baumer

Yesterday (2019)

Grade it  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Breezy and enjoyable in a way that only a Richard Curtis movie could be it seems. It's too bad that the movie ultimately doesn't do much with its "what if" premise considering we find out The Beatles aren't the only pop culture staple that has disappeared in this movie's alternate universe, although the reveal that John Lennon lived to be a content old man if The Beatles had never (wink) come together had me going James Franco "wait what?" Also wasn't nearly as much Beatles music as I thought there would be. But Danny Boyle directs with his usual visual panache while Himesh Patel makes for an engaging lead and Lily James gives yet another adorable performance. This is a drastically different Beatles love letter than Julie Taymor's Across the Universe from 2007 was but I thought it was on a similar level quality-wise. B-

Also, I'm usually completely indifferent towards Ed Sheeran, but can we just permanently ban him from acting? He was terrible in his Game of Thrones cameo and doesn't fare much better here in a larger role as a fictionalized version of himself. Stick to music, man.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Really good up until the last half hour. Once he goes to John Lennon's house it nosedives and it ruins the whole of the film.

I guess they just didn't know how to execute the funky premise of the film. Good as an elevator pitch, not good as a movie.

That being said I thought the first two thirds were really funny and classic kind of richard curtis romcom which is up my street. Ed Sheeran one of the best 'playing themselves' performances that I can recall.

Edited by Avatree