charlie Jatinder

The Admission Count Thread.

Well, it is true that TFA was way more attended in countries with more expensive tickets, and TA was bigger in countries with cheaper tickets, and one could think that the gap in admissions would be closer to 0. But even with this argument, I think the gap of $500m WW between both films is wide enough to compensate it. If I remember well (correct me if I am wrong), exchange rates in 2012 were quite good for BO and 3D share was still high. I am not so surprised with this result.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, peludo said:

Well, it is true that TFA was way more attended in countries with more expensive tickets, and TA was bigger in countries with cheaper tickets, and one could think that the gap in admissions would be closer to 0. But even with this argument, I think the gap of $500m WW between both films is wide enough to compensate it. If I remember well (correct me if I am wrong), exchange rates in 2012 were quite good for BO and 3D share was still high. I am not so surprised with this result.

The reason IMO was ER mostly making all 2007-2014 films look bigger than 2015-2019 biggies.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

Furious 7 managed to beat The Avengers but will stay below The Force Awakens. The footfall count is 225 million.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TH-Ls41nH4q1ap1ZLLdtIL7ZvBZLUPNyCBnGymiERFE/edit#gid=1607645077

The order of footfalls and inflation & ER adjusted gross at Endgame ticket rate is.

1. Titanic: 404mn ($3.48 bn)
  2. Avengers: Endgame: 393mn ($2.8 bn)
  3. Avengers: Infinity War: 300mn ($2.14 bn)
  4. Avatar: 286mn ($2.38 bn)

Misc

• Star Wars: The Force Awakens: 231mn ($2.07 bn)
  • Furious 7: 225mn ($1.59 bn)
  • The Avengers: 193mn ($1.46 bn)
  • Like 1

Jurassic World, well just like Furious 7 I expected it to be par The Force Awakens but it fell quite short with a puny (@THUNDER BIRD215mn and adjusted gross of $1,730mn.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TH-Ls41nH4q1ap1ZLLdtIL7ZvBZLUPNyCBnGymiERFE/edit#gid=816614926

Next Up - The Lion King 

PS. Seems like The Force Awakens may be in Top 5 since Titanic unless the King has something to say.

And yes, The King has something to say. With 245 million admits, The Lion King is the number five film so far in tracking since 1997. There's another King which may have say, will check that out tomorrow. 

However the gross at Avengers: Endgame rates is $1.83 Bn, which is less than The Force Awakens.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TH-Ls41nH4q1ap1ZLLdtIL7ZvBZLUPNyCBnGymiERFE/edit?usp=drivesdk

2 hours ago, Menor said:

I would be interested to see where The Phantom Menace and The Sorcerer's Stone stack up against say the Avengers. 

Well I did Return of the King and it is 175mn (+/- 5%) giving roughly $6.5 ATP worldwide. Potter and Star Wars are huge in UK and Japan where ATP was $12.5 and $9. Even Germany was $8.65.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TH-Ls41nH4q1ap1ZLLdtIL7ZvBZLUPNyCBnGymiERFE/edit#gid=117743446

Titanic did 370mn Approx in its first run grossing $1850mn Approx which work out $5 ticket price and it did huge in Asia where rates are very low, so I would take the normal Hollywood film price to be around $5.5-6 in 1999-2002, Potter did $975mn ($320mn in UK and Japan) & Phantom Menance did $924mn ($250mn in UK, Germany and Japan), accounting those they would be around 150mn each.

Even without that hassle, say Potter was 52% of Titanic and Phantom Menance was 50%, which will roughly account to 170mn, or adjusting for inflation 155-160mn.

• Like 2

I was wondering if LoTR: RoTK might be over 200mn, well it fall quite short at about 175mn. As discussed above neither of Potter or prequel trilogy are likely to cross 200mn either. (Say Potter 8 was half of Avatar, that will be 145mn approx).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TH-Ls41nH4q1ap1ZLLdtIL7ZvBZLUPNyCBnGymiERFE/edit#gid=424252602

At Endgame rates, LoTR: RoTK will be at $1.61 bn.

• Like 2

The confirmed 200mn admits so far since 1997 in order of release.

Titanic

Furious 7

Jurassic World

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Fate of the Furious (expected)

Avengers: Infinity War

Avengers: Endgame

The Lion King

Frozen II

The bold ones are over 300mn. The Avengers at 193mn, is within margin of error to 200mn. Fate of the Furious is most likely to be over 200mn as well.

• Like 2

Didn't realise but India was actually 2nd biggest market for Jurassic Park & Titanic in admits though After Titanic 3D its China.

Also Jurassic Park is certain 200mn as well. No point going before that. Will compile JP tommorow along with F2 & FF8.

• Like 1

I an curious about two first parts of LOTR, mainly FOTR, which was the biggest of the trilogy in admissions in some European countries. The gap in admissions with ROTK is not as big as the WW figures said (ERs in 2001-2002 were a joke).

19 minutes ago, peludo said:

I an curious about two first parts of LOTR, mainly FOTR, which was the biggest of the trilogy in admissions in some European countries. The gap in admissions with ROTK is not as big as the WW figures said (ERs in 2001-2002 were a joke).

Yeah in majority mature markets, Fellowship is bigger but I guess they will be in similar range only. Also shows, how even with same admissions in just span of 3 years, ER created that much gap in gross.

• Like 2