
  19. Arsenic and Old Lace
  20. Stagecoach 
  21. The Maltese Falcon 
  22. Psycho 
  23. Touch of Evil
  24. Modern Times
  25. Godzilla 
  26. Double Indemnity 
  27. The Thin Man
  28. A Streetcar Named Desire 
  29. Grapes of Wrath
  30. Citizen Kane
  31. A Day At the Races
  32. Ed Wood
  33. A Hard Days Night
  34. Some Like It Hot
  35. M
  36. High Noon
  37. Night of the Living Dead
  38. The Hidden Fortress 
  39. All About Eve
  40. The Apartment 
  41. Rashomon
  42. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
  43. City Lights
  44. The Great Dictator
  45. Frankenstein 
  46. Clerks
  47. The Wolf Man
  48. A Night At the Opera
  49. Throne of Blood
  50. Grand Illusion
  51. The Manchurian Candidate 
Edited by DAR
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Might as well post this before I change my mind.

 

  1. The Apartment (1960)
  2. Notorious (1946)
  3. The Best Years Of Our Lives (1946)
  4. All About Eve (1950)
  5. Citizen Kane (1941)
  6. Wild Strawberries (1957)
  7. Random Harvest (1942)
  8. The Americanization of Emily (1964)
  9. Bringing Up Baby (1938)
  10. Some Like It Hot (1959)
  11. Captain Blood (1937)
  12. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
  13. Casablanca (1942)
  14. Wuthering Heights (1939)
  15. Born Yesterday (1950)
  16. Dr. Strangelove (1964)
  17. Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)
  18. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
  19. Rebecca (1940)
  20. Fanny (1932)
  21. The Sweet Smell Of Success (1957)
  22. A Christmas Carol (1951)
  23. The General (1926)
  24. Lilies of the Field (1963)
  25. Sunset Blvd. (1950)
  26. Touch Of Evil (1958)
  27. Rashomon (1950)
  28. To Be Or Not To Be (1942)
  29. The Wages of Fear (1953)
  30. Seven Days In May (1964)
  31. Laura (1944)
  32. Inherit The Wind (1960)
  33. The Hustler (1961)
  34. On The Waterfront (1954)
  35. The 39 Steps (1935)
  36. It Happened One Night (1934)
  37. Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
  38. Trouble in Paradise (1932)
  39. One, Two, Three (1961)
  40. Harvey (1950)
  41. Stalag 17 (1953)
  42. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
  43. Lost Horizon (1937)
  44. Young Frankenstein (1974)
  45. Ace in the Hole (1951)
  46. Little Foxes (1941)
  47. Lonely Are the Brave (1962)
  48. The Lady Vanishes (1938)
  49. The Third Man (1949)
  50. How Green Was My Valley (1941)
  51. The Elephant Man (1980)
  52. Gilda (1946)
  53. A Night at the Opera (1935)
  54. Strangers on a Train (1951)
  55. The Mark of Zorro (1940)
  56. 12 Angry Men (1957)
  57. Brief Encounter (1945)
  58. All Quiet On The Western Front (1930)
  59. Marius (1931)
  60. Sullivan's Travels (1941)
  61. 8½ (1963)
  62. Adam's Rib (1948)
  63. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold (1965)
  64. Aleksander Nevsky (1938)
  65. Double Indemnity (1944)
  66. The Heiress (1949)
  67. Duck Soup (1933)
  68. Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939)
  69. His Girl Friday (1940)
  70. La Grande Illusion (1937)
  71. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
  72. Great Expectations (1946)
  73. The Fallen Idol (1948)
  74. Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
  75. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
  76. Bank Dick (1940)
  77. Metropolis (1931)
  78. Modern Times (1936)
  79. Ed Wood (1994)
  80. Now, Voyager (1942)
  81. La Belle Et La Bete (1946)
  82. Design For Living (1934)
  83. César (1936)
  84. Roman Holiday (1953)
  85. The Ghost and Mrs Muir (1947)
  86. The Night of the Hunter (1955)
  87. The Thin Man (1934)
  88. The Uninvited (1944)
  89. Jezebel (1939)
  90. Top Hat (1935)
  91. My Man Godfrey (1936)
  92. The Shop Around The Corner (1940)
  93. Nightmare Alley (1947)
  94. Gaslight (1944)
  95. Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
  96. Oliver Twist (1948)
  97. The Big Sleep (1946)
  98. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
  99. The Rules of the Game (1939)
  100. Yojimbo (1961)
Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Tower, we were discussing a new policy about list tampering after JamesCameronScholar created alt accounts to pack the Score list.

 

The idea is to do a “ban” on accepting lists from users who have been caught list tampering (which right now, is JCScholar).

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Panda said:

Hey @Tower, we were discussing a new policy about list tampering after JamesCameronScholar created alt accounts to pack the Score list.

 

The idea is to do a “ban” on accepting lists from users who have been caught list tampering (which right now, is JCScholar).

I certainly won't accept any lists from Scholar in the future.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

So the list by "Hydrogen" should be thrown out now. 

I'm throwing out the lists of both Hydrogen and JCS. 

An annoying waste of time but it turned out for the best, since JCS trying to cheat this list is what led to him being exposed (I noticed that his lists were suspiciously similar and contacted the mods).

  • Like 14
  • Astonished 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tower said:

I'm throwing out the lists of both Hydrogen and JCS. 

An annoying waste of time but it turned out for the best, since JCS trying to cheat this list is what led to him being exposed (I noticed that his lists were suspiciously similar and contacted the mods).

 

tenor.gif?itemid=3536486

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tower said:

I'm throwing out the lists of both Hydrogen and JCS. 

An annoying waste of time but it turned out for the best, since JCS trying to cheat this list is what led to him being exposed (I noticed that his lists were suspiciously similar and contacted the mods).

You deserve most valuable poster award at the Boffy’s for this alone. Im gonna vote for you. 

 

As for the list, I’d had loved to contribute but I have seen fewer than 10 B&W movies so cant make a contribution

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

You deserve most valuable poster award at the Boffy’s for this alone. Im gonna vote for you. 

 

As for the list, I’d had loved to contribute but I have seen fewer than 10 B&W movies so cant make a contribution

It wasn't some amazing detective work. His two lists had the same films (48 out 50) that were just ordered differently, making it pretty obvious once you looked at it.

 

And you should watch some B&W movies, some of them are really good.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tower said:

It wasn't some amazing detective work. His two lists had the same films (48 out 50) that were just ordered differently, making it pretty obvious once you looked at it.

 

And you should watch some B&W movies, some of them are really good.

I will get to them eventually, I’m making a list of which ones to watch and this countdown will help me decide on that greatly. But I have huge backlog of movies, shows and games to catch up to. For example just finished God of War (2018) and moving yo Skyrim special edition now. Also currently tackling Supernatural which will take me around 2 months to finish. So it’ll take me timr getting around to this stuff. 

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tower said:

Since there is less than 2 days left I'm tagging everyone who has shown interest but hasn't submitted a list yet in case they forgot:

 

@captainwondyful @TServo2049 @MrGamer @peludo @SLAM! @terrestrial @Sheikh @grim22 @flynn2000 @cannastop

Thank you for this!  I was at SDCC.  I will have it first thing tomorrow.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

I don’t have a definitive, numbered list, so I will unfortunately have to pass. I had just wanted to share some of the ones I enjoy.

 

The same

 

I did try to sit down, but as I am not on the hunt for #1 in general (like my whole life has another kind of POV) and also do not think even all genres are 100% comparable (no matter if its about music, books, movies,...), it simply does not work.

Like the moment I e.g. go for a minute for a glass of water, its already changed, whilst still trying to force a ranking on the remaining titles on that kind of list.

 

Maybe someone can use mine and the lists of the others as inspiration whilst creating a ~ basket / list of titles to delve into b&w movies, or save some time per copying some of the lengthier titles, or .... or who knows, maybe in a year or two, someone wants to make a kind of list like I m used to: counting how often a certain title got added on all the lists.

 

 

to Tower:

Have a lot of fun, admiring the work you'll have to do with so many ranked lists!

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

 

The same

 

I did try to sit down, but as I am not on the hunt for #1 in general (like my whole life has another kind of POV) and also do not think even all genres are 100% comparable (no matter if its about music, books, movies,...), it simply does not work.

Like the moment I e.g. go for a minute for a glass of water, its already changed, whilst still trying to force a ranking on the remaining titles on that kind of list.

 

Maybe someone can use mine and the lists of the others as inspiration whilst creating a ~ basket / list of titles to delve into b&w movies, or save some time per copying some of the lengthier titles, or .... or who knows, maybe in a year or two, someone wants to make a kind of list like I m used to: counting how often a certain title got added on all the lists.

 

 

to Tower:

Have a lot of fun, admiring the work you'll have to do with so many ranked lists!

 

 

 

Ranking is hard and really nebulous.

 

When I do this I just go with how I feel at the moment.  Which ones I'd like to watch right now, which left the greatest impression.  If I still can't narrow it down I just think.-if my list was just 10 what would be on it and so on - if it was just 25 or just 50.  Points don't matter that much between groups of 10s .  Just don't overthink or sweat it.  It's not definitive.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Ranking is hard and really nebulous.

 

When I do this I just go with how I feel at the moment.  Which ones I'd like to watch right now, which left the greatest impression.  If I still can't narrow it down I just think.-if my list was just 10 what would be on it and so on - if it was just 25 or just 50.  Points don't matter that much between groups of 10s .  Just don't overthink or sweat it.  It's not definitive.

Thx, and I fully understand that, but it seems not to be enough:

I am only able to split the list into 3 groups, see an earlier post. All that goes farther... seems not to work.

 

Its the same whilst then watching a sports event:

all my friends were like stats or whatever for or contra this team or the other.

I went only if someone I know played too or if a team was included famous for being far above average with something quality-wise or rather unique, like that basketball team then, something with globetrotters in the name?

I enjoy to watch, but I never do 'stan' for any's team 'result'.

Its simply not in me, it even feels wrong ;-)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.