Eric Atreides

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME WEEK THREAD l 93.6M 3-Day, 185.1M 6-Day. l ****NO SPOILERS**** | Sale $5 off Gold/Premium/Silver l Other #s - TS4 34.3, YDay 10.7, Annabelle 9.7, Aladdin 7.6, Midsommar 6.6 (10.9 5-Day)

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

Not the fault of the big movies. There were big hits last summer like I2, Fallen kingdom that didn't stop the movies you mentioned. 

Those two movies released within the span of a month. 

But I think that Crawl, The Kitchen, and Blinded by the Light could become sleeper hits.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Those movies being big successes is the problem I was talking about.  Sure, we all knew they'd be successes, but there's seemingly no room for any sleeper/surprise hits or smaller movies to become a success.  Last summer we had three documentaries become surprise successes, Crazy Rich Asians, BlacKkKlansman, Hereditary, and Searching (among others).  What do we have this year?  The Intruder?

We have a few hopes

Stuber

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Good Boys

The Kitchen

Crawl

Blinded by the Light

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark?

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Those two movies released within the span of a month. 

But I think that Crawl, The Kitchen, and Blinded by the Light could become sleeper hits.

Crawl is being released next weekend with little fanfare and isn't being screened for critics (in other words, the studio knows it's a stinker). I wouldn't expect much.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Those movies being big successes is the problem I was talking about.  Sure, we all knew they'd be successes, but there's seemingly no room for any sleeper/surprise hits or smaller movies to become a success.  Last summer we had three documentaries become surprises successes, Crazy Rich Asians, BlacKkKlansman, Hereditary, and Searching (among others).  What do we have this year?  The Intruder?

The big successes aren't the problem.  Summer has been blockbuster season since JAWS

There's been room.  The movies just weren't out there or those that were weren't successful.  We've still had Rocketman & Yesterday doing well. Booksmart's $21m was a bit of disappointment but not far off Searching's $26m

Crazy Rich Asians, BlacKkKlansman, & Searching all came out in August where there's usually more room for smaller films to leg it out and find an audience.

We'd have more variety in mid and smaller films if studios weren't releasing horror movies every w/e. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

What could he take though?  He has 2 or 3 films already in production that were financed by Fox ergo Disney.  Maybe Avatar 4 or 5 if financing and rights deals haven't already been made and they probably have been.  So Avatar 6?    Coming out in the year 2050?

I don’t know the details but IronJimbo will explain everything :hahaha:

• Haha 1

• Founder / Operator
23 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

$98.15m w/e if it has ASM's multi

21 minutes ago, Waffles said:

Excellent increase, depending on how Saturday plays out, $190 million six-day may be possible

That would be fantastic. Part of me now wants to err on the side of caution and look at Despicable Me 2 and Lone Ranger's multipliers since they had the Fourth land on Thursday as well (whereas it landed on Wednesday for TASM). But FFH's word of mouth could be strong enough to help it over that 2.75x-ish hump from Friday. Great results all round, though!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Alli said:

Such a boring summer, only Disney winning. Bring on next summer! diversify things

Maybe 2 of the top 3 films next summer will be original films with Tenet & Soul? With Wonder Woman 84 being the third one.

• Like 1

Just now, TMP said:

I did say maybe. More likely Black Widow and Soul will be the #1 & 2 of that summer, both Disney :D

hell no. WW1984 will be #1 of the summer. SOUL is supposed to be successful too? i don't care about animation.

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

FFH heading to 182 +-1 is what it looks like. 

Great increases for TS4 and Aladdin. TS4 is now 15M up on TS3. Looking good to leg out to 400M+

Yesterday is going to be right around 36M after this weekend. Probably over 45M by next weekend. 

AE looks like it should be in the 2.8-3.0 range for the weekend. 

Stuber and Crawl will take theaters from movies below the Top 7, but I doubt they have any impact on the Top 7. I don't expect either to do well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

I did say maybe. More likely Black Widow and Soul will be the #1 & 2 of that summer, both Disney :D

IMO BW is going to do less than 300M, maybe 250. I don't think it is even going to be in the Top 3.

it will do less than WW84 by a significant margin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, ThanosTheHedgehog said:

I think the worry here is how big the marketing costs are for this film. Apparently Annabelle creation had spent 100m dollars in Marketing despite only having production budget of 15m 

That's because TCU is a blockbuster franchise. Mid Horror movies from BH usually spend 40m-50m in marketing. While the ones for smaller studios like A24 rarely are above 10-20m.

Just throwing this out there...
I wonder if the earthquake and aftershocks in California yesterday, one of the biggest states in the US, prevented people from going out to the movies b/c they didn't want to be in a movie theatres if a large aftershock hit... perhaps attendance will be up quite a bit in California today?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Well yeah, an Aladdin remake we didn't need, a Toy Story sequel we didn't need, another Spider-Man movie we didn't need, an upcoming Lion King remake we don't need but people will force themselves to like, etc. 

I like how your explanation for it being a bad summer BO is literally the main reasons that it’s not actually a bad summer BO :hahaha:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1