charlie Jatinder

Monday (7/01) Numbers

7 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Anyone surprised how good Aladdin is holding? I got to give props to it, anyone think it can get to $350M DOM?

I'd say it's likely. Probably get a nice bump and continue to hold well when packaged in double features with TLK.

• Like 2

Monday to Monday drop for Aladdin is crazy. Toy Story 4 is good too, still neck-a-neck with Toy Story 3.

And no, that Endgame drop is perfectly normal after its actually surprising Sunday. We knew Monday would be higher than usual because initially this was a Friday-Monday event to lead into Spider-Man, so some people here acting like that's surprising is silly. What I really want to know is how many theaters Endgame loses today, I'm guessing no more than 400 after that weekend.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

Monday to Monday drop for Aladdin is crazy. Toy Story 4 is good too, still neck-a-neck with Toy Story 3.

And no, that Endgame drop is perfectly normal after its actually surprising Sunday. We knew Monday would be higher than usual because initially this was a Friday-Monday event to lead into Spider-Man, so some people here acting like that's surprising is silly. What I really want to know is how many theaters Endgame loses today, I'm guessing no more than 400 after that weekend.

When will the annoucement about screen count come out? It is already Tuesday morning. Isnt it supposed to come out one day earlier?

Edited by PKMLover

8 minutes ago, PKMLover said:

When will the annoucement about screen count come out? It is already Tuesday morning. Isnt it supposed to come out one day earlier?

I looked for it a few hours ago and there was nothing. Maybe later today? No clue, but yes, usually it's a day early. I guess because it's Tuesday it's different or something.

Just now, AlexMA said:

I looked for it a few hours ago and there was nothing. Maybe later today? No clue, but yes, usually it's a day early. I guess because it's Tuesday it's different or something.

Will  Thursday holiday help movie to increase number from wed? Or flat

Usually before and after the holiday we get a boost, so Wednesday and Friday (day after almost always strongest) should be higher, Thursday lower because that's the 4th of July.

Edited by AlexMA
  • Like 1

Most distributors dont publish the new theater counts until Thursday most weeks, regardless of Wednesday openers. The Tuesday one and the Thursday holiday have the whole week weird. 

Last week was another example since Annabelle opened and the full theater count list didnt hit until Thursday. 

Today we may see some drop reports but maybe not, so dont hold your breath. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AlexMA said:

Usually before and after the holiday we get a boost, so Wednesday and Friday (day after almost always strongest) should be higher, Thursday lower because that's the 4th of July.

Hmm? I thought Thursday is a holiday so the number will be higher than Wed... :v

8 minutes ago, PKMLover said:

Will  Thursday holiday help movie to increase number from wed? Or flat

The last decade would say Thursday is lower overall, but last year the 4th increased and did so very well. Unlike Christmas, the 4th plays out weird as it moves around the calendar, so we just don't know until it happens. Bad weather in major cities can also be a positive effect so its all 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Isn't the EG number a pretty normal or expected drop from the Sunday number? Or, as mentioned, were people simply expecting a collapse so this is a surprise?

Either way, the staggered expansion OS will be a huge determining factor in EG getting where Disney and Co. want it to go.

first they didn't expect re-release to work as well as it did, not even close. I remember that some projections had the release at 15M altogether (til the end of its run) tops. It made almost 12M WW in 3 days. Now it held well on Monday and people are surprised even though it jumped on Saturday and held well on Sunday. so why would Monday be different? I bet it's gonna hold really well today so just head ups to non-believers. :lol: 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PKMLover said:

Hmm? I thought Thursday is a holiday so the number will be higher than Wed... :v

Just remember that like how Thanksgiving Day kills the box office (overall people are busy with family and friends), the 4th is the same with most people doing other things and the evenings spent with parties and fireworks displays. Its a different holiday than the rest and the benefits are more easily seen in the days around it than on it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PKMLover said:

Historically July 3rd is a bigger day than July 4th.

On the 4th people are with their families, cooking, watching fireworks so movie watching is actually down. The day before and day after are usually stronger as alot of people will take those days off.

59 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

If it passes, I will join you in the celebrations but we have seen in the past what these premature celebrations lead to. And please spare me the outrage, thread after thread has gone to shit with these inconsequential comparisons and many have been closed due to it, Even you cannot be so naive to think that what you posted wouldn't invite the trolls (one who is already here). Understand that its not you or people like you who I have problems with, its rather those trolls that are attracted to those kinds of posts. 

Anyways lets get back to the numbers, no more posts from me on this topic. 

I gave some thought on just quitting the boards for a while like I usually do. But nah, what happened on this thread, your responses and others were completely disproportionate and uncalled for. You don’t combat behaviors that you don’t like by being hostile and gatekeeping long time users and newcomers because they say something that you think it’s dumb.

Gratuitous attacks always sour the mood of threads more so than all people that you call "trolls". I have some of Avatar’s biggest stans on ignore and not even them act like that. All the times that I exchanged arguments with them it was at least polite. I’m not an all year regular on these boards, but me and people that come here deserve the same respect that any of you do. Gatekeeping and being gratuitously hostile was the actual thing that derailed this thread. Respect, if you want to be respected. And if you can’t, learn to use the ignore button. And I say this as someone that has always enjoyed a lot of your posts throughout the years. 

With that said, this place is somewhere I like to hangout and there is box office history in the making here. I get the thinking of being cautious, but that should be something that it’s up to each user, and I’m here to enjoy and follow one of the biggest box office runs of all time. It’s crazy for me to see people claiming that I’ve entered into big arguments and franchise wars shit with Avatar fans when I think it’s pretty much safe that the biggest ones we have around here could attest that I never actively engage in big arguments with them. But whatever, I have work shit to do and then sleep.

Edited by Zatt Hawkguy Murdock
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Historically July 3rd is a bigger day than July 4th.

On the 4th people are with their families, cooking, watching fireworks so movie watching is actually down. The day before and day after are usually stronger as alot of people will take those days off.

So this Wednesday drop (from Tuesday) will be smaller? 

And this week, we have a movie opening on Tuesday, will it affect the boost movies often recieve on Tue?

49 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Anyone surprised how good Aladdin is holding? I got to give props to it, anyone think it can get to $350M DOM?

I am really surprised how well it is holding. I am not sure if it'll reach $350M, but it's the movie that finally broke Disney's Memorial Day curse. It's also the best performance for a Will Smith movie in a long time. Disney has so many blockbusters in theaters at the same time right now, and they aren't cannibalizing each other. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

first they didn't expect re-release to work as well as it did, not even close. I remember that some projections had the release at 15M altogether (til the end of its run) tops. It made almost 12M WW in 3 days. Now it held well on Monday and people are surprised even though it jumped on Saturday and held well on Sunday. so why would Monday be different? I bet it's gonna hold really well today so just head ups to non-believers. :lol: 

Agreed, my original point on Endgame being over what I expected was simply because I didn’t expect Monday to hold this well, even with Sunday numbers. I’d honestly be satisfied with anything over $600k. The reason for this was me thinking conservatively and looking at what I thought it was the closest parallel that I could find:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=avatarspecialedition.htm

Yes, the weekend numbers hinted at a softer drop, but I was kinda taken aback when I saw it.

1 minute ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

Agreed, my original point on Endgame being over what I expected was simply because I didn’t expect Monday to hold this well, even with Sunday numbers. I’d honestly be satisfied with anything over $600k. The reason for this was me thinking conservatively and looking at what I thought it was the closest parallel that I could find:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=avatarspecialedition.htm

Yes, the weekend numbers hinted at a softer drop, but I was kinda taken aback when I saw it.

we should be prepared for today drop due to inflated Monday and shoddy Thursday cause July 4 but that's something that affects all movies, so it isn't a sign of diminishing demand. just how post-holiday and July 4 work. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

I gave some thought on just quitting the boards for a while like I usually do. But nah, what happened on this thread, your responses and others were completely disproportionate and uncalled for. You don’t combat behaviors that you don’t like by being hostile and gatekeeping long time users and newcomers because they say something that you think it’s dumb.

Gratuitous attacks always sour the mood of threads more so than all people that you call "trolls". I have some of Avatar’s biggest stans on ignore and not even them act like that. All the times that I exchanged arguments with them it was at least polite. I’m not an all year regular on these boards, but me and people that come here deserve the same respect that any of you do. Gatekeeping and being gratuitously hostile was the actual thing that derailed this thread. Respect, if you want to be respected. And if you can’t, learn to use the ignore button. And I say this as someone that has always enjoyed a lot of your posts throughout the years. 

With that said, this place is somewhere I like to hangout and there is box office history in the making here. I get the thinking of being cautious, but that should be something that it’s up to each user, and I’m here to enjoy and follow one of the box office runs of all time. It’s crazy for me to see people claiming that I’ve entered into big arguments and franchise wars shit with Avatar fans when I think it’s pretty much safe that the biggest ones we have around here could attest that I never actively engage in big arguments with them. But whatever, I have work shit to do and then sleep.

Very well said Zatt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Seems like a normal drop for Endgame...  

I mean, I guess that fact in itself is good if you were concerned it would collapse or something, but some other movies listed held about as well or better.

Speaking of, killer 6th Monday for Aladdin. It’s down less than 7% week-on-week ( @Ledmonkey96). Canuck holiday, but still.

Charlie, don’t suppose you have an estimate for the CAN vs US component there vs last Monday?

55% drop after super strong Sunday hold? nah

Tuesday is flat though or a small drop.