Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Pretty big drop for TS4 on the level of I2 which isn't great considering Incredibles 2 had actual competition.

Anabelle is just embarrassing. 

Saw this exact comment on /r/boxoffice. I see you!

Yeah, not a great hold for TS4. Makes me wonder what WOM is. I've had some friends say "it's actually great" but the buzz just isn't there like it was for TS3/Dory/I2. 

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Pretty big drop for TS4 on the level of I2 which isn't great considering Incredibles 2 had actual competition.

We get it, you're literally repeating same thing over and over again. It's getting very tiresome. 

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-toy-story-4-yesterday-annabelle-1203255846/

Variety says lower for TS4 but higher for Endgame.

Toy Story 4” is heading for a decisive repeat victory at the North American box office with about $53 million in its second weekend, early estimates showed Friday

Avengers: Endgame,” now in its 10th weekend, is battling the sixth weekend of “Aladdin” for fourth place at around $8 million each. That should lift “Avengers: Endgame” to about $843 million by the end of this weekend.

8 million seems pretty good for EG, no? That would be about 4x last weekend.

The real interesting numbers on the Endgame expansion will be OS.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-toy-story-4-yesterday-annabelle-1203255846/

Avengers: Endgame,” now in its 10th weekend, is battling the sixth weekend of “Aladdin” for fourth place at around $8 million each. That should lift “Avengers: Endgame” to about $843 million by the end of this weekend.

If AEG can actually hit $8m this weekend and manage 50% drops going forward, it might be able to surpass that Film-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Frozen said:

https://deadline.com/2019/06/toy-story-4-yesterday-annabelle-comes-home-weekend-box-office-1202639398/

2nd Update, Friday Midday: Disney’s Toy Story 4 is heading to a second weekend of $56M at this point in time, -53% off a second Friday of $17M. Running total by Sunday is $235M.

Annabelle Comes Home from New Line is seeing a $16.4M opening weekend and 5-day of $27.2M with a Friday of $5.7m.

Universal/Working Title’s Yesterdayis eyeing $5.1M today and a 3-day in the $14.5M-$15Mvicinity.

Disney’s re-release of Avengers: Endgame in 2,025 theaters with extra fooage is seeing a 10th weekend of$6.3M, +218% for a running total by Sunday of $842.1M.

7 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

Toy Story 4” is heading for a decisive repeat victory at the North American box office with about $53 million in its second weekend, early estimates showed Friday

captain+america+son+of+a+bitch.gif

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

If AEG can actually hit $8m this weekend and manage 50% drops going forward, it might be able to surpass that Film-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named. 

Last time it had an 8 million weekend, it made 20 million more between then and now, so if the holds can be similar and OS is decent, then yeah. It'll be super freaking close.

I'm skeptical of early tracking though. Wouldn't be surprised if it was really more like 6.5-7.

19 minutes ago, John Marston said:

You are beating the dead horse with the broken record.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Last time it had an 8 million weekend, it made 20 million more between then and now, so if the holds can be similar and OS is decent, then yeah. It'll be super freaking close.

I'm skeptical of early tracking though. Wouldn't be surprised if it was really more like 6.5-7.

Even with 7 that would be a 3.5k PTA, better than most films in the top 10 so it should keep it's screens and summer days will be in play like they were a few weeks ago unless it drops like a rock.   It was about $35-36m behind going into this weekend - might just need $10m O/S.

19 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

wow in addition to posting the exact same sentiment here over and over again. he's doing it on other sites as well? jeez. he's probably talking about it everywhere.

"it's undeniable at this point that toy story 4 is a disappointment. it's dropping 50% with no competition. you guys are just deluded disney fanboys"

"Sir, this is a McDonald's"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 12
  • Astonished 1

28 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

Wanted 10, but 8 would still be good. But it’s really going to all depend on how much it adds os, obviously dom cant carry it there alone. 

I’ll take Deadline over Variety this time 😅

But seriously, if TS4 Friday are $ 17M than it’s really doing $ 56-57M which is good, just expected. Maybe Variety is just being more cautious after last weekend haha.

Waiting for Charlie update in a few hours, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Yeah, not a great hold for TS4. Makes me wonder what WOM is. I've had some friends say "it's actually great" but the buzz just isn't there like it was for TS3/Dory/I2. 

I originally had no plans to see this movie, feeling as I did that the series ended perfectly with TS3. Then I saw the reviews and decided to give it a chance. And I'm so glad that I did because its freaking amazing. Next level animation, hilarious (sometimes in a weirdly dark way), and builds to such an emotional crescendo that I was teary-eyed at the end. 4.5 Woodys out of 5 for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

53 would be bad for TS4, but I was expecting it. Animated multis died this year as soon as the 9 hit the calendar for whatever reason. Really sad to see the last reliable strong hold of multis in the industry finally collapse. 

I wonder the rise of Netflix as well as the fact of so many family films close by nowadays is hurting more than helping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mekanos said:

The guy making that comment isn't Marston. The guy who replied to him (Biosyn or whatever) is Marston. Have seen him write comments that he makes here on reddit or vice versa several times.

@CoolioD1 Actually he just copy-pasted what some other guy on reddit said.

Edited by lorddemaxus

44 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

53 would be bad for TS4, but I was expecting it. Animated multis died this year as soon as the 9 hit the calendar for whatever reason. Really sad to see the last reliable strong hold of multis in the industry finally collapse. 

I'm wondering if the focus on "Forky" made the movie seem more "kiddie" to its desired audience, so even with stellar WOM, potential adults, teens, and older kids who are not in the Pixar/Disney fan base are just giving it the pass.

It weirdly reminds me of Teen Titans Go last year - a great animated movie, but it couldn't break out of its tv show audience b/c everyone else was either "I can just watch the tv show" or "I don't watch the tv show, why would I watch this even if it is awesome"...

I mean, my kids, save my youngest, had no interest in Toys 4, and that hasn't happened that much for an animated (okay, Ugly Dolls also met with zero interest this year, but you get the point:)...

• Like 1