charlie Jatinder

The Admission Count Thread.

If it is possible to put all of the fandom stuff aside, this would really be interesting information.  The two biggest movies dollarwise of all-time compared in terms of admissions.  Also broken down regionally.  One of the big reasons I have lurked here for years is I see box office numbers as a window (albeit a small one) into what people find compelling on a national and global scale.  Seeing how two massive event films compare in both dollars and admissions is really interesting.

If you're worried about bias, make a point of fact checking and offering alternative hypotheses.  I doubt anyone is going to be able to pull a fast one over this whole community and slant the numbers.  Maybe I am beyond naive here, but... Why can't this be fun?

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Wait a second?

Is this thread an attempt to show that Endgame was more succesful than Avatar? Lmao it's not even close. Endgame in a 2009 sized market doesnt even make 2 billies.

Could be under Titanic if released in 2009, China grosses about $85M or so or in that range, in 2019 it got $630M.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sanderson said:

If it is possible to put all of the fandom stuff aside, this would really be interesting information.  The two biggest movies dollarwise of all-time compared in terms of admissions.  Also broken down regionally.  One of the big reasons I have lurked here for years is I see box office numbers as a window (albeit a small one) into what people find compelling on a national and global scale.  Seeing how two massive event films compare in both dollars and admissions is really interesting.

If you're worried about bias, make a point of fact checking and offering alternative hypotheses.  I doubt anyone is going to be able to pull a fast one over this whole community and slant the numbers.  Maybe I am beyond naive here, but... Why can't this be fun?

Dollars are the only objective measure. Adjusted dollars is a close second. Admissions isn’t even measured because you might as well count how many memes were shared or upvotes on Reddit a movie got at that point, the price of a movie can be set arbitrarily low to maximize admissions, and globally, admissions aren’t even tracked.

Charlie has made the claim so it’s up to him to support the claim. I haven’t been able to find a source for Charlie’s global admission claims except “3D”, “exchange rates”, but mostly “dude trust me”. My gut tells me Endgame has sold more because it’s putting a lot of butts in seats in countries where tickets are <$1. Good for Endgame, I guess? If you’re trying to measure “zeitgeist” it’s not even close, Titanic crushes Avatar which crushes Endgame... but that’s not the purpose of this thread. 

• Like 4

• Founder / Operator
15 hours ago, Nero said:

@Shawn maybe you can help? @RtheEnd you too? Please... At least @Charlie Jatinder  is providing some data but some Stan's of other movie think he is biased. Coz they are biased and don't want to admit the truth. Maybe you guys can clarify.... Thanks 

Which part specifically are you asking about? Which film sold more estimated tickets globally?

3 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Dollars are the only objective measure. Adjusted dollars is a close second. Admissions isn’t even measured because you might as well count how many memes were shared or upvotes on Reddit a movie got at that point, the price of a movie can be set arbitrarily low to maximize admissions, and globally, admissions aren’t even tracked.

Charlie has made the claim so it’s up to him to support the claim. I haven’t been able to find a source for Charlie’s global admission claims except “3D”, “exchange rates”, but mostly “dude trust me”. My gut tells me Endgame has sold more because it’s putting a lot of butts in seats in countries where tickets are <$1. Good for Endgame, I guess? If you’re trying to measure “zeitgeist” it’s not even close, Titanic crushes Avatar which crushes Endgame... but that’s not the purpose of this thread. 

Unadjusted gross is the best non-hassle measure, perhaps.

I think the overall best system of estimating "success" is actually using the proportion of the yearly global box office the film took (of the year of said film's release), the average top grossing films worldwide at the year of release (like the one @IronJimbo and I did), and maybe single market highest grossing records if available. These would be concrete undeniable data unlike personal estimation of global admission.

• Like 3

I love that at the time of Avatar's release I created a thread at the BOM forums detailing the admissions for GWTW showing that it took until the late 1940's until GWTW got anywhere near Avatar in Domestic admissions and now I have to deal with this.

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

Moderation 

Seriously!  Be civil and respectful. Accept that this is a thread for Endgame admissions. 

If you have nothing constructive to post DON’T post. 

There’s probably a thread somewhere to discuss admissions vs box office. 

There’s a GWTW Thread. 

There’s Avatar Threads. 

DON’T GET TRIGGERED!

If I wake up tomorrow and this thread has gone to crap points and threadbans will be issued. 

You have been warned. 

Regards

BOT Staff 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Alright, for Vietnam, admission is definitely 4M+.

The trades are reporting 285B final gross, however i think it should be a little bit higher, like 300B. Something weird was going on.

Still, now the ATP. CGV hold 50-60% of market shares and my rough calculations give a 75k ATP. Other chains' prices are ~15% cheaper than CGV, let's say 60k. That points to 65-70k national ATP. However, Endgame was released during a holiday weekend and made most of its money there, so ATP should land on the higher side, close to 70k.

That means 4.1-4.3M admission depending on which final you take.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Alright, for Vietnam, admission is definitely 4M+.

The trades are reporting 285B final gross, however i think it should be a little bit higher, like 300B. Something weird was going on.

Still, now the ATP. CGV hold 50-60% of market shares and my rough calculations give a 75k ATP. Other chains' prices are ~15% cheaper than CGV, let's say 60k. That points to 65-70k national ATP. However, Endgame was released during a holiday weekend and made most of its money there, so ATP should land on the higher side, close to 70k.

That means 4.1-4.3M admission depending on which final you take.

OK what about Avatar ... ???

• Like 1

In 51 overseas markets, with $1835 million Gross Approx, Avengers: Endgame has 284 million admissions. Coupled with 83 million approx in the Domestic market, the total of reported markets stand at 367 million.

There is $83 million gross still pending to compiled; using the average of reported overseas markets ($6.46), that would bring another 12.5-13 million admissions. I will try to compile as many as I can among any of these.

The total admissions of Avengers: Endgame is 380 million Approx worldwide.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

2 hours ago, Sunny Max said:

OK what about Avatar ... ???

BOT reports Avatar's gross in Viet Nam is $1,385,487 in 2010, a quick search shows that average ticket price in Viet Nam in 2010 is 80k - 120k VND ~ 4.1 - 6.1 USD. Let's take average ticket price of 5.1 USD so addmision will be 266370

17 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

In 51 overseas markets, with $1835 million Gross Approx, Avengers: Endgame has 284 million admissions. Coupled with 83 million approx in the Domestic market, the total of reported markets stand at 367 million.

There is $83 million gross still pending to compiled; using the average of reported overseas markets ($6.46), that would bring another 12.5-13 million admissions. I will try to compile as many as I can among any of these.

The total admissions of Avengers: Endgame is 380 million Approx worldwide.

5% of the planet populatin including new borns and 100+ year-olds. Not too shaby

Great thread for two domestic losers that a) bend the knee to TFA (Avatar) and b) couldn't come even close to TFA despite OW that was 110M higher (EG). tsk, tsk. ;)

joking aside, most original thread around. :bravo:

Edited by Valonqar

in Egypt EG made approximately 29,401,006 in local currency , the average ticket price in Egypt is 65EGP (about 3.90$)

if we factor that EG made a big chunk of its money from higher than ATP due to IMAX and other PLF screens, so lets say the ATP is 75-80EGP, that put the range between 367 and 392K, far from the 220k estimation

https://elcinema.com/en/work/2032663/boxoffice

https://www.expatistan.com/price/movies/cairo

great work,btw

Edited by Permanent Magnet
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Heroicpiglet said:

BOT reports Avatar's gross in Viet Nam is $1,385,487 in 2010, a quick search shows that average ticket price in Viet Nam in 2010 is 80k - 120k VND ~ 4.1 - 6.1 USD. Let's take average ticket price of 5.1 USD so addmision will be 266370

Avatar ticket price at that time was more expensive than that. It was from 80k to 150k, or even 180k - 200k . Until today, it is still higher than average standard ticket price.

https://tuoitre.vn/thi-truong-phim-nhap-khau-chieu-rap-o-viet-nam-gia-ve-chenh-nhau-chuc-lan-380678.htm

Lets take the average 120k.

BOT reports Avatar's gross in Viet Nam is $1,385,487

The ER at that time was 1USD = 17.800VND

So we have the admissions ~ 206k for Avatar

@Charlie Jatinder

@nguyenkhoi282

Edited by PKMLover

14 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I love that at the time of Avatar's release I created a thread at the BOM forums detailing the admissions for GWTW showing that it took until the late 1940's until GWTW got anywhere near Avatar in Domestic admissions and now I have to deal with this.

It’s like poetry, it rhymes.