charlie Jatinder

The Admission Count Thread.

6 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Weird thing happened.

I filled the European grosses like Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Austria, Poland, etc estimated from Europe admits for Harry Potter, which aren't on Mojo

&

Mojo has numbers of UK, Germany, Spain, Netherlands way low than the numbers reported.

e.g. Germany gross is €75.6mn, which should be $86mn but Mojo only has $67mn. Similarly Spain is €28mn, should be $31mn but Mojo has it at $24.5mn. Similarily UK GBP66mn, should be $96mn but they have it at only $84mn. I suspect same in France but I don't have EUR gross to confirm this. So after correcting them.

I found that International gross is underreported. I won't be surprised if Potter is already $995-1005mn Approx.

Also due to filling the data of European countries now, the admits are around 168mn Approx, but I am assuming $1000mn gross worldwide.

@peludo what you say about European grosses being wrong.

Edit: Japan number should be $158mn, so $996mn coming. Hopefully on Friday Warner announce Billion Dollar.

By the end of 2001, euro was weaker than dollar. It was about 1€ = 0.9$. So dollar amounts were lower than euro amounts:

https://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php?A=1&C1=USD&C2=EUR&DD1=15&MM1=11&YYYY1=2001&B=1&P=&I=1&DD2=15&MM2=12&YYYY2=2001&btnOK=Go!

Applying that XR to Spain: €27.6m = $24.7m, what fits with BOM figure.

For this reason I have always found really meritory that both HP1 and FOTR could make those OS amounts with a so heavy weight from Euro markets relative to other markets. Just to put into context, nothing excepting the LOTR sequels, Avatar and a local film has sold more admissions in Spain since then.

I do not know what to say about UK case. It is true that HP1 did 66 million pounds, what would mean about those $95m you say (about 0.7 pounds = 1$). But I would not doubt too much about OS total gross. If I am not wrong, meanwhile BOM updates the total OS gross with what the studio say, BOM figures for each markets are given with other sources, what could not be really updated.

Anyway, as you say, Warner should announce the billion mark with the Chinese re-release.

8 minutes ago, peludo said:

By the end of 2001, euro was weaker than dollar. It was about 1€ = 0.9$. So dollar amounts were lower than euro amounts

Ah shit. I was reading it other way around $1=€0.9. That will make a whole lot of sense.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

After all corrections, Potter 1 admits are around 180mn and inflation & ER adjusted gross of $1.72 Billion. Added a separate column, as to if HP 1 had Titanic exchange rates and ticket rates, it would have done $800mn overseas as compared to $663mn it did originally in 2001.

Poor Potter.

42 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

After all corrections, Potter 1 admits are around 180mn and inflation & ER adjusted gross of $1.72 Billion. Added a separate column, as to if HP 1 had Titanic exchange rates and ticket rates, it would have done $800mn overseas as compared to $663mn it did originally in 2001.

Poor Potter.

Yes. Ending of 2001 and beginning of 2002 was a horrible period for XRs. The worst I can remember.

Looking at Potter case, on the other side, it was benefited in its latest entries, since 2008-2010 period was the best I can remember. DH2 even added 3D fever with still very good XRs.

• Like 1

So did Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring.

Though largely similar, but FOTR is bigger "grosser" outside USA, even Canada than ROTK. But overall thanks to USA, will be bigger than FOTR. Admits wise ROTK a bit ahead may be.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some estimates for DMC and AWE

Spoiler

Dead Man's Chest Admits

DOM 64.58

Austria 0.88
Belgium 1.19
Bulgaria 0.15
Switzerland 0.67
Czech Republic 0.58
Germany 7.23
Denmark 0.52
Estonia 0.1
Spain 5.42
Finland 0.46
France 6.5
United Kingdom 10.78
Hungary 0.53
Iceland 0.07
Italy 3.3
Lithuania 0.07
Luxembourg 0.05
Latvia 0.09
Netherlands 1.49
Norway 0.67
Poland 1.07
Portugal 0.64
Romania 0.09
Russia 5.98
Sweden 1.14
Slovenia 0.14
Slovakia 0.19
Turkey 1.01

Australia 3.67
Hong Kong 0.66
Indonesia 0.73
Japan 7.75
Malaysia 1
Singapore 0.52
South Korea 4.63
Taiwan 0.64
Thailand 1.16

Argentina 1.18
Brazil 3.12
Mexico 5.02

Spoiler

At World's End Admits

DOM 44.97

Austria 0.72
Belgium 1.04
Bulgaria 0.13
Switzerland 0.61
Czech Republic 0.44
Germany 6.05
Denmark 0.59
Estonia 0.08
Spain 4.1
Finland 0.36
France 5.76
United Kingdom 8.05
Hungary 0.44
Iceland 0.05
Italy 2.73
Lithuania 0.08
Luxembourg n/a
Latvia n/a
Netherlands 1.23
Norway 0.55
Poland 1.07
Portugal 0.51
Romania 0.1
Russia 5.82
Sweden 0.85
Slovenia 0.11
Slovakia 0.13
Turkey 0.97

Australia 3.13
China 8.66
Hong Kong 0.81
Indonesia 1.01
Japan 8.4
Malaysia 1.53
Singapore 0.6
South Korea 5
Taiwan 0.65
Thailand 1.12

Argentina 1.3
Brazil 3.82
Mexico 6.54

So ~145m for DMC and ~130m for AWE

Sources are BOM, Lumiere (for Europe), Corpse (for Japan), Focus Market Trends 2007, 2009 and 2009 (for the Americas and Asian countries other than Japan) and MPDAA/Screen Australia (for Australia).

Edited by lab276
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, lab276 said:

So ~145m for DMC and ~130m for AWE

Considering you took UK and DOM from Lumiere and Mojo respectively, numbers there will be a bit (10-15% lower) as non-Kids Blockbuster have higher tickets than normal Average tickets of the market. So perhaps 135-140 & 120-125 respectively.

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So did Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring.

Though largely similar, but FOTR is bigger "grosser" outside USA, even Canada than ROTK. But overall thanks to USA, will be bigger than FOTR. Admits wise ROTK a bit ahead may be.

Relative to Spanish data, just to point that several sources, including Ministry of Culture, FOTR sold over 7.042 million with these 2 releases:

https://sede.mcu.gob.es/CatalogoICAA/Peliculas/Detalle?Pelicula=10701

https://sede.mcu.gob.es/CatalogoICAA/Peliculas/Detalle?Pelicula=140603

• Like 1

It’s so weird to me that the movies that were huge when I was growing up (in the 2000s), like LOTR, HP, Pirates etc... felt so huge and in the zeitgeist at the time. But they pale in comparison to movies today, apparently, that feel much lesser to me like Frozen 2 and TLK ‘19, Jurassic World and the Fast movies. And frankly even the later Avengers movies. There’s a bit of cognitive dissonance there for me. 

Edited by lab276

10 minutes ago, lab276 said:

It’s so weird to me that the movies that were huge when I was growing up (in the 2000s), like LOTR, HP, Pirates etc... felt so huge and in the zeitgeist at the time. But they pale in comparison to movies today, apparently, that feel much lesser to me like Frozen 2 and TLK ‘19, Jurassic World and the Fast movies. And frankly even the later Avengers movies. There’s a bit of cognitive dissonance there for me. 

I am not sure about Australia, but that could part of the reason, LORT, HP, Pirates could have been has big if not bigger in your market. (let alone inflation and other factor, where they that much bigger in Australia ?)

35 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Part of it can be to the fact that 2004-2009 had like ridiculously good exchange rates, so worldwide grosses in hindsight keep looking better.

Exchange rate are bad now but the new markets have grown, so that sorta cancelled out a bit and Disney is just on fire with their ridiculous IP power, which we saw in 2019. 

45 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I am not sure about Australia, but that could part of the reason, LORT, HP, Pirates could have been has big if not bigger in your market. (let alone inflation and other factor, where they that much bigger in Australia ?)

19 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Part of it can be to the fact that 2004-2009 had like ridiculously good exchange rates, so worldwide grosses in hindsight keep looking better.

Exchange rate are bad now but the new markets have grown, so that sorta cancelled out a bit and Disney is just on fire with their ridiculous IP power, which we saw in 2019. 

These things are true, and I hadn't thought about that exchange rates might be worse now than back in the mid-2000s. But if you had put a gun to my head and asked me which of DMC or Frozen 2 sold more tickets WW, I would absolutely have said that Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, the third ever movie to break a billion, was the bigger movie.

That might also be part of it, DMC was at one stage the third biggest movie ever, behind only Titanic and ROTK. Whereas Frozen 2 debuted as the 10th biggest movie ever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Costa Rica is reported in Central America. Is there any Lumiere database for Latin America? Can you share the link?

On Lumière, in Latin America there is data for Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador Mexico and Peru. There is also some data but less important for Venezuela and the Dominican Republic.

Each year Lumière Database puts a FOCUS on the previous year online. This year the FOCUS 2020 for the year 2019 was paid I don't know why it is usually free but I managed to access it. There is plenty of data on other countries in Europe, North America, Oceania, Africa and of course Europe. I already tried to share the link yesterday but it didn't work. Do you want me to tell you how to access it ?

2 hours ago, lab276 said:

IMO, growth of expanding markets explains your feeling, specially, of course, China. Look at the OS figures excluding China and you will see that the gap between those films can be explained with just inflation. In fact, LOTR, HP or even Pirates were bigger in certain areas.

32 minutes ago, LPLC said:

Each year Lumière Database puts a FOCUS on the previous year online. This year the FOCUS 2020 for the year 2019 was paid I don't know why it is usually free but I managed to access it. There is plenty of data on other countries in Europe, North America, Oceania, Africa and of course Europe. I already tried to share the link yesterday but it didn't work. Do you want me to tell you how to access it ?

Ohh you mean FOCUS Yearbook. Yeah the recent year is paid.

Yeah you can DM me how to access that or mail me.