The Hunger Games

100 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Hunger Games

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Star Wars was a terrible movie, they never explained how the lightsabors worked.

They never explained anything about that creature at the start of ESB either, nor the style of Leia's hair.There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike THG. But it's a Sci-Fi movie, you're meant to just accept the muttations and the style of the Capitol. If you can't accept that I don't know how you could sit through Star Wars withou asking a million questions.

They did say that the mutts are made of the bodys of the dead tributes, I think. Or some shit like that. FUUUUCK! I need to read the books AGAIN!Right now I am trying to find this part in book. Yes, the mutts are the dead tributes. But this part is VERY different from the movie. Quite different actually. The mutts are quick and strongs dogs in the movie. They are so much more in the books...

Edited by CJohn

This must be another one of those films where the book is so much better. I can't really say i enjoyed this all that much. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it per say.Keep in mind, I know nothing about the books or the story or anything. I truly went into this dumb deaf and blind to anything THG.Here are my problems with the film:1) What year is this? Why is the world like this? What happened to make it like this?2) Why does everyone dress in such vibrant colours and why is the facial hair on some of the main players so messed up?3) Harrelson tells Katniss and Peeta that water will be their friend. They were also told that many of them would die from starvation, infection and the elements. none of this came true. The games were supposed to be 3 and half weeks long and yet what we see amounts to about three days. 4) For a film about fighting to the finish, there was very little fighting after the initial drop point. Rue's death was ho hum cause i didn't know here and then there was the bee sting girl and the chick who got killed just as she was about to kill Katniss. I also wanted an explanation as to why the cool black guy didn't kill Katniss when he had to chance. 5) Like The Truman Show, the powers that be can control the elements. They created fire, fine. They also created CGI panthers that weren't real and yet they could kill. I have no idea how this would work in real life and it was not explained to me.6) I didn't really connect with any of the characters. I'm not sure why i should be rooting for Katniss and Peeta when the other participants would like to live as much as anyone else. I'm sure the book is much better but imo, they did a piss poor job of developing this for the screen. Very little action, not a lot of likable characters and a weak script imo. Battle Royale did it much better.6/10

1. It doesn't matter what year it is, it's set when it's set, which is obviously some way into the future.2. Not too sure why they dress in such vibrant colours, but it's clearly just the style of the Capital.3. I noticed that too, but maybe those are just the averages, so under most circumstances those are how most of them will die. This indicates that these are probably a much more vicious group of kids than normal.4. After the start of the games, it becomes attrition. There tends to be little fighting in attrition warfare.5. That's just something you have to accept. They can do that because they have the technology or they're they're sufficiently far enough into the future etc... It doesn't really matter. It's like asking why some kids are magical in Harry Potter, it misses the point.6. Well, that's your do, I can't make you like a character.I also haven't read the books.
  • Like 1

Some of it is translation from first POV. They can't have Katniss say "Oh, Buttercup I hate you so much because blah blah blah". They'd have to say "Oh look, that muttation looks like Rue and Foxface, etc etc." It's not perfect, but you can't expect everything from the book to be in the film. It's probably the most faithful adaptation I've seen (besides the two minor added scenes, of course)

I won't dispute how the muttations that the Capitol put in the games worked. However, sending them as the final fight for Katniss and Peeta was lame in the book and lamer in the movie.

My thoughts are a bit jumbled right now. Overall I mostly liked the movie- the performances are strong all around, save Rue and Cato- but there's a lot of problems. Obviously they had to work around the PG-13 rating (and just wait until they get to Mockingjay!) but that horrendous shaky cam wasn't anything more than a distraction. The District 11 riots would have been the best scene in the movie if I could see what the hell was going on. Nothing in the District 12 or Hunger Games scenes was very effective- the Katniss/Rue relationship was awkwardly cut down, so the emotional punch wasn't really there- and that camera only made matters worse.

Bottom line, it entertains and Lawrence is quite good (even though there's no character development). But a gutty, no-holds-barred Hunger Games would have been more effective as a film and an adaptation. I know why that couldn't happen, but the point stands.

B-

Also, how great was Woody Harrelson?

Edited by Gopher

So you guys are criticizing my feelings towards the movie? That's funny. And they do explain everything in Star Wars. Look, like I said, the film is not for me. I understand that. It's for the fans and I have no connection to the books. I'm just telling you I didn't feel any kind of a connection with the characters or the situations they were in. But who cares. Fans loved it and that's all that matters.

They do not explain everything in Star Wars, they explain very little. Lucas makes a point in the ANH commentary that he purposely avoided explaning things, "I hate it when they explain why the time machine works". It's a Sci-Fi movie, you're meant to flow with it.

So you guys are criticizing my feelings towards the movie? That's funny. And they do explain everything in Star Wars.

No, I'm criticising your points because they're silly. There are reasons not to like this movie, but those aren't very good reasons.

So you guys are criticizing my feelings towards the movie? That's funny. And they do explain everything in Star Wars. Look, like I said, the film is not for me. I understand that. It's for the fans and I have no connection to the books. I'm just telling you I didn't feel any kind of a connection with the characters or the situations they were in. But who cares. Fans loved it and that's all that matters.

B, buddy, I think you just found the next big thing after Potter you won't like very much :lol:

I'm happy to report I enjoyed the film a lot more the second time around. In fact, I loved it and the shaky cam hardly bothered me at all the second time around. Maybe I was just prepared for it this time. Strongest scene in the movie for me remains the final showdown with Cato. The intensity is incredible.9/10

• Like 1

Not an awful film, but yet another over-hyped and overrated film coming from young adult literature. Surprise, surprise.

Simply put, the Hunger Games themselves were boring. No intensity, no suspense, and no investment to any of the characters. Did anyone really feel that Katniss was in any danger? It's one of those films that briefly touches upon moments of greatness, but they are too far and in between oceans of mediocrity.

C+

• Like 3

Does anyone know if the score when they start the games is on the soundtrack? There is "The Countdown", but that's only 2mins, and the sample they play on iTunes is not the same music and it doesn't sound like there's enough time for that part to play.

But they do not explain everything in star warsWhat makes a light saber work?Why do some people were robes?What year does the Star Wars franchise take place all its says Long Long time ago?How does the Death Star blow up planets?
  • Like 1

B, buddy, I think you just found the next big thing after Potter you won't like very much :lol:

No, it's not that. I enjoyed the film in some ways. I just didn't take it all in the way the masses did.

But they do not explain everything in star warsWhat makes a light saber work?Why do some people were robes?What year does the Star Wars franchise take place all its says Long Long time ago?How does the Death Star blow up planets?

I'm declining to comment on any of this as I don't want another SW bashing thread. I'm glad you all enjoyed it and the film makers did a very good job of making the fans happy. That's all that matters. My opinion is irrelevant.
  • Like 1

my god, what a boring mess. A bag full of emptiness. capitol full of caricature characters. they don't inspire fear, just laughter. how can anyone take them seriously? no stakes, i didn't care about either of the players. no emotional investment, no backround story to get us to care about these kids. lenny kravitz should never act again. jennifer L was okay, but i expected better. Josh hutcherson was the best thing about this movie.

the combo of the capitol caricature with the supposed life threatening games simply didn't work. you know they are laughable, not life menacing. it takes you completely out of the movie. i treated them like a joke.

this movie was garbage,pure kitsch

please people, watch Battle Royale. It's an insult to that movie to be compared to this mess

You have a valid point with #6 because it suggests the film didn't make you want them to win.Either than that, you can use your "problems" for any movie in the universe.It's not about Star Wars. Why don't I use John Carter?

How does their blue laser power work? Why can only the Thorns change form? Why was JC the only person to have encountered a Thorns on Earth? How did he get out of the crypt? Why doesn't his nephew look like him?

Or 21 Jump Street...

Why do people believe Hill and Tatum are even remotely close to their age? Why didn't Tatum report the teacher sexually harassing him since he's supposedly underage? How can a PE teacher be smart enough to create drugs? How come his dick looks like a sausage?

Or Bridesmaids...

How did the bride become friends with each respective bridesmaid? What year is she getting married? How old are they? Do their breasts sag? What colour was the diarrhea?

• Like 2