Eric Duncan

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME WEEK THREAD l 93.6M 3-Day, 185.1M 6-Day. l ****NO SPOILERS**** | Sale $5 off Gold/Premium/Silver l Other #s - TS4 34.3, YDay 10.7, Annabelle 9.7, Aladdin 7.6, Midsommar 6.6 (10.9 5-Day)

2 hours ago, Mekanos said:

It's been said a lot but if TS4 hits a billion it really puts it in perspective how insane this year is for Disney, literally all of their big guns going in a single year, Avengers, Star Wars, Lion King, Toy Story, Frozen, etc. not to mention Captain Marvel and Aladdin breaking out.

Dumbo will probably bankrupt them though, RIP.

So Disney is practically a monopoly that can't be good news for the industry :whosad:

2 hours ago, Mekanos said:

It's been said a lot but if TS4 hits a billion it really puts it in perspective how insane this year is for Disney, literally all of their big guns going in a single year, Avengers, Star Wars, Lion King, Toy Story, Frozen, etc. not to mention Captain Marvel and Aladdin breaking out.

Dumbo will probably bankrupt them though, RIP.

Seriously. The potential for 7 billion sellers from a single distributor in a single year is insane. This has to be a new record, right?

6 minutes ago, Terraforce said:

Seriously. The potential for 7 billion sellers from a single distributor in a single year is insane. This has to be a new record, right?

Record for a year too. 5 is the most billions in a year ever seen.

2 minutes ago, Terraforce said:

How is this even remotely good for the film industry that Disney is practically a monopoly ?

5 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

How is this even remotely good for the film industry that Disney is practically a monopoly ?

It makes the other studios look bad. They really need to up their game.

38 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

So Disney is practically a monopoly that can't be good news for the industry :whosad:

It's not really, but us proles aren't in a position to do much about it.

To the average person the ever-encroaching grasp Disney has on entertainment is a nonissue compared to paying bills, feeding mouths, keeping jobs, staying healthy, etc. If you polled voters on the important issues in this country, the expansion of Disney probably wouldn't even crack top 50. Life can be so grueling that people need any kind of comfortable, easy escape, which is what Disney excels in. You'd have about as much luck boycotting Disney products as you would boycotting Kleenex in favor of other tissues.

The genius of Disney is that they have taken such a strong control of pop culture that they can weaponize even the people who would normally criticize them; now because Ariel has been cast as black, the same people who criticize them for recycling their IPs over and over now have to defend Little Mermaid from racists who think this is white genocide.

The future is bleak but at least we can argue over whether or not a movie is underperforming!

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1

Aladdin officially becomes the highest grossing Memorial Day release of all time (unadjusted, of course), beating Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Fun fact: Aladdin's seventh weekend ($7,515,649) is the highest seventh weekend ever for a Memorial Day release (again, unadjusted). This particular record had so far been held (for 36 years!) by Return of the Jedi ($7,337,926).

• Like 6
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Nah, I'm actually miffed by those who want the same version of something they've seen before. I understand if one might not like the Iron Man connection but I certainly wouldn't want to see another "Spidey like Maguire", as I've always found him to be the most bland and boring version of the character. But if one prefers that version or wants to see Uncle Ben or red-haired MJ, the Raimi movies are there to watch and enjoy as much as one likes.

I like that this version of Spider-Man is different, that he doesn't look or feel like a version of the character I've already seen in live action. I'd say this is one if the reasons these first two movies have been successful. Holland also brings a level of charm and vulnerability that makes Peter more lovable and sympathetic than he's ever been, imo. 

In other words Feige and Co lifting so many elements from the Miles Morales comic book that made THAT particularly Spidey fresh and updated for the 21st century worked like a charm for you when applied to Peter Parker and the MCU. Because that is what essentially happened. The Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies were more true to the Peter Parker comics and were extremely popular without having to ride the coattails of Iron Man's international popularity and the domestic dominance of the MCU among the American public. But Holland 's version of this franchise probably needed all of that extra help (including great promotional pushes in CW and the last two Avengers flicks) because of fatigue setting in after moviegoers had gotten three versions of Peter Parker on screen within a span of about ten years. How else do you explain the slightly disappointing box office of Homecoming which was easily bested by the two following MCU films with less popular characters (Thor and Black Panther)? I'm sorry but Far Away From Home got the benefit of so much promotion by Infinity War and such an enviable sweet spot in the box office schedule by being the immediate follow-up to Endgame, that it's domestic take from this six day run doesn't wow me. I mean Black Panther made more than that in three days in freakin February without having the benefit of being a sequel. I'm gonna wait to see how Far From Home holds up domestically before assessing how big it's appeal is.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

22 minutes ago, AccidentalVisitor said:

In other words Feige and Co lifting so many elements from the Miles Morales comic book that made THAT particularly Spidey fresh and updated for the 21st century worked like a charm for you when applied to Peter Parker and the MCU. Because that is what essentially happened. The Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies were more true to the Peter Parker comics and were extremely popular without having to ride the coattails of Iron Man's international popularity and the domestic dominance of the MCU among the American public. But Holland 's version of this franchise probably needed all of that extra help (including great promotional pushes in CW and the last two Avengers flicks) because of fatigue setting in after moviegoers had gotten three versions of Peter Parker on screen within a span of about ten years. How else do you explain the slightly disappointing box office of Homecoming which was easily bested by the two following MCU films with less popular characters (Thor and Black Panther)? I'm sorry but Far Away From Home got the benefit of so much promotion by Infinity War and such an enviable sweet spot in the box office schedule by being the immediate follow-up to Endgame, that it's domestic take from this six day run doesn't wow me. I mean Black Panther made more than that in three days in freakin February without having the benefit of being a sequel. I'm gonna wait to see how Far From Home holds up domestically before assessing how big it's appeal is.

Yeah it's doing worse than total flop BP, what a disappointment

24 minutes ago, AccidentalVisitor said:

Accidental double post

Edited by Menor