Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

Also, keep in mind according to a Deadline article this re-release has more to do with Marvel than with Disney.

The article specifically states that the re-release is not part of some Disney master plan to overtake Avatar. It was more Marvel looking to ride FFH's coattails a little as it was released in the DOM market.

6 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

How can they ensure anything though. It all comes down to demand. This release is a cash grab, not a full blown new theatrical run. This means drops will be huge because most people that really want to see new scenes will have seen them. Not to mention some people will just go to YouTube. 

Of course it comes to demand. Endgame just tripled its last weekend domestic total with this push. It was never about beating Avatar this weekend, but doing enough to ensure it does.

After this weekend numbers, I can’t believe anyone can say that there isn’t a demand for this film, it’s still making bank and it’s about to enjoy a boost because of Spider-Man: Far From Home. Once it was announced and all the Marvel Studios stars started to openly promote the film to beat the record, it was over. Arguing about this is a fools errand, because those that don’t want this to happen will keep saying the same thing until the day it does.

Edited by ZattMurdock

2 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

What's stopping Cameron from wanting another re release of Avatar. Why so angry folks? 

Nothing! He should in 2021 or whatever year it comes out. Has anyone said not to? It makes sense. Avatar 2 needs it badly.

3 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Also, keep in mind according to a Deadline article this re-release has more to do with Marvel than with Disney.

The article specifically states that the re-release is not part of some Disney master plan to overtake Avatar. It was more Marvel looking to ride FFH's coattails a little as it was released in the DOM market.

Also helps FFH 

1 minute ago, Sagemode87 said:

And you're not biased? Why do I have to leave the thread because you don't like my opinion? Nothing wrong with disagreeing lol, no need to be toxic. No, that's just my typing style. 

I may be biased like everyone else, but at least I am here consistently and don’t pop up in Endgame threads only when it is not performing super well or getting desirable numbers. I don’t invade other threads to spew negativity about other movies. I’m not being toxic, I’m just annoyed by people popping up at convenient times to state the same opinion we’ve heard 1,000 times that tries to knock Endgame and its chances down a peg. The fact that I only recognize you because you pop up in every Endgame-related thread to say something negative tells me you are not here to actually talk about the movie and its run.

Something interesting that was just brought to my attention:

Endgame re-release first weekend:

Domestic: $5.54M International: $2.3M

Avatar: Special Edition opening weekend:

Domestic: $4M International: $1.4M

It will be interesting to track Avengers: Endgame keeping a close watch to this:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=avatarspecialedition.htm

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Disney is obviously ensuring it does. 

How? Endgame needs a 5x multiplier off this weekend re-release. A 5x multiplier off a weekend with a big social media marketing push and advertised as a limited time event.

The leggy Captain Marvel made $6M DOM in its remaining theater time once it hit the #'s Endgame made this weekend, and assuming a 1.65:1 OS/DOM ratio, a total of $15.9M. So even transplanting Captain Marvel's legs onto Thanos leaves Endgame $11M short. And let's be real, after seeing Endgame make $2M OS this weekend with the limited time event, it's not making another $7.9M OS, staggered re-release or not.

Your answer as to how Endgame beats Avatar, at this point, is essentially:

shia labeouf magic GIF

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Doctor Stark said:

I may be biased like everyone else, but at least I am here consistently and don’t pop up in Endgame threads only when it is not performing super well or getting desirable numbers. I don’t invade other threads to spew negativity about other movies. I’m not being toxic, I’m just annoyed by people popping up at convenient times to state the same opinion we’ve heard 1,000 times that tries to knock Endgame and its chances down a peg. The fact that I only recognize you because you pop up in every Endgame-related thread to say something negative tells me you are not here to actually talk about the movie and its run.

Well I'll be honest. I don't feel Endgame deserves to beat Avatar. I felt Avatar was art, Endgame while good is the usual super hero movie to me. I am talking about the movies run. The drops next week isn't going to be 50 percent like it's been. Will drop way more people fans that saw the scene will have seen it already. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

How? Endgame needs a 5x multiplier off this weekend re-release. A 5x multiplier off a weekend with a big social media marketing push and advertised as a limited time event.

The leggy Captain Marvel made $6M DOM in its remaining theater time once it hit the #'s Endgame made this weekend, and assuming a 1.65:1 OS/DOM ratio, a total of $15.9M. So even transplanting Captain Marvel's legs onto Thanos leaves Endgame $11M short. And let's be real, after seeing Endgame make $2M OS this weekend with the limited time event, it's not making another $7.9M OS, staggered re-release or not.

shia labeouf magic GIF

Dude... you are always veering to trolling around these parts. Anyone with basic knowledge of box office numbers will tell you it’s possible, go bother someone else. Don’t expect other reply from me ever.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

shia labeouf magic GIF

Disney are the new fudge masters ...Never underestimate them....

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It will be interesting to track Avengers: Endgame keeping a close watch to this:

The difference is Avatar was about a year later. This is like an event that's ending soon. I mean it's going to be out of theaters by the end of July. People are going back for a few scenes, once those are outted, it's going back on track its pre rerelease numbers. Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Dude... you are always veering to trolling around these parts. Anyone with basic knowledge of box office numbers will tell you it’s possible, go bother someone else. Don’t expect other reply from me ever.

Why can't we all have a discussion without saying another poster is trolling if they have a different opinion. Come on, you seem like a reasonable guy. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

Why can't we all have a discussion without saying another poster is trolling if they have a different opinion. Come on, you seem like a reasonable guy. 

You are cool and we can respectfully disagree, like with pretty much anyone here. 

10 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

The difference is Avatar was about a year later. This is like an event that's ending soon. I mean it's going to be out of theaters by the end of July. People are going back for a few scenes, once those are outted, it's going back on track its pre rerelease numbers. Just my thoughts. 

The difference is that Avatar didn’t had a quasi sequel in the shape of Far From Home to help it boost it, neither the Summer days to soften its drops. Endgame will easily end up making more than $10m from now until the end of July in the domestic market, a feat that Avatar wasn’t able to. The stagged re-release overseas will grant the reminiscent numbers it will need to overtake Avatar. I expect it to happen still during July, or ironically, around the time that Avatar had its re-release in August. 

Edited by ZattMurdock

18 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Not really. Endgame rerelease will be out of cinemas on the 11th according to AMC. Will likely be back to 700-800 cinemas after that. It should be in cinemas for around a week or two in most countries.

Edited by lorddemaxus

31 minutes ago, Doctor Stark said:

plus 3D tickets

Not sure the element here, EndGame was not a Nolan 2D movie, it is one of the biggest 3D grosser of all time, probably the biggest IMAX grosser of all time (https://www.imax.com/content/marvel-studios-avengers-endgame-nearly-doubles-imax-all-time-worldwide-opening-box-office) and I would imagine of most PLF format that exist. If made 540m in 3D tickets OW and 91m in IMAX.

• Like 3