China - 0 vs 87M vs 62M
DOM - 70M vs 83M vs 67M

LATAM - 59M vs 70M vs 56M

Asia - 43M vs 84M vs 65M

Middle East & Africa - 9M vs 8M vs 6M

Europe - 53M vs 55M vs 41M

Oceania - 6M vs 6.5M vs 4.8M

Total - 240M vs 393M vs 302M

It's funny to see that NWH is dominating IW almost in every continent except China (for obvious reason) and Asian market : Is it because of COVID ? More interest there for the Avengers movies than for the Spiderman movies ? Others reasons ?

1 hour ago, LPLC said:

Is it because of COVID ? More interest there for the Avengers movies than for the Spiderman movies ? Others reasons ?

Some markets CoVID is factor. Missed 3-4M in Korea surely, another 5M in Phillipines, Thailand & Vietnam.

And ofc undoubtedly smaller movie than Avengers, like India is just 11 vs 21 of EG & 17 of IW.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LPLC said:

Yeah. At end of run though the numbers will be round what I posted last night.

• Like 1

As a % of total audience (i.e population), which country has the best movie going industry? For instance, using Endgame as an example, I know it sold about 83M tickets domestically VS a population of 376M or so. So DOM = 22 out of 100. 

I know SK did around 27 out of 100. Mexico around 19 out of 100. China only about 6.5 out of 100. Can anyone beat SK?

5 hours ago, RiddlerXXR said:

As a % of total audience (i.e population), which country has the best movie going industry? For instance, using Endgame as an example, I know it sold about 83M tickets domestically VS a population of 376M or so. So DOM = 22 out of 100. 

I know SK did around 27 out of 100. Mexico around 19 out of 100. China only about 6.5 out of 100. Can anyone beat SK?

There are few:

1.5m people in Norway watched Titanic with 4.5m population.

2m people watched Titanic in Switzerland with Population of 7m.

Close Enough

2m people watched Titanic and then, Mamma Mia in Sweden with 10m population.

1.8m people watched Bohemian Rhapsody in CzechR with 10m population.

1 minute ago, Shanks said:

There are few:

1.5m people in Norway watched Titanic with 4.5m population.

2m people watched Titanic in Switzerland with Population of 7m.

Close Enough

2m people watched Titanic and then, Mamma Mia in Sweden with 10m population.

1.8m people watched Bohemian Rhapsody in CzechR with 10m population.

Yea I was thinking more of like an overall average. Titanic 1st run domestically was 130M out of 300M (43%) which is higher than almost any population for any film. 

3 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Yea I was thinking more of like an overall average. Titanic 1st run domestically was 130M out of 300M (43%) which is higher than almost any population for any film. 

You gave example of Endgame.... 

Anyway, If I take average of South Korean movies total yearly Attendance that comes way below 4m. How on earth your average is so high that you reach 27/100? How are you exactly deciding Average? 

9 minutes ago, Shanks said:

You gave example of Endgame.... 

Anyway, If I take average of South Korean movies total yearly Attendance that comes way below 4m. How on earth your average is so high that you reach 27/100? How are you exactly deciding Average? 

Well I was using Endgame as an example because I knew a few admission numbers off the top of my head. I guess what I'm asking is like, if you took the Top 10 films of each year in each country, on average which country has the highest attendance %? Like the top 10 DOM in 2019 sells 400M tickets (lets say) and there is 376M people in the DOM market. So that's 106% of the population. 

Is Mexico higher? Is SK higher? China? UK? France? Etc etc. 

We can't do as an average of all films in a given market because you could have 200 films that sell 5,000 tickets (DOM for instance) and that drastically lowers the average. On the flip side, we can't just do outright ticket sales because China would definitely be tops.  

Edited by RiddlerXXR

Avg admission per capita is one approach.

USA is 3.4 an year in 2019

France 3.2

Iceland 3.5

Australia 3.3

New Zealand 3.2

Korea 4.2

Hong Kong 3.2

Singapore 3.3

The top film in these in last decade

USA/CAN - 22% (TFA)

France - 30% (Intouchables)

Australia - 26% (TFA)

Korea - 34% (The Admiral)

Hong Kong - 23% (AEG)

Singapore - 28% (AEG)

Japan - 23% (DS)

South Indian states

TS - 36% (Baahubali 2)

AP - 28% (Baahubali 2)

TN - 20% (Baahubali 2)

Kerala - 24% (Pulimurugan)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

What would a Titanic type run equal in terms of total box office in 2022? I'm guess $4-5 billion

Depends on what you mean, exactly. There are lots of different ways to interpret that.

A film today that gets as many admits as Titanic did (about 400-420M) does probably 10-30% more than Endgame (depending on the distribution of the markets). 

A film today that breaks the global record by the same percentage as Titanic did in it's first run would be about $5.5-6B. 

A film today that beats market records by the same percentages as Titanic did in it's first run would be closer to $8B. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Depends on what you mean, exactly. There are lots of different ways to interpret that.

A film today that gets as many admits as Titanic did (about 400-420M) does probably 10-30% more than Endgame (depending on the distribution of the markets). 

A film today that breaks the global record by the same percentage as Titanic did in it's first run would be about $5.5-6B. 

A film today that beats market records by the same percentages as Titanic did in it's first run would be closer to $8B. 

Jesus Christ man, I hope I get to see another Titanic esque run in terms of % in my lifetime or something even close

8 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Avg admission per capita is one approach.

USA is 3.4 an year in 2019

France 3.2

Iceland 3.5

Australia 3.3

New Zealand 3.2

Korea 4.2

Hong Kong 3.2

Singapore 3.3

The top film in these in last decade

USA/CAN - 22% (TFA)

France - 30% (Intouchables)

Australia - 26% (TFA)

Korea - 34% (The Admiral)

Hong Kong - 23% (AEG)

Singapore - 28% (AEG)

Japan - 23% (DS)

South Indian states

TS - 36% (Baahubali 2)

AP - 28% (Baahubali 2)

TN - 20% (Baahubali 2)

Kerala - 24% (Pulimurugan)

Damn not only have a lot of inhabitants and expensive tickets, but Americans also go to the cinema more often than the French. I bet their box office is that huge 😲

9 hours ago, MG10 said:

Damn not only have a lot of inhabitants and expensive tickets, but Americans also go to the cinema more often than the French. I bet their box office is that huge 😲

I think the highest average with difference is in South Korea. I can´t remember where i saw the data about worldwwide box office and admissions per country and SK is like 200 million admissions in 2019, what gives more than 4 times per year per inhabitant. 

17 hours ago, JonahVex said:

Jesus Christ man, I hope I get to see another Titanic esque run in terms of % in my lifetime or something even close

I also would love it, and i think all the members of this forum, but i think this is almost impossible, Titanic run i think is one in a lifetime....

• Like 2