Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

No. Actuals always go up OS and dom too if Canadian holiday is on Monday (which it is). Sunday holds are always better than projected. 

NC Soft is praying for it. Next 11 days will mean a ton in regards to the record.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

39 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Terrible opening in the UK. I honestly thought UK would carry the film. Seems like DOM will be doing that instead.

Unbelievable weather in the UK this weekend. I would say has halved what it would have done. It’ll pick up 

7 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

Incoming doom and gloom because too many people didn't adjust their expectations accordingly, now I'm genuinely scared to visit that international Endgame thread.

We know that OS the re release is staggered and in some cases fairly limited. That won't stop the usual suspects than only visit the international forums to do grandstanding to make that thread a dumpster fire 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Sometimes, being despised by significant portion of the population (Twilight, fifty shades) is still better than total indifference, that's what SLOP is facing.

Part of this has to do with the fact that audiences are now completely incapable of embracing new franchise and materials, if you aren't a franchise from the 80s or 90s, or 70s, or from source material directly from the 50s, audiences won't care. SLOP hasn't succeeded in building a new IP for illumination, but then again what has in the past few years? or the entire decade, for that matter. 

I don't care much about SLOP personally, but I really thought Illumination had a hit franchise on their hands.

True, although there are some examples of franchises in the past decade though. Animated wise there's probably only Frozen and Despicable Me/Minions (because Dory and Incredibles were way older films) as well as Fast and Furious (their real power was in the past ten years). And there's a revived franchise in Jurassic..so yea very rare cases but there are a few.

Illumination must have thought - as many did - that Pets would be a franchise. I do think that Sing will not crash like this, as its YouTube viewers remain very high but it has no merchandising or whatever, so it looks like they will reply on Minions 2 and then recalibrate by doing Mario and some originals.

Pixar may also face this, and Universal and WB will do too as soon as 2020. At least WB has DC, Universal will need to get creative

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Pirates3 ww is 964M ... "only" 90M away from where Aladdin stands today ... will it be reachable for the Memorial Day opener ww record? Some 30M dom + some other 30M from Japan ... it might only need other 30M from the rest of the world ... I wish so hard the 1.001B for Aladdin ... 

Just now, cdsacken said:

Adjusted upwards of 1m is a lock.

They predicted like 5.2m for this weekend in DOM

Of course it will adjust up internationally, that always happens, but some people were seeing upwards of 2.77 after this weekend, and the actual number will probably be 2.762, which is not THAT big a difference, but at this stage in the game it kind of is. The constant "look how many tickets were sold in my region at this showing" didn't help either because it created this false imagine that there was a lot more demand for it when it was clear this was only for the most hardcore fans out there. The deleted scene was a neat idea on papar, but it didn't fit at any point in the movie, so I get why they cut it, but also it was like 1 minute, so it will leave more than a couple disappointed. And the Spider-Man clip was just that, a very short, if pretty exciting clip from a movie that comes out in 2 days.

I've said 5 million tops domestically since they announced this thing, and it did better, so I'm happy with this number, but you know full well that I was on the low-end of predictions on there. Whatever, unlike others I never expected this push to be what takes it over the line.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Sometimes, being despised by significant portion of the population (Twilight, fifty shades) is still better than total indifference, that's what SLOP is facing.

Part of this has to do with the fact that audiences are now completely incapable of embracing new franchise and materials, if you aren't a franchise from the 80s or 90s, or 70s, or from source material directly from the 50s, audiences won't care. SLOP hasn't succeeded in building a new IP for illumination, but then again what has in the past few years? or the entire decade, for that matter. 

I don't care much about SLOP personally, but I really thought Illumination had a hit franchise on their hands.

yep, this. Divisive means passionate detractors but also passionate fans who make up for the gap created by detractors. Indifference or just liked but without much passion is where problems start. I think that's something ST faced too. TFA was generally liked but not passionately so. Core fans spent a lot of time on various theories and shipping but that doesn't automatically mean passion for the product itself, just certain aspects of it. and that rubbed off on subsequent movies both the sequel and spin offs.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WayneBorg said:

True, although there are some examples of franchises in the past decade though. Animated wise there's probably only Frozen and Despicable Me/Minions (because Dory and Incredibles were way older films) as well as Fast and Furious (their real power was in the past ten years). And there's a revived franchise in Jurassic..so yea very rare cases but there are a few.

yeah, DM definitely counts, though I would suggest that since it was more toward the earlier part of the decade, the situation actually wasn't as bad (that was a time original films like Avatar and Inception can hit), same goes to HTTYD (also originated in 2010, didn't become as big as I thought though). Notice how Pets cannot replicate that same success now we're well into the second half of the decade. Frozen will be a successful example, thankfully, all animated films though, curiously.

Jurassic is exactly what I meant by a 90s franchise and material, Dory/Incredibles/F&F are early 2000s material.

Edited by NCsoft

43 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

This is horrific debuts......

first one did 4.5 million ow in Brazil 

first one did 7.1 million ow in Germany 

Standard SLOP2 drop in almost anywhere that it opened. Let's see if China bucks the trend.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Did audiences really despise the first Secret Life of Pets?? 

This thing is at $600m less than the first film. Is this the biggest sequel drop ever in terms of $

Funny thing is, I thought SLOP2 and Toy Story 4 were exactly equal in terms of quality 😂. Quite repetitive and only mildly funny. 

Staggered opening

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

Day

Date

Gross in ¥ ('000)

Gross-to-date

Gross in $

% +/- YD / LW*

Gross-to-date

Day #

Thu

Jun. 27, 2019

¥23,000

¥23,000

¥3,343,000

¥3,343,000

Fri

Jun. 28, 2019

¥224,000

¥247,000

¥32,606,000

¥35,949,000

Sat

Jun. 29, 2019

¥241,000

¥488,000

¥35,080,000

7.59%

¥71,029,000

Sun

Jun. 30, 2019

¥182,000

¥670,000

¥26,492,000

-24.48%

¥97,521,000

Far from Home China weekend $97.521mn. 2nd highest ever for a solo Superhero after Venom.

5 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

Of course it will adjust up internationally, that always happens, but some people were seeing upwards of 2.77 after this weekend, and the actual number will probably be 2.762, which is not THAT big a difference, but at this stage in the game it kind of is. The constant "look how many tickets were sold in my region at this showing" didn't help either because it created this false imagine that there was a lot more demand for it when it was clear this was only for the most hardcore fans out there. The deleted scene was a neat idea on papar, but it didn't fit at any point in the movie, so I get why they cut it, but also it was like 1 minute, so it will leave more than a couple disappointed. And the Spider-Man clip was just that, a very short, if pretty exciting clip from a movie that comes out in 2 days.

I've said 5 million tops domestically since they announced this thing, and it did better, so I'm happy with this number, but you know full well that I was on the low-end of predictions on there. Whatever, unlike others I never expected this push to be what takes it over the line.

I was at 5-8 domestic with low 6s as of thursday night. Definitely thought WW would be higher but we'll see on final total and legs. No idea how long they keep the expanded count.

Edited by cdsacken