Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

3 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Yeah, I expected UK to be on par with US, wtf happened?

Guardian website use a conversion rate in their box office breakdowns from US to UK and it’s roughly 10% accounting for population. So that would translate to £1.7m opening. Seems to be what it’s done. 

Just now, RealLyre said:

waiting for that 7M+ Endgame weekend estimate 

By who? It's doing $6 million tops and even that's $1 million more than my pretty optimistic $5 million prediction, but watch some people cry that it's "disappointing" simply because they didn't adjust their expectations accordingly.

From this point on $9 million more (maybe 10 because next week is a big holiday) is another reasonable prediction for North America. So however much more it needs to get that WW record, well that will have to come from other markets. Domestic can only do so much lifting.

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

waiting for that 7M+ Endgame weekend estimate 

After a 1.8 Fri and an estimated 2.3 Sat ... you can expect 5.5-6M max for the weekend. 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Did audiences really despise the first Secret Life of Pets?? 

This thing is at $600m less than the first film. Is this the biggest sequel drop ever in terms of $

Funny thing is, I thought SLOP2 and Toy Story 4 were exactly equal in terms of quality 😂. Quite repetitive and only mildly funny. 

You don't really wanna open that door, do you? Storm might be coming ... :jedi:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Guardian website use a conversion rate in their box office breakdowns from US to UK and it’s roughly 10% accounting for population. So that would translate to £1.7m opening. Seems to be what it’s done. 

I've seen The Guardian use that rule but I've never understood the comparison,  the UK + Ireland vs US + Canada populations are more like 5 times apart in size. Maybe the difference in movie-going patterns or theater availability is factored in too, IDK.

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Did audiences really despise the first Secret Life of Pets?? 

This thing is at $600m less than the first film. Is this the biggest sequel drop ever in terms of $

Funny thing is, I thought SLOP2 and Toy Story 4 were exactly equal in terms of quality 😂. Quite repetitive and only mildly funny. 

I don't think they disposed it but most likely didn't think they'd miss anything. Like HTTYD. First one was a WOM hit and then the second one lost domestic audience despite the first being so beloved. I guess some movies work as one-offs and parts of their audience doesn't feel compelled to see what happens next. 

600M less is still better than TLJ's 700M less. :ph34r:

Edited by Valonqar

18 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Look at my baby!!!😍

Looks like @cdsacken was right on the money once again!

Yes indeed! Over 164 end of next weekend.167+ finish, 168-169 definitely possible. Absolutely fantastic result for an awesome movie. I did flinch a few times.....not gonna lie.

Not saying 170.....but you know that would be a wonderful nice figure.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I've seen The Guardian use that rule but I've never understood the comparison,  the UK + Ireland vs US + Canada populations are more like 5 times apart in size. Maybe the difference in movie-going patterns or theater availability is factored in too, IDK.

Yeh I think it’s just general, based on history, they don’t have to consider changing exchange rates etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't think they disposed it but most likely didn't think they'd miss anything. Like HTTYD. First one was a WOM hit and then the second one lost domestic audience despite the first being so beloved. I guess some movies work as one-offs and parts of their audience doesn't feel compelled to see what happens next. 

600M less is still better than TLJ's 700M less. :ph34r:

HTTYD also had to deal with the drop in 3D conversion, similar to TS3 and TS4 comparison, HTTYD was huge in 3D making it seem bigger than it actually was so film #2 actually held quite well, the drop to 3rd was disappointing though. 

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Love all the Keanu love. Everyone wants him. Marvel, Pixar, The Rock, everyone. Couldn't happen to a nicer actor.

Eternals is a great fit. Weird complex film. Hope he gets there or something Unique. Totally agree, love the guy.

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Love all the Keanu love. Everyone wants him. Marvel, Pixar, The Rock, everyone. Couldn't happen to a nicer actor.

where were these people when Replicas opened in January? 😂

It made $4m total, had one of the worst openings of all time and one of the biggest second weekend drops of all time.