The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It seemed pretty clear to me that Panda was talking about actual shady accounting, not (completely legit) double feature help.

Yes but he is literally accusing that Disney will do that when TLK releases. Look as you already 1 guy saw EG more than 110 times in theatre also many hardcore fans will see it and being near to FFH also helps so fans will ensure that it will get the record. 

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It seemed pretty clear to me that Panda was talking about actual shady accounting, not (completely legit) double feature help.

I think people understood that. 

But their arguments is there is no proof of shady accounting. The example Panda then supplied of Aladdin's hold last weekend in the face of a 120 million opener was a clear case of double features, and not shady accounting, hence why everyone jumped on it. 

There isn't really any solid proof of Disney actually taking money *earned* by a different film and giving it to another film. 

As many said, that's a serious accusation and one that requires solid proof, not just hunches. 

If anything, the most famous example of "shady" accounting came from Paramount and Transformers, when they suddenly discovered extra millions from Puerto Rico. Even still, at least they gave a plausible explanation for that one, regardless if people chose to believe it. 

If Panda could give solid proof as to those accusations, I don't think people would be jumping on him/her the way they have.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, in Singapore:

65039691_2370715696520229_63955219580704 

Last chance to experience AVENGERS: ENDGAME with bonus, never before seen footage and exclusive giveaways followed by SPIDER-MAN™: FAR FROM HOME in this double-bill marathon on Monday 1 July! 

You’ll receive a marathon-exclusive Spider-Man: Far from Home t-shirt, poster and Avengers: Endgame poster with every ticket purchased

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yeah, that's why my hope is for Yesterday to have great legs.  Although TGS did open during the holiday season, and while Yesterday's WOM seems good it's not quite Greatest Showman-level.

What hurts Yesterday's chances of a strong word of mouth run is that the big blockbuster coming out in an couple of weeks is also very musical based. It doesn't offer a counter programming angle in that regard. Plus, Aladdins success has been partly driven by the same. 

Throw in Rocketman, and it's been a very musical based summer. I hope there's room for this to succeed, but it has its work cut out for it. 

42 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

What do reviews have to do with a movie like this doing well?  The Greatest Showman and Mamma Mia! are two great comparisons - movies with mediocre reviews that are music-based that still did well.  As for starpower, I don't think that matters much.  The main selling point of the movie was The Beatles from the start.  It's not out of the question for Yesterday to have great legs, I just think it should've had a much better opening.

Those movies had more going for them and weren't as reliant on their soundtracks like Yesterday is. The fact it's surpassing expectations goes to show how beloved The Beatles are. Given the strong WOM and light July schedule (only 6 wide releases) good staying power in the weeks ahead is in the cards.

• Like 2

In case people forgot the epic EC v MM89 fight last year, there are in fact ways to explain the 'inexplicable' jumps of AWiT:

Double features (though that is more an observation from myself and TalismanRing)

Theaters getting more favorable cuts of revenue than normal as in inducement to keep a film.

Theaters getting favorable deals on other future/current movies.

Do studios sometimes futz about with films at the edges?  It's a long standing charge applied to every last studio.  Does anyone inside the industry ACTUALLY care a great deal?  Maybe.  But not nearly enough to actually change everything.

That's why the spat over AWiT 'actually' crossing 100m or not last year is so silly.  Maybe Disney did help it more than it should have ethically. It's something that would be almost impossible to prove on the outside though.

But the people who actually care inside the industry (and here I'm including the broader entertainment complex, including broadcast/streamers) don't have nearly enough clout to do anything about it aside from quietly grouse in their martinis.

There are plenty of 'legitimate' ways for Disney to push EG over the hump without actually raiding TLK's OW.  Throwing that out there as a comment, joking or not, just smacks of sour grapes.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PKMLover said:

Meanwhile, in Singapore:

65039691_2370715696520229_63955219580704 

Last chance to experience AVENGERS: ENDGAME with bonus, never before seen footage and exclusive giveaways followed by SPIDER-MAN™: FAR FROM HOME in this double-bill marathon on Monday 1 July! 

You’ll receive a marathon-exclusive Spider-Man: Far from Home t-shirt, poster and Avengers: Endgame poster with every ticket purchased

Woww .. nice promotion idea  :D  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Nothing is over yet so it's likely going to be closer to 7M or over. but either way, the number is great, no way to spin it otherwise. There's still interest in the movie so they should (and will) keep it in the theaters as long as it takes. 

Any hope Aladdin ends up with higher gross than TS4? 

@tawasal it's definitely going to be when the weekend is over. 

This is the biggest takeaway of these initial weekend numbers. Interest and demand for this is palpable, and with Far From Home around the corner, it would be absolutely nuts to take Endgame out of theaters.

Captain Marvel made $8.3m in the weekend of Avengers: Endgame release (domestic), and still managed more $13m after that. With the Canada holiday this Monday, the 4th of July and the release of Far From Home, things are looking spectacularly on track for Avengers: Endgame to top Avatar, without the help of absolutely no fudging. And of course that Avengers: Endgame will yet get help from double features, both because Spidey and The Lion King.

Like I’ve said recently, demand is king. And it’s obvious at this point that Avengers: Endgame is still clearly on demand, and it will be even more so once Far From Home arrives.

2 hours ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Look at A Wrinkle in Time for exhibit A lol

I think that example actually works AGAINST your point, and supports everyone else's argument about the double billing yet again. 

Disney chose to expand A Wrinkle in Time on the same weekend that Incredible 2 opened so that it could play them in double billings. Playing it as a double bill with a movie that opened to 182 million that weekend, of course Wrinkle was going to make a good amount of money. (1.6 million)

The fact that it played double billings with I2 and only made around 0.9% of what I2 made that weekend strongly suggests Disney didn't have to fudge at all.... 

• Like 1

Went to an 8.30pm showing of Toy Story, it was busy and no kids (yay). 

The story felt very been there done that. Some funny moments. I find the supporting characters so much funnier. I’m over Woody being left behind/almost lost/ blah blah. 

Gabby Gabby was MVP lol 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'd imagine EG will do well enough this weekend, upcoming holiday week and following weekend. I'm not convinced after that though. Still think creative means or another re-release will be needed around Labor Day to get the WW record.

The one thing that might help is that it's confirmed that many OS markets that did not release this weekend will still be getting it, it will just be staggered throughout July. So even if Domestic stops making money after Sunday, July 7th (or Thursday July 11 which AMC says they are playing it until) it should still bring in some grosses overseas right until the end of the month. 

Of course FFH's release is also a wildcard. 

We need not look further than Captain Marvel to see there is a potential for it to give EG an assist.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'd imagine EG will do well enough this weekend, upcoming holiday week and following weekend. I'm not convinced after that though. Still think creative means or another re-release will be needed around Labor Day to get the WW record.

It might make additional $20m from the domestic market alone, between this FSS numbers and next Sunday. It’s currently at $34.1m behind Avatar, and we aren’t even talking about the overseas numbers that aren’t updated since last Sunday. With clear demand for the film still going strong, all it truly needed was a little push. I do think it might take until the Labor Day Weekend to get there, but I don’t see a possible outcome that the record doesn’t go down anymore.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

This is the biggest takeaway of these initial weekend numbers. Interest and demand for this is palpable, and with Far From Home around the corner, it would be absolutely nuts to take Endgame out of theaters.

Captain Marvel made $8.3m in the weekend of Avengers: Endgame release (domestic), and still managed more $13m after that. With the Canada holiday this Monday, the 4th of July and the release of Far From Home, things are looking spectacularly on track for Avengers: Endgame to top Avatar, without the help of absolutely no fudging. And of course that Avengers: Endgame will yet get help from double features, both because Spidey and The Lion King.

Like I’ve said recently, demand is king. And it’s obvious at this point that Avengers: Endgame is still clearly on demand, and it will be even more so once Far From Home arrives.

:bravo:  quoted for truth!

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1