Tower

BOT's top 100 Black And White films.

Should lists with fewer than 50 films award half points?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should lists with fewer than 50 films award half points?

Tower, this is the list I just sent you.

1. Fail-Safe  (1965)
  2. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington  (1939)
  3. Citizen Kane  (1941)
  4. The House on Haunted Hill  (1959)
  5. Night of the Living Dead  (1968)
  6. Young Frankenstein  (1974)
  7. Paths of Glory  (1957)
  8. The Fountainhead  (1949)
  9. The Canterville Ghost  (1944)
  10. The Bedford Incident  (1965)
  11. Random Harvest  (1942)
  12. A Face in the Crowd  (1957)
  13. Saboteur  (1942)
  14. The Best Years of Our Lives  (1946)
  15. Ed Wood  (1994)
  16. Mighty Joe Young  (1949)
  17. The Grapes of Wrath  (1940)
  18. Seconds  (1966)
  19. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn  (1945)
  20. Tarzan and His Mate  (1934)
  21. Night of the Demon  (1957)
  22. The Tingler  (1959)
  23. Meet John Doe  (1941)
  24. The Unknown  (1927)
  25. Gojira (Godzilla)  (1954)
  26. Seven Days In May  (1964)
  27. Dr. Strangelove  (1964)
  28. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid  (1982)
  29. The Big Heat  (1953)
  30. Dam Busters  (1955)
  31. The Invisible Ray  (1936)
  32. 80,000 Suspects  (1963)
  33. The Thing From Another World  (1951)
  34. Tarzan The Ape Man  (1939)
  35. Invasion of the Body Snatchers  (1956)
  36. Kiss Me Deadly  (1955)
  37. The Day the Earth Stood Still  (1951)
  38. The Monolith Monsters  (1957)
  39. The Wrong Man  (1956)
  40. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers  (1956)
  41. The Invisible Man  (1933)
  42. Rocketship X-M  (1950)
  43. These are the Damned  (1962)
  44. They Drive by Night  (1940)
  45. It! The Terror from Beyond Space  (1958)
  46. The Incredible Shrinking Man  (1957)
  47. 12 to the Moon  (1960)
  48. Kronos  (1957)
  49. Daikaiju Gamera  (1966)
  50. Tarzan's New York Adventure  (1942)
  51. Freaks  (1932)
  52. The Hill  (1965)
  53. Last Man on Earth  (1965)
  54. Psycho  (1960)
  55. Girls Town  (1959)
  56. The Lady From Shanghai  (1947)
  57. The Elephant Man  (1982)
  58. Live Wires  (1946)
  59. 13 Ghosts  (1960)
Edited by flynn2000
strike out
  • Like 2

Tower just nixed my inclusion of 'The Tingler' and '13 Ghosts' as having minor color tinting added in post production.  This is rather technical but it's his rules so it's okay.  I'm curious though, does this disqualify silent movies? Many of them had hand coloring as well.  Also, will you really allow Mad Max: Blood and Chrome?  That's the most colorful Mad Max film of them all, that is until the desaturated version that was released on home video.

By the way, how does Fury Road look in black and white?  I'm curious at how well a color movie can be converted to B&W.  I'll have to get me a copy and see.

45 minutes ago, flynn2000 said:

Tower just nixed my inclusion of 'The Tingler' and '13 Ghosts' as having minor color tinting added in post production.  This is rather technical but it's his rules so it's okay.  I'm curious though, does this disqualify silent movies? Many of them had hand coloring as well.  Also, will you really allow Mad Max: Blood and Chrome?  That's the most colorful Mad Max film of them all, that is until the desaturated version that was released on home video.

By the way, how does Fury Road look in black and white?  I'm curious at how well a color movie can be converted to B&W.  I'll have to get me a copy and see.

Here's the thing. these are not films that I have seen, so in order to check for colour I search on IMDB. A film like The Cabinet Of Doctor Caligari is listed as Black And White with tinting, which is allowed. The Tingler on the other hand is just listed as having a part in colour. If the colour in Tingler is indeed tinting than it would be OK.

1 hour ago, Tower said:

Here's the thing. these are not films that I have seen, so in order to check for colour I search on IMDB. A film like The Cabinet Of Doctor Caligari is listed as Black And White with tinting, which is allowed. The Tingler on the other hand is just listed as having a part in colour. If the colour in Tingler is indeed tinting than it would be OK.

The color bit may be shot with color film.  I'll post a paragraph I pulled from Wikipedia about this.

"Although The Tingler was filmed in black-and-white, a short color sequence was spliced into the film. It showed a sink (in black-and-white) with bright-red "blood" flowing from the taps and a black-and-white Evelyn watching a bloody red hand rising from a bathtub, likewise filled with the bright red "blood". Castle used color film for the effect. The scene was accomplished by painting the set white, black and gray and applying gray makeup to the actress to simulate monochrome.  Some claim that the scene is actually filmed black and white and that they only paint the "blood" red on the film. This claim remains unknown."

Edited by flynn2000

I have plenty of films on my list, so losing a few is no big deal.

And by the way here's the entry for 13 Ghosts:

As with several of his more famous productions, Castle used a gimmick to promote the movie. For 13 Ghosts, audience members were given a choice: the "brave" ones could watch the movie and see the ghosts, while the apprehensive among them would be able to opt out of the horror and watch without the stress of having to see the ghosts. The choice came via the special viewer, supposedly "left by Dr. Zorba."

In the theatres, most scenes were black and white, but scenes involving ghosts were shown in a "process" dubbed Illusion-O: the filmed elements of the actors and the sets — everything except the ghosts — had a blue filter applied to the footage, while the ghost elements had a red filter and were superimposed over the frame.[4] Audiences received viewers with red and blue cellophane filters. Unlike early 3D glasses where one eye is red and the other is cyan or blue, the Illusion-O viewer required people to look through a single color with both eyes. Choosing to look through the red filter intensified the images of the ghosts, while the blue filter "removed" them.

The amount of colour in the Tingler sounds like Schindlers list, which wasn't allowed. In any case neither film would have made it anywhere near the top 100 so I'd rather keep it the way it is.

20 hours ago, Tower said:

Don't worry, you are not the only one. In fact you are not even the only one to have that specific film...

To be fair, I'm about 90% certain I only picked that film because I saw it on Numbers' list and unthinkingly assumed he was right.

On 7/23/2019 at 5:04 PM, rukaio101 said:

The funny thing is I'm about 90% certain I'm going to have remembered some other film that could've gone on my list instead about an hour after the deadline closes.

19 hours ago, flynn2000 said:

21.  Night of the Demon  (1957)

Son of a- !!

• Like 2