BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Fourth Will Be With You, Always --- RECOUNT DONE, NEW TOP 100 POSTED

#53 The Third Man (1949)

Composed by Anton Karas

328 Points

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 1

Top 10 Tiebreaker over Godfather Part II

A very memorable zither cue propels this classic film noir to almost the top half. It takes the tiebreaker over Godfather Part II due to having multiple top 10 placements, whereas the other film had none. Karas was completely unknown at the time of production, he was stumbled upon by the director Carol Reed by pure chance while Karas was playing music, and Reed was hooked.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 8

#52 The Last of the Mohicans (1992)

Composed by Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman

335 Points

Michael Mann's frontier epic now shows up, in all 3 Top 100s having found a comfy niche in the 50s-range of the countdown. Mann had originally intended for an electronic film score, but late in production switched his mind to a more traditional orchestral work. Trevor Jones was the sole composer at the time, but the late shift in direction resulted in Randy Edelman being brought in to compose for some portions of the movie due to a lack of time on Jones' part.

• Like 6

#51 Edward Scissorhands

Composed by Danny Elfman

335 Points

Vote Tiebreaker over Last of the Mohicans

The next Danny Elfman/Tim Burton collaboration for our Top 100 sneaks by Mohicans due to more votes supporting it. Like many of their efforts, the music evokes a wondrous gothic fantasy with mixes of awe and foreboding. At times Elfman has considered Scissorhands to be his favorite work.

#50-46 will be posted later tonight

• Like 8
  • ...wtf 1

#50 Once Upon a Time in America (1984)

Composed by Ennio Morricone

337 Points

Ennio Morricone returns to the Top 100, this time as part of one of his many collaborations with Sergio Leone. Like most of said collaborations, much of the score was written before the movie had even finished filming. This time around it experienced a notable jump from the prior two listings. Morricone extensively utilized a pan flute in a number of tracks, using different variants to either display fond memories or haunting sequences.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 8

#49 The Dark Knight (2008)

Composed by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

343 Points

Those Nolanites are at it again, granting the middle entry of the NolBat trilogy its highest appearance yet. Zimmer and Newton Howard continued their joint efforts started with Batman Begins, with Zimmer handling the composing of the guitar cue for the Joker, and Newton Howard writing the cues for Harvey Dent, which are more brass focused. Zimmer briefly considered rewriting his theme for the Joker following Heath Ledger's death.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 7
  • ...wtf 1

#48 Back to the Future (1985)

Composed by Alan Silvestri

343 Points

#1 Placements: 1

Vote Tiebreaker over The Dark Knight

One of the more memorable main themes of the 80s now shows up, though at a notable slide (it had previously appeared at #15 in both the 2015 and 2017 countdowns). Zemeckis during production advised Silvestri to make the music for the film grand and epic, in order to meet with Spielberg's approval.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

On 7/10/2019 at 3:38 PM, 4815162342 said:

#64 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)

Composed by John Williams

302 Points

One of the most iconic film themes of the 21st Century now appears, though at a much lower position than its placement in 2015 or 2017. The Williams Embargo hit this franchise hard, as in conjunction with this drop, it is now the only Harry Potter film to appear on the Top 100 (Prisoner of Azkaban had appeared in the Top 100 in both 2015 and 2017). Williams' main theme for the film has appeared in all 8 Harry Potter films, as well as references in both Fantastic Beasts movies as well.

I always saw this as Williams self-ripping off his superior Home Alone score, when the score wasn't being annoyingly bombastic.

• Like 1

#47 WALL-E (2008)

Composed by Thomas Newman

357 Points

Pixar's most adorable robot now takes the stage. Newman started working on the score in 2005, three years before the film was released. While originally intended to be wholly orchestral, Newman felt that many of the scenes in space worked better with electronic music worked in.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

#46 Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)

Composed by Klaus Badelt and Hans Zimmer (and the gang)

378 Points

Top 10 Placements: 2

The music score for the first Pirates film can truly be considered a team effort. A total of nine composers were credited for either the score proper, or for "additional music" contributed to the film. Alan Silvestri was originally intended to compose, but producer Jerry Bruckheimer shifted direction to Team Zimmer. Composition of the score occurred over the course of just a few weeks, with the schedule so tight that track names were decided upon before the music had even been finished, resulting in music that doesn't match the tone of the track titles for most of the official released score.

I am going to be AFK Friday evening until Sunday night, so there won't be anything posted until then.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

#49 The Dark Knight (2008)

Composed by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

343 Points

Those Nolanites are at it again, granting the middle entry of the NolBat trilogy its highest appearance yet. Zimmer and Newton Howard continued their joint efforts started with Batman Begins, with Zimmer handling the composing of the guitar cue for the Joker, and Newton Howard writing the cues for Harvey Dent, which are more brass focused. Zimmer briefly considered rewriting his theme for the Joker following Heath Ledger's death.

Let it be known that I did not rank the Dark Knight (because I didn't vote 😬) and that The Dark Knight is my least favorite of the three Nolan Bat scores (probably). It would not have made my top 100 list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

17 hours ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Am I really the only person who put this at #1? 

(sees a Pirates of the Caribbean sequel and Blade Runner 2049 on the list) 

This list is going to give me a headache, isn't it. 

(sees Aliens, which is maybe Horner's most derivative score ever, with 75% of it coming from Battle Beyond the Stars/Star Trek II, and the other 25% coming from Goldsmith's score and Khachaturian's ballet) 

(takes aspirin) 

Interstellar is one of the most unique entries in Zimmer's filmography, I'd argue. 

It was how the Aliens score was used. James Cameron carefully used every piece he was given to perfection. 

That said, I don't get the PotC sequel. "He's a pirate" is the theme from PotC and it was done very well in the first, so why give credit to the sequel?

I know my #3 isn't making this list, I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only person to give it a mention at all. Good anime is given the short shrift in the West, seen as suitable mostly for children, which is a shame. Oh well, time to catch up on One Piece. Here's some delectable themes from it.

Spoiler

Seriously, watch One Piece, the most popular anime/manga in Japan and it's not even close, it's as if The Simpsons mania never went away, the show is 20 years old and only getting more popular, and I just discovered it and can't believe what I was missing out on. /rant

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 2

EDIT: double post

Gonna use this as an excuse to post the theme from my #3, The Wind Rises, the most emotionally affecting Miyazaki film. Did anyone else put it on their list?

Spoiler

has anyone else even seen it?

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

That said, I don't get the PotC sequel. "He's a pirate" is the theme from PotC and it was done very well in the first, so why give credit to the sequel?

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

#46 Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)

Composed by Klaus Badelt and Hans Zimmer (and the gang)

378 Points

well there it is jeff goldblum GIF

• Like 1

#45 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

Composed by Howard Shore

380 Points

Looks like other films got embargoed as well by some people adopting a personal franchise rule. The middle child of the LOTR trilogy drops 34 spots to the mid-40s. Two Towers was the only entry in the trilogy to not be nominated at the Oscars.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 8

#44 The Incredibles (2004)

Composed by Michael Giacchino

380 Points

Vote Tiebreaker over LOTR: Two Towers

Next up is the film that started the near symbiotic relationship between Pixar and Michael Giacchino. Brad Bird originally approached John Barry to compose the music, wanting to utilize a style similar to Barry's work in the 1960s, but Barry declined. Giacchino's music, especially in the main cue, retains some of that stylistic decision. The score relies heavy on brass instruments, and was recorded on analog tapes instead of digitally.

• Like 8

#43 The Natural (1984)

Composed by Randy Newman

394 Points

Randy Newman's possibly most famous work comes next, jumping 30 spots from 2017. Described by contemporaries as similar in style to the work of Aaron Copeland, the beating heart of the score is the iconic main cue, which has been aped, homaged, repeated, and parodied countless times over the past 35 years. Truly a little piece of music that has stood a test of time.

• Like 5

#42 Gone with the Wind (1939)

Composed by Max Steiner

402 Points

We return to our collection of elderly film scores, though perhaps its age is showing a little as it has fallen a bit out of favor compared to the prior two countdowns. Steiner composed well over 2 hours worth of music for the movie, broken into nearly 100 distinct pieces. It was the longest time he had ever spent composing up to that point in time.

• Like 7