Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

The funniest thing is even after admitting that they will not let anyone comment anything without reminding them about Avatar, the cameron's stans will then cry about their persecuted minority status and wonder why people are so mean to the them in a Box Office Forum 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 1
  • Haha 13

3 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

and then I'm sure I will reply that ER effect is way smaller than inflation + market expansion, and that whatever ER effect didn't stop top 10 movies worldwide from 2018 grossing 42% higher than 2009, and 76% higher than 2008. But you know, let's not repeat old talking points. 

We will know in 2 years time anyway. (Market expansion + inflation) vs (bad ER + severe decrease of 3D shares in total ticket sales)

This is so exhausting. Yes ER’s are worse now than 10 years ago. Yes the market has expanded quite a bit since then. Yes, more and more studios put more effort into promoting their films internationally (which is one of the largest differences when comparing top 10 now and previous decades). Let’s move on 

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

The funniest thing is even after admitting that they will not let anyone comment anything without reminding them about Avatar, the cameron's stans will then cry about their persecuted minority status and wonder why people are so mean to the them in a Box Office Forum 

Have we cried as much as you did about who and whom insulting taste of certain Latin American country, even though no one's actually intended or meant to do that? It must have escaped my notice.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Have we cried as much as you did about who and whom insulting taste of certain Latin American country, even though no one's actually intended or meant to do that? It must have escaped my notice.

Well, "If backwards trash" isn't an insult then I don't know what is an insult. The fact is that your gang have mocked Latin America many times as the international forum know. 

But as you said, mocking box office tastes is unforgivable, unless the Cameron Gang does it apparently.

Anyway, this is fruitless, let's stop it here.

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Well, "If backwards trash" isn't an insult then I don't know what is an insult. The fact is that your gang have mocked Latin America many times as the international forum know. 

But as you said, mocking box office tastes is unforgivable, unless the Cameron Gang does it apparently 

I think I need to explain that a little bit. Mocking taste is not inherently that bad if done in a light-hearted and joking way. Being Chinese I mock Chinese taste all the time, oh we saved Transformers 5! Oh there you go with all that Resident evil 6 gross etc.... In a way, it's almost fair exchange, because Chinese do mock American taste with Twilight quite often as well. 

My problem with the mocking of Chinese taste came from mostly Star Wars fans, who in an attempt to justify TFA's global performance and how it's more impressive than Avatar (why does that sound familiar), they were bashing Chinese taste collectively, viciously and non-stop. EmpireCity - one of the craziest individual this forum has even embraced, basically commented on how Chinese are becoming smarter and will in time abandon Avatar and embrace Star Wars, implying that we're unevolved apes. That was truly despicable. This kind of toxic taste bashing is best avoided, that I agree with you.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

This is so exhausting. Yes ER’s are worse now than 10 years ago. Yes the market has expanded quite a bit since then. Yes, more and more studios put more effort into promoting their films internationally (which is one of the largest differences when comparing top 10 now and previous decades). Let’s move on 

Exactly, with all the advantages movies have these days, it's still taking a herculean effort for this one film just get this close to Avatar.

Making this much money worldwide is still incredibly difficult and it should be celebrated as a huge accomplishment no matter what.  Nothing will be #1 forever.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Exactly, with all the advantages movies have these days, it's still taking a herculean effort for this one film just get this close to Avatar.

No denying that, I will say that Endgame is the most impressive global run of the 2010's, the second most impressive run of the 21st century.

And the fourth Impressive run worldwide in the last 30 years. 1. Titanic    2.Avatar   3.Jurassic Park   4. Endgame 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

No denying that, I will say that Endgame is the most impressive global run of the 2010's, the second most impressive run of the 21st century.

And the fourth Impressive run worldwide in the last 25 years. 1. Titanic    2.Avatar   3.Jurassic Park   4. Endgame 

This

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

And the fourth Impressive run worldwide in the last 30 years. 1. Titanic    2.Avatar   3.Jurassic Park   4. Endgame 

sounds like a croc!  (crocodile)

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Films not even watched by 300mn people, are more impressive than one close to 400mn. lol.

That's when movie watching is going down worldwide. lol.

lemme add;

Almost 400mn people watching 23rd film in a franchise and the other two whose character names people don't remember.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Films not even watched by 300mn people, are more impressive than one close to 400mn. lol.

That's when movie watching is going down worldwide. lol.

I'm kind of over defending Avatar now, Charlie I think it's best to avoid treating your admission estimation as a widely accepted official number.

Regardless, I'm sure you're aware that I'm more focused on a "proportional success" measure, only fair for comparing films of total different eras.

Jurassic Park won worldwide crown decisively, by like 30% over ET, won overseas crown and fell like 2-3M short of ET's domestic crown? That's what's pulling JP over Endgame for me, but I think one can make a good argument for EG > JP, there's some flexibility there.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 2

Just now, NCsoft said:

Jurassic Park won worldwide crown decisively, by like 30% over ET, won overseas crown and fell like 2-3M short of ET's domestic crown? That's what's pulling JP over Endgame for me, but I think one can make a good argument for EG > JP, there's some flexibility there.

these films did by margin is fault of films before them.

having 101 is bigger than 100 when previous best is 70.

3 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Jurassic Park more impressive than Endgame ??!!! 

Yes, worldwide crown by a 30% Margin, overseas all time crown, completely blown away by Titanic later, true. but would be the definitive box office run of the 90s if Titanic didn't exist. JP demands respect.

The industry is still feeling JP's influence btw, not sure people will say the same about Endgame 26 years later, my guess is not.

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1