charlie Jatinder

The Admission Count Thread.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:22 AM, HeadShot said:

As I said End Game would have had a much bigger percentage had it been release in a less competitive year this decade.

It depend how much admissions went more to top heavy title versus being a year with a special number of admissions, the former being irrelevant for that particular metric. 2019 was not a bigger jump versus the year before than 2017 was to 2016, 2012 to 2011 or 2015 to 2014

global box office

2019 : 42.5 billion

2018 : 41.1 billion

2017 : 40.5 billion

2016 : 38.8 billion

Making 2.8 billion in 2018 instead of 2019: 6.81% vs 6.59% of the global box office.

Very though year to crack the to 5 for a movie, but not necessarily particularly harsher in % of global take.

On 2/4/2020 at 1:39 AM, Jedi Jat said:

Frozen 2 would be 205mn.

NA: 53mn ($480mn)

Europe & MEA: 45mn ($370mn)

Asia & Oceania: 82mn ($520mn)

Latin America: 25mn ($80mn)

Total: 205mn ($1450mn)

I feel like you are underestimating Frozen's admissions in Europe ( and maybe in US as well though to a lesser extent). Don't forget it's an animated movie so kids prices should lower its average ticket price quite a bit. For example, you have its ATP in Europe at$8.22 but I don't even think there's any country there where its ATP was that high (maybe Germany? and if so, just barely).

On 2/5/2020 at 2:32 PM, Agafin said:

I feel like you are underestimating Frozen's admissions in Europe ( and maybe in US as well though to a lesser extent). Don't forget it's an animated movie so kids prices should lower its average ticket price quite a bit. For example, you have its ATP in Europe at$8.22 but I don't even think there's any country there where its ATP was that high (maybe Germany? and if so, just barely).

The film did huge in Scandinavia. ATPs are very high in those region.

Finland: $6.5mn (0.5mn admits) : $13

Norway: $8.7mn (0.67mn admits) : $13

Also

Switzerland: $8mn (0.5mn admits): $16

Germany is $9 while France was $7.5.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 11:52 AM, charlie Jatinder said:

The world cinema changed in mid 90s, IMO its better to compare the films in these last three decades only.

So I am leaving films released before that out of it. As I said Chinese local films could be different monster altogether. Indian film Sholay has over 325mn admits in just India and USSR. Chinese could be even bigger.

Yeah as expected, In China

For 35mm copy is The Shaolin Temple, 350M AD and 560M in all copy(including 35mm, 16mm, 8.75mm), Gross ¥100M . For All copy is Legend of the White Snake (1982) got 880M, Gross ¥120M.

11 minutes ago, setna said:

880 million admissions????

Have i understood well???

Yes.

The record in India is around 300mn admissions in 1975-1985 for a film called Sholay. China having bigger population and better economy than India, so not really surprising.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

Yes.

The record in India is around 300mn admissions in 1975-1985 for a film called Sholay. China having bigger population and better economy than India, so not really surprising.

In 1982?

Where was a big lack of technology in China?

I have my difficulties to believe it, Charlie.

What should be the way of accounting data in those times in China?

And the population in this year was just 1 b, so should go almost every chines to theatres.

I accept very well this 325 m from India, it seems reasonable, but  880 million.....Wolf warrior 2 was a big success in China with a population of 1.4 b, and it sold 160 million tickets, so 880, it seems to much to me... i don´t have ny source or data, just my feeling.

1 hour ago, setna said:

In 1982?

I have my difficulties to believe it, Charlie.

What should be the way of accounting data in those times in China?

And the population in this year was just 1 b, so should go almost every chines to theatres.

I accept very well this 325 m from India, it seems reasonable, but  880 million.....Wolf warrior 2 was a big success in China with a population of 1.4 b, and it sold 160 million tickets, so 880, it seems to much to me... i don´t have ny source or data, just my feeling.

The tickets were dirt cheap as I am told and there were screening other than theaters. Mobile screenings. The person who gave the information said the biggest of hit had over 2bn viewers but those includes free tickets.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 8:23 AM, setna said:

In 1982?

In some part of China, but even 65% of China having technology from the 60s is a giant market and a big lack of technology environment (no VHS but theater any form of projection quality being possible to attract people if the price is low enough and you do not need to give a % back once you own a print) can be really good for tickets sales. They had mobile projection team moving from rural village to rural village, hundreds of thousands of those, once you bought a print you could show it everywhere has much as you wanted.

It could all be exaggerated or really concentrated around Shanghai-Hong-Kong and other center but China started to screen movie regularly in 1899, Charlie Chaplin was a big star there: https://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/post/5873/history-of-the-hai-when-charlie-chaplin-came-to-town (has the silent era made is specially easy to export movies all around the world, Historians have chronicled that 29 Chaplin films had played in China between 1919-24 alone.)

For a short period after the openning up very late 70s before 1989:

According to this

https://revistes.ub.edu/index.php/JESB/article/download/j021/20377

You have a silent era golden age like in the USA before the communist revolation in the 1930s.

When the cultural revolution end and something else than propaganda documentary get made, you have an explosion at the box office:

The demand responded to the end of the Cultural Revolution with positivity, and in 1979, the attendance in theaters hit 29.3 billion a year !!

China population was 1 billion, that would mean people going to theater in average 30 times a year, like they did in the USA before television and suburbs came along, after that year box office declined every year (not being novel and I imagine technology like TV becoming more prevalent) but it is almost certain that attendance records would be almost all from that era from China, you have the low tech environment of the USA pre 50s + 1 billion people combo. Maybe some movie in India matched that or the Gone With the Winds-Titanic-Star Wars-Avengers but it would not be surprising that in reality it was one of those Chinese movies playing between 1979-1984, the ticket sales were much much bigger than worldwide now.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Barnack said:

In some part of China, but even 65% of China having technology from the 60s is a giant market and a big lack of technology environment (no VHS but theater any form of projection quality being possible to attract people if the price is low enough and you do not need to give a % back once you own a print) can be really good for tickets sales. They had mobile projection team moving from rural village to rural village, hundreds of thousands of those, once you bought a print you could show it everywhere has much as you wanted.

It could all be exaggerated or really concentrated around Shanghai-Hong-Kong and other center but China started to screen movie regularly in 1899, Charlie Chaplin was a big star there: https://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/post/5873/history-of-the-hai-when-charlie-chaplin-came-to-town (has the silent era made is specially easy to export movies all around the world, Historians have chronicled that 29 Chaplin films had played in China between 1919-24 alone.)

For a short period after the openning up very late 70s before 1989:

According to this

https://revistes.ub.edu/index.php/JESB/article/download/j021/20377

You have a silent era golden age like in the USA before the communist revolation in the 1930s.

When the cultural revolution end and something else than propaganda documentary get made, you have an explosion at the box office:

The demand responded to the end of the Cultural Revolution with positivity, and in 1979, the attendance in theaters hit 29.3 billion a year !!

China population was 1 billion, that would mean people going to theater in average 30 times a year, like they did in the USA before television and suburbs cam along, after that year box office declined every year (not being novel and I imagine technology like TV becoming more prevalent) but it is almost certain that attendance records would be almost all from that era from China, you have the low tech environment of the USA pre 50s + 1 billion people combo. Maybe some movie in India matched that or the Gone With the Winds-Titanic-Star Wars-Avengers but it would not be surprising that in reality it was one of those Chinese movies playing between 1979-1984, the ticket sales were much much bigger than worldwide now.

Hello Barnack, thanks for your excellent answer, it´s a pleasure to me read posts like this, from people who really cares about box office.

I´m agree with most what you say and also with Charlie said before, but my big doubt is how in the hell they could count the number of admissions in those years???!!!

Even in USA, the most developed market in movie worldwide they don´t have very good data pre 1982, so in rural China in 1965, how can they have a good research about tickets sold???

Charlie said in their previous post that a movie sold  2.6 billiion tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This was almost the complete population of earth in this year...i really have big doubts about these numbers....

23 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The tickets were dirt cheap as I am told and there were screening other than theaters. Mobile screenings. The person who gave the information said the biggest of hit had over 2bn viewers but those includes free tickets.

2.6 billion tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie, is this science fiction thread???

The population on earth in that year, was slightly over this number.....

really hard to believe, really hard....

39 minutes ago, setna said:

2.6 billion tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie, is this science fiction thread???

The population on earth in that year, was slightly over this number.....

really hard to believe, really hard....

I guess these would be propoganda films shown in mobile projections free of cost in many years. so possible I guess. Despite 2.6Bn viewers, gross is just ¥40mn.

That guy is pretty reliable for old Chinese box office.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, setna said:

I´m agree with most what you say and also with Charlie said before, but my big doubt is how in the hell they could count the number of admissions in those years???!!!

Charlie said in their previous post that a movie sold  2.6 billiion tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This was almost the complete population of earth in this year...i really have big doubts about these numbers....

Those would be estimate (even now in the USA admissions numbers are often part estimate).

Has for ridiculous high numbers of ticket versus the population that would be a bit like Gone With the Winds numbers being above the USA population of it's year of release, it is the movie playing for year's and year's and people watching it many time in theater, we need to put ourself back in a world of cheap projection and no way to watch a movie ever if you do not go see on in theater (and like most things a bit of extrapolation, because they are estimate people doing them can choose variable for the most impressive numbers when they do have a choice).

Finished Avengers: Infinity War. Crossed 300 million admissions, 3rd Highest since Titanic 1997, ahead of Avatar.

Next up The Avengers, The Force Awakens, The Lord of The Rings: Return of the King.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TH-Ls41nH4q1ap1ZLLdtIL7ZvBZLUPNyCBnGymiERFE/edit#gid=1848255489

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is bit surprising. I thought The Avengers will be close to The Force Awakens but it fell short by some 35mn, with just 193mn admissions and inflation & ER adjusted gross in 2019 of $1.466 Billion at Avengers: Endgame ticket rates.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TH-Ls41nH4q1ap1ZLLdtIL7ZvBZLUPNyCBnGymiERFE/edit#gid=223167057