The Wild Eric

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME WEEK THREAD l 93.6M 3-Day, 185.1M 6-Day. l ****NO SPOILERS**** | Sale $5 off Gold/Premium/Silver l Other #s - TS4 34.3, YDay 10.7, Annabelle 9.7, Aladdin 7.6, Midsommar 6.6 (10.9 5-Day)

1 minute ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

At least be fair about critical reception where FFH has a 69 on MC and Midsommar has a 71.

Pretty clear Midsommar is a bit critically divisive (as in its not for everyone’s taste, but the people who do like it have given it higher scores), whereas critics agree that FFH is around the good-decent range.

Yeah, neither MC is impressive but FFH never went for it. I expected high MC for Midsommer given the initial gushing, but that may be just a small number of devotees that were more loud than others. Hereditary got 87 so this is a bit of a sophomore slump.  Us got 81. 

21 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

After yesterday, I am not comfortable reading the early numbers. On the one hand its less than half of yday while on other its not much less than Homecoming OD. lol.

That is better. Give us an update after you wake up.

discount tuesday is not all negative. it brings in people who otherwise dont go to movies bcos of expensive tickets. Today's drop in theaters not having discount tickets would be  precipitous. Plus the biggest markets like NYC, LA, SF etc I did not see discounts. Even there morning shows have seen steep declines. PS for evening shows are good while premium format screens are close to full in big cities.

Not having pulse means we dont have holistic data. Projecting from few sample data is extremely difficult. Spidey did great in all big cities still OD was  ~ 36m(minus previews).

For those who say its doing ok bcos of middle of the week, this week most offices people take multiple days off. SM2 in 2004 did 40.4m with lot cheaper tickets and no 3D/IMAX/PLF(HUMONGOUS difference). That was a wednesday as well. Transformers 2 in the height of popularity did 62m OD wednesday(16.8m previews). These were previous decade. TF2 had lot fewer imax(1/5th) and no PLF.

I definitely see it drop 30% minus previews today. its traveling day for July 4. Also SM2 did 180m 6-days off 40.4m OD and this wont hold as well as that. That released in an era on fewer screens and so demand burn was slower. this movie has had a saturated release and so demand burn is lot faster. I would say 170m 6-day at best with this OD.

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Thanks 1

Also, as we mentioned previously, between today and tomorrow, close to 49M people are expected to hit the roads.

What does Deadline mean by this? I get that they mean around 49 mil people will go on holidays but do they mean it as in "people are going out on holidays so it's likely they will watch FFH on Wednesday and Thursday"?

Edited by lorddemaxus

Film Distributor 3-Day Weekend Forecast Projected Domestic Total through Sunday, July 7 % Change from Last Wknd
Spider-Man: Far From Home Sony / Columbia $97,400,000 $200,000,000 NEW
Toy Story 4 Disney / Pixar $30,000,000 $293,300,000 -50%
Yesterday Universal $10,700,000 $35,100,000 -37%
Annabelle Comes Home Warner Bros. / New Line $10,600,000 $49,400,000 -48%
Aladdin (2019) Disney $6,200,000 $316,400,000 -39%
Midsommar A24 $4,900,000 $8,500,000 NEW
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, sfran43 said:
Film Distributor 3-Day Weekend Forecast Projected Domestic Total through Sunday, July 7 % Change from Last Wknd
Spider-Man: Far From Home Sony / Columbia $97,400,000 $200,000,000 NEW
Toy Story 4 Disney / Pixar $30,000,000 $293,300,000 -50%
Yesterday Universal $10,700,000 $35,100,000 -37%
Annabelle Comes Home Warner Bros. / New Line $10,600,000 $49,400,000 -48%
Aladdin (2019) Disney $6,200,000 $316,400,000 -39%
Midsommar A24 $4,900,000 $8,500,000 NEW

@Shawn was this projected after knowing OD BO?

Mentioned it in the Telegram, but to make a Movies to Food comparison:

The MCU, critically, is like cheese pizza, will always be an option when pizza is served, and rather unobjectionable.  But you’d be hard pressed to make the case that it’s the most inspired food.

Then a few MCU movies throw a topping on (Black Panther adds some pepperoni, Iron Man 3 adds some mushrooms)

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That is better. Give us an update after you wake up.

discount tuesday is not all negative. it brings in people who otherwise dont go to movies bcos of expensive tickets. Today's drop in theaters not having discount tickets would be  precipitous. Plus the biggest markets like NYC, LA, SF etc I did not see discounts. Even there morning shows have seen steep declines. PS for evening shows are good while premium format screens are close to full in big cities.

Not having pulse means we dont have holistic data. Projecting from few sample data is extremely difficult. Spidey did great in all big cities still OD was  ~ 36m(minus previews).

For those who say its doing ok bcos of middle of the week, this week most offices people take multiple days off. SM2 in 2004 did 40.4m with lot cheaper tickets and no 3D/IMAX/PLF(HUMONGOUS difference). That was a wednesday as well. Transformers 2 in the height of popularity did 62m OD wednesday(16.8m previews). These were previous decade. TF2 had lot fewer imax(1/5th) and no PLF.

I definitely see it drop 30% minus previews today. its traveling day for July 4. Also SM2 did 180m 6-days off 40.4m OD and this wont hold as well as that. That released in an era on fewer screens and so demand burn was slower. this movie has had a saturated release and so demand burn is lot faster. I would say 170m 6-day at best with this OD.

Neither of those you mentioned are good comps at all. SM2 had July 4 and 3 on weekends so it basically gained nothing from them (in fact it may have even been hurt by July 4 hitting its first Saturday). Transformers 2 opened on June 30th and thus gained nothing from the holiday either. 

3 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Mentioned it in the Telegram, but to make a Movies to Food comparison:

The MCU, critically, is like cheese pizza, will always be an option when pizza is served, and rather unobjectionable.  But you’d be hard pressed to make the case that it’s the most inspired food.

Then a few MCU movies throw a topping on (Black Panther adds some pepperoni, Iron Man 3 adds some mushrooms)

Iron Man 3? That hardly got great reviews.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Neither of those you mentioned are good comps at all. SM2 had July 4 and 3 on weekends so it basically gained nothing from them (in fact it may have even been hurt by July 4 hitting its first Saturday). Transformers 2 opened on June 30th and thus gained nothing from the holiday either. 

SM2 had inflated Monday after its OW. So its 6 day was benefited. Anyway this is a week where lots of folks take off and so weekdays are always juiced up. Look at holdover drops. Transformers 2 I put it just to show OD in middle of the week is not limiting. It did more than 45m OD 10 years back without 3D, PLF and 1/5 imax. SM2 OD was also a wednesday without a thursday holiday and was bigger 15 years back.

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

SM2 had inflated Monday after its OW. So its 6 day was benefited. Anyway this is a week where lots of folks take off and so weekdays are always juiced up. Look at holdover drops. Transformers 2 I put it just to show OD in middle of the week is not limiting. It did more than 45m OD 10 years back without 3D, PLF and 1/5 imax. SM2 OD was also a wednesday without a thursday holiday and was bigger 15 years back.

Maybe, you could be right. We'll see how it goes. I just wouldn't put too much stock in those comps (or any comps, since we don't have any great ones).