BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Fourth Will Be With You, Always --- RECOUNT DONE, NEW TOP 100 POSTED

@4815162342 Difficult but perhaps one of these two options?

1) Keep Titanic but remove Avatar from the list. Everyone here will agree that Titanic deserves a spot on the list, even though its highly inflated. But many have already expressed surprise and disgust that Avatar is that high. 

2) Or just revert these Cameron (and the Horner) scores back to the same number they were in the 2017 list and bump the other movies accordingly. 

Regardless, I hope you find a way because  some of these movies do not deserve to be so high (or even on the list). 

• Like 2

I really don’t think that there’s anything you can do. You shouldn’t have to go through the trouble of having a new vote. You put a lot of work into this. It’s just a horrible situation, and very unfair to you and everyone that voted. However, I think the best course of action is just leave it as it is and don’t reference its results when you do a vote for this topic next time. 

I can’t believe anyone would be petty enough to do something like this. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Alas, doesn't look like he can do that with the 2 duplicate accounts

I guess you could just delete  2 (or is it 3 including his original list)  votes from the top 5 or 10 for each Cameron film.  Would the placement on those lists match his original Top 10 or did he switch it up?

Or everyone else who sent a list could re-send their lists?

It's an awful lot of work for you though on top of the work you've already done.

The simplest option would be to, since he had 2 duplicate accounts, basically deduct JCS' own list twice from tabulations (or thrice, if I want to eliminate him entirely due to the fraud). It is not a perfect fit, since he only submitted 10 films and the lists for Grand Moff and Hydrogen were much larger, but it would result in the big artificial beneficiaries being dinged (Titanic, Avatar, T2). It would also hurt some films that were not as notably targeted as collateral damage (like Apollo 13).

The only other real option as I see it would be to have the 21 abiding members (I got 24 lists, minus the 2 dupes, and I would not accept a JCS list either) re-send me their list as you said. I would re-tabulate, and just post the Top 100, no countdown. It would be a bit of a hassle and a good bit of work, and there's no guarantee that everyone would re-send exactly the same list as before, since they would know the original results and could theoretically game their list to change how things play out (I assume most would not, but there's no way for me to 100% verify that). Also there is no guarantee that all 21 members (including me) who are accepted would actually re-submit in whatever relatively short time period I set.

I'll need to think on it.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It also should be obvious going forward that I am banning James Cameron Scholar from participating in any future lists I do, since this is a one strike you're out kinda thing.

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

It also should be obvious going forward that I am banning James Cameron Scholar from participating in any future lists I do, since this is a one strike you're out kinda thing.

Redoing the list is too much of a hassle which you shouldn’t be going through just because of one stupid, petty man. Just deduct his list thrice or revert all Cameron/Horner movies back to their 2017 positions. Would be much easier. 

Also I hope other users here who make lists often take your lead and permaban that guy from any lists they make in the future

• Like 2

I can't believe there'd be a voting scandal for something like this, let alone the fact that JamesCameronScholar had duplicate accounts.

Disappointing.

Yeah, I would very simply leave the list the way it is as a historical record, and I'd make a list next year rather than the year after.

1 minute ago, SLAM! said:

Yeah, I would very simply leave the list the way it is as a historical record, and I'd make a list next year rather than the year after.

I'm not doing that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I can't believe there'd be a voting scandal for something like this, let alone the fact that JamesCameronScholar had duplicate accounts.

Disappointing.

@4815162342 told me that he likes to do a video game list next year, so he doesn't want to make a score list next year as well.

• Like 1

This is awful considering how much work, time, and energy Numbers put in to put this together, and how ridiculous and silly someone has to be to take this cool thing and then try to game it for.... who the hell knows what reason.... Hell, James Cameron isn't even a film composer... And even if he was, it's not like he would appreciate this effort on his behalf. It's not as if Jimbo is gonna turn to whatever composer he's screwing over in post on Avatar 2 and show him the results of this poll on his phone and say.... "Hey, music wimp, check it out... I won the best scores poll at that one box office forum.... maybe you can win it someday, hahah just kidding get out." 

But I'm almost happy it turned out someone cheated like crazy on this list because it was.... PRETTY bad otherwise, LOL...

It probably won't be THAT different if you just kill the three ballots the cheater sent in... seriously how bizarre is it someone cheated on this poll... but I would suggest just deleting all three of those entries and retabulating the votes that remain. I know I still have my list in my PM sent folder, and I posted it in the thread, too.... Pretty sure everyone else who sent a ballot in has a copy of it still in their inbox, it wasn't that long ago. I can't imagine someone would re-do their list to "game" the system further but then again I wouldn't have imagined someone would be so ridiculous as to cheat this poll.

making people post their lists in the forum so everyone can see it is probably a good safeguard against this happening again in the future, too...

• Like 1

It wouldn't just be this list. 

Top 100 movie characters would see Ripley, Rose, and Terminator models drop a few places each and the Avatar characters disappear completely. 

My Heart will Go On would also drop a place or two in the song list. 

As for this one, I would personally take JCS' list, multiply all the poitns earned by say 2.5 and deduct that from each film. 

(as there may be a few folks that articficially lower their own Cameron rating these days to counterbalance the overvotes from that gang of 3.)

27 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

It wouldn't just be this list. 

Top 100 movie characters would see Ripley, Rose, and Terminator models drop a few places each and the Avatar characters disappear completely. 

My Heart will Go On would also drop a place or two in the song list. 

As for this one, I would personally take JCS' list, multiply all the poitns earned by say 2.5 and deduct that from each film. 

(as there may be a few folks that articficially lower their own Cameron rating these days to counterbalance the overvotes from that gang of 3.)

Do you know if any of these alts voted in the animated film countdown?

6 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

The only other real option as I see it would be to have the 21 abiding members (I got 24 lists, minus the 2 dupes, and I would not accept a JCS list either) re-send me their list as you said. I would re-tabulate, and just post the Top 100, no countdown. It would be a bit of a hassle and a good bit of work, and there's no guarantee that everyone would re-send exactly the same list as before, since they would know the original results and could theoretically game their list to change how things play out (I assume most would not, but there's no way for me to 100% verify that). Also there is no guarantee that all 21 members (including me) who are accepted would actually re-submit in whatever relatively short time period I set.

I'm in favor of this, provided you could get all those members to re-send. And if you feel strongly about them not gaming their lists, idk maybe you could ask for screenshots of their original PMs from all those who haven't deleted them? 

Also if this were to happen I'd be happy to help you out with the tabulating.

I post my list in the voting thread, as well as sending it via private message. So everyone can see my vote, and also see that I didn’t edit the post recently. That safeguards the integrity of my vote at least. Although it is still very unfair to have to tabulate all the votes again.

Also want to add that at this point... if you're trust in the users here has diminished to the point you can't really expect them to be honest about something THIS low-stakes.... that you have to try and protect the poll from itself... it might be that the poll isn't really worth doing.

I've seen multiple people so far... myself included... trying to figure out ways to prevent really weird and disruptive people from ruining the good faith efforts of others, and on the one hand that's not a bad endeavor.... but on the other if we're dealing with all of 20 participants, and you're STILL unsure if you can trust about a fifth of them? And the rest you can trust are potentially goony enough that when open cheating showed up it was easily brushed off as the acts of some "gang" that has literally built their personalities.... multiple, in at least one case LOL.... around a film director's box-office totals?....

This is all low-key weird and off-putting. JimGangs and alt-accounts... what a way to make an already questionable use of time seem even more silly... smh

Anyway: Close Encounters is John Williams' best score, James Cameron has never really known how to treat or edit his composers, Interstellar is probably the best thing Hans Zimmer's done since Crimson Tide turned him into an industry, and I probably ranked Fellowship of the Ring too low in my list considering what a monumental achievement that entire trilogy was...

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier