charlie Jatinder

The Admission Count Thread.

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

In Japan, GWTW’s box office revenue was close to 190 million yen, which was the second-largest box office in Japan that year, and the first in imports. There were also millions of viewers.

As per Corpse, GWTW had 3.4mn admits. 190mn Yen would be $0.6mn Approx.

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I honestly don't believe Australia 39mn figure. That's some BS.

Also GWTW North America numbers are close to 160mn.

Europe seems about right. France with 40mn population had 15mn viewers. Germany with 68mn population has 13mn viewers while UK with 50mn population is said to be 35mn but as is case with all BFI numbers, that number is some BS, may be reality was close to 20mn. So in 158mn population countries it had 48mn Approx viewership.

Not counting USSR, Europe had 300mn population in 1950s, which shall have the film around 90mn perhaps.

Now USSR donno how big it was or whether the film even released there.

The problem I am not able to understand is that where did GWTW grossed $200mn internationally. The ATP in Germany was equivalent to 0.45 euro in 1950, which roughly give $7mn Approx gross. Similarily UK I can go at max $12mn using 20mn admissions.

The only explanation I can find is multiple re-releases, with big releases more recently (with recently I mean during 60s-70s-80s).

For example, France re-released in 1962 with, apparently, 2.15 million admissions (http://www.jpbox-office.com/fichfilm.php?id=9695&view=2). But average ticket price was €0.34 (€0.11 in 1950).

But with this ticket prices, I agree that it does not seem enough to reach those $200m.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, peludo said:

The only explanation I can find is multiple re-releases, with big releases more recently (with recently I mean during 60s-70s-80s).

For example, France re-released in 1962 with, apparently, 2.15 million admissions (http://www.jpbox-office.com/fichfilm.php?id=9695&view=2). But average ticket price was €0.34 (€0.11 in 1950).

But with this ticket prices, I agree that it does not seem enough to reach those $200m.

Ohh JP has listed it separetely, I thought it had only one release. That will be the case throughout Europe I guess, but that still feels odd.

Also since Euro started only in late 90s, how do they make equivalence to years before that? But I can live with 350-375mn Approx admissions, as in USA did $200mn roughly with 160mn admits, Europe which is more or less same as USA, could have done $200mn with 200mn admits.

BTW, for 2001 release and 1mn admits, €1mn is really less.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

49 minutes ago, LPLC said:

I made research about opening of Endgame and I found that Endgame made around 170M-175M admissions during his opening weekend on 26th April - 28th April, Am I right ?

393mn plus full run of $2.8Bn for ATP of $7.12.

First weekend ATP shall be $7.5 range giving it 164mn range admission.

Other way is to do count,

China: 42.9mn

USA: 31.7mn

Mexico: 9.4mn

India: 8.5mn

South Korea: 6.3mn

Brazil: 5.5mn

UK: 5mn

Rest: 55mn

Total: 163.8mn

This includes Wednesday & Thursday of many countries. A pure FSS will be

USA: 31.7mn

China: 23mn

Mexico: 9.4mn

India: 8.5mn

South Korea: 5mn

Brazil: 4mn

UK: 3.7mn

Rest: 36mn

Total: 120.6mn

15 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Ohh JP has listed it separetely, I thought it had only one release. That will be the case throughout Europe I guess, but that still feels odd.

Also since Euro started only in late 90s, how do they make equivalence to years before that? But I can live with 350-375mn Approx admissions, as in USA did $200mn roughly with 160mn admits, Europe which is more or less same as USA, could have done $200mn with 200mn admits.

BTW, for 2001 release and 1mn admits, €1mn is really less.

Concerning equivalences, when Euro started, it was fixed an equivalence for each currency (the exchange rate between both currencies by December 31st, 1998):

1 euro = 166.386 Pesetas (Spain)

1 euro = 1.95583 Marks (Germany)

1 euro = 6.55957 Francs (France)

And the same with the other currencies which disappeared with Euro.

I am not sure if I understand what you mean with the 2001 release and 1mn admits... maybe this? https://sede.mcu.gob.es/CatalogoICAA/Peliculas/Detalle?Pelicula=69801

I insist that the 1 million admissions figure comes from 1950s. The 2001 release date could be a re-release date which the Ministry has registered, but no the original one. I can confirm you that Gone with the wind did not sell 1 million admissions in 2001. That is for sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LPLC said:

@charlie Jatinder Can you make a top 5 of the most watched movie in Asia/Europe/NA/Latin America/Oceania ?

I think for Asia the number 1 is AEG, for Europe, it's Titanic, NA this is Star Wars, Latin America = Toy Story 4 and Oceania = Avatar but maybe I'm wrong

Talking only modern films, say since 1997. Asia and Latin America is Avengers: Endgame and Europe & Oceania is Titanic.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:39 AM, charlie Jatinder said:

Thanks for the wonderful work, Charlie, for a data freak like me this is paradise.
Even though, i am not agree with AEG sold more tickets than Titanic in its first run. 

I have no evidence but i have the feeling that minimum 50 million admisssions are lost from countries with bad acounting technology at this year, but thanks a lot anyway!!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, setna said:

Thanks for the wonderful work, Charlie, for a data freak like me this is paradise.
Even though, i am not agree with AEG sold more tickets than Titanic in its first run. 

I have no evidence but i have the feeling that minimum 50 million admisssions are lost from countries with bad acounting technology at this year, but thanks a lot anyway!!!!

There isn't really any admission lost as admission are basically estimated from the gross which was officially reported.

The reason for Titanic being smaller in 1st run is same as ET/Star Wars is smaller than Titanic, the international markets. The international markets outside Europe are bigger than they were in 90s. China had just 16mn admits in 1st run while Endgame is 86mn.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

There isn't really any admission lost as admission are basically estimated from the gross which was officially reported.

The reason for Titanic being smaller in 1st run is same as ET/Star Wars is smaller than Titanic, the international markets. The international markets outside Europe are bigger than they were in 90s. China had just 16mn admits in 1st run while Endgame is 86mn.

Bigger or maybe the lack of accounting systems??!!

You said that there were chinese and indian movies in the 60, 70 and 80´s with more than 300 million admissions and today the recrod books in these countries are quite smaller than those numbers....

Edited by setna

17 minutes ago, setna said:

Bigger or maybe the lack of accounting systems??!!

You said that there were chinese and indian movies in the 60, 70 and 80´s with more than 300 million admissions and today the recrod books in these countries are quite smaller than those numbers....

Cinema before 80s was bit different. Cinema was only place you where you can watch a film. In 80s with coming up of VCRs, that stopped and admission went down. Only one Indian film is over 200mn or for that matter 150mn.

I am no Chinese expert but yesterday I was given some data, In 1979, there were 29 Billion viewership in China. That includes mobile cinema. Now I don't know what exactly were those numbers but that's what.

24 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Cinema before 80s was bit different. Cinema was only place you where you can watch a film. In 80s with coming up of VCRs, that stopped and admission went down. Only one Indian film is over 200mn or for that matter 150mn.

I am no Chinese expert but yesterday I was given some data, In 1979, there were 29 Billion viewership in China. That includes mobile cinema. Now I don't know what exactly were those numbers but that's what.

By the way, why did you put ANH and not E.T.?

I thought that Joker might be big in admissions and perhaps with China release 200mn was possible but I doubt it would have got 46mn admits in China, so yeah it will fall quite short.

The OS-C numbers for a comicbook film were huge at $739mn which I think no non-Avengers CBM has, in terms of admits, those are around 117mn, bigger than The Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron as well, which were 115mn and 113mn respectively.

• Like 2

Charlie, are you able to get an admission list domestic for movies like Jaws, The Exorcist and Sound of music?

Would be very interesting to see breakdown for these movies, cause idon´t think they got this monster numbers with just one run.

Thanks!!!

2 hours ago, setna said:

Charlie, are you able to get an admission list domestic for movies like Jaws, The Exorcist and Sound of music?

Would be very interesting to see breakdown for these movies, cause idon´t think they got this monster numbers with just one run.

Thanks!!!

Just for clarification, the domestic numbers I have used aren't actuals but estimated. The way Mojo has put numbers, is simply dividing the gross by ATP of that year, while I have taken a price roughly 5-10% higher as is the case with big grossers. 

On 6/22/2020 at 4:41 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

As per Corpse, GWTW had 3.4mn admits. 190mn Yen would be $0.6mn Approx.

This is just the initial release though in 1952.

Gone with the Wind - 1952 - ¥190m - 3.46m

Gone with the Wind - 1961 - ¥276m - 3.25mn

Gone with the Wind - 1967 - ¥454m - 1.92mn

Gone with the Wind - 1972 - ¥285m - 0.69mn

So that is at least 9.3m admissions in Japan just in the four years that it was in the top 10 yearly chart.

• Like 2