BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Fourth Will Be With You, Always --- RECOUNT DONE, NEW TOP 100 POSTED

#3 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

Composed by Ennio Morricone

1018 Points

Top 5 Placements: 4

Top 10 Placements: 4

2015 Placement: #3 (No Change)

2017 Placement: #2 (-1)

Three Top 100s, three Top 3 finishes. The legendary film score to the legendary Western retains its hold on the mindset of the BOT list-submitter. The main theme is meant to resemble a coyote howling, and Morricone used different instruments to represent its use for each of the three titular characters. Morricone also blended in elements such as gunfire, whistling, and other naturalistic tactics to augment the music. The deliberate pace Leone takes with the film is supported and propped up by Morricone's music, adding tension and emotion to scenes that might otherwise have seemed drawn out and inteminable.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

There are only two films left, I will reveal them together since it will be obvious what is #1 when #2 is shown.

#2 Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)

Composed by John Williams

1051 Points

Top 5 Placements: 5

Top 10 Placements: 3

2015 Placement: #1 (-1)

2017 Placement: #1 (-1)

#1 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Composed by Howard Shore

1151 Points

#1 Placements: 3

Top 5 Placements: 3

Top 10 Placements: 4

2015 Placement: #2 (+1)

2017 Placement: #5 (+4)

It finally happened, something dethroned Star Wars. The John Williams sci-fi space opera sound melody gives way to Howard Shore's work for the first entry of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Williams only got to work on Star Wars Episode IV because Spielberg personally recommended to his friend George Lucas to hire Williams. Lucas' goal was to ground the fantastical space setting with emotional familiarity, and Williams provided that in spades. On Howard Shore's part, he wrote over 3 hours of finalized music for Fellowship of the Ring, with many of the cues and themes drafted for it carrying over into the other two films, most notably the Shire/Hobbit theme and the Fellowship theme. Shore's music creates a distinct atmosphere and environment for each location the Fellowship visits in its journeys.

Thank you to all who have participated. I will post the full Top 100 in a single post later today.

• Like 7
  • Astonished 6

Yaas, so happy that Lord of the Rings is back to where it belongs. It was my #1 pick as well. Great for ANH too, it was my #2 pick.

• Like 1

There were some shenanigans with Avatar right? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MrPink said:

If by shenanigans you mean that a coterie of posters had it very high on their submissions, I suppose so

Thrilled to see FotR in 1st! All 3 Lord of the Rings scores are absolute masterworks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrPink said:

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

If by shenanigans you mean that a coterie of posters had it very high on their submissions, I suppose so

What was #1 before you extended the deadline?

• Not Cool 1

6 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

For about 2/3 of all lists submitted, this was firmly in the #1 spot, until the final gamut knocked it down to the fifth spot. The film that overtook it is the film that ultimately is out #1 for 2019.

How is this possible if FOTR only got 3 #1 spots? So Titanic did get the most #1 spots or not? Also how did it get that low and have 2/3 of the top spots? I don't understand what this statement is actually saying... 

• Not Cool 1

Does anyone has the whole list compiled into one readable table?

Was pulling for a Morricone win :(

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

What was #1 before you extended the deadline?

4 hours ago, Hydrogen said:

How is this possible if FOTR only got 3 #1 spots? So Titanic did get the most #1 spots or not? Also how did it get that low and have 2/3 of the top spots? I don't understand what this statement is actually saying... 

I suppose I have some questions of these folks as well.

@The Panda @Panda @IronJimbo @Nerfy @SLAM! @DAR @Rorschach @cannastop @ZeeSoh @Walt Disney @Aristis @LawrenceBrolivier @Pure Spirit @flynn2000 @TalismanRing @Jake Gittes @Fancyarcher @chasmmi etc

It appears that at least 2 of the lists submitted to me were from fraudulent double accounts of the user JamesCameronScholar. If this had been caught in time by the mod/admin staff, I would simply reverse the points those lists contributed. However, the PMs these duplicate accounts had sent me I had long deleted, as the tabulations for the countdown were complete. JamesCameronScholar did post his own Top 10 in the original submission thread. Though the PMs from the two fake accounts no longer exist, both were heavily skewed to favor and reward certain film scores, namely James Cameron films, and to a lesser extent other James Horner scores.

I am going to take a little time to decide how to best handle this, but all options are on the table, from deducting all points awarded by JCS' submission at the minimum, to at the most punitive, to simply DQ all James Cameron films from the countdown. The makeup of the countdown, in particular the Top half of the countdown, would be radically different but for those 2 fake account submissions.

There will be further updates once I reach a decision. Feel free to offer suggestions as to how to handle this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 9

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I mean, if you're asking me, I think the only real way to fix this is to have another list next year, rather than two years from now.

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I mean, if you're asking me, I think the only real way to fix this is to have another list next year, rather than two years from now.

I'm willing to listen to all opinions, even from those who did not participate. I am not going to decide immediately, I want to think about this since this is the first time we've caught a BOT Countdown Fraud at this stage of the game.

Yeah those shenanigans are really not cool.

It’s one thing if somebody has a duplicate account that they’re shitposting with.  It’s another to try to vote pack a forum list that Numbers (and all the people that took the time to make lists) put a lot of time into making in regards to counting votes and doing the countdown.

We do these because we want to see what the authentic general forum opinion is.  Shenanigans like these aren’t cool.

• Like 7

My vote would be to deduct the points from JCS lists.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I suppose I have some questions of these folks as well.

@The Panda @Panda @IronJimbo @Nerfy @SLAM! @DAR @Rorschach @cannastop @ZeeSoh @Walt Disney @Aristis @LawrenceBrolivier @Pure Spirit @flynn2000 @TalismanRing @Jake Gittes @Fancyarcher @chasmmi etc

It appears that at least 2 of the lists submitted to me were from fraudulent double accounts of the user JamesCameronScholar. If this had been caught in time by the mod/admin staff, I would simply reverse the points those lists contributed. However, the PMs these duplicate accounts had sent me I had long deleted, as the tabulations for the countdown were complete. JamesCameronScholar did post his own Top 10 in the original submission thread. Though the PMs from the two fake accounts no longer exist, both were heavily skewed to favor and reward certain film scores, namely James Cameron films, and to a lesser extent other James Horner scores.

I am going to take a little time to decide how to best handle this, but all options are on the table, from deducting all points awarded by JCS' submission at the minimum, to at the most punitive, to simply DQ all James Cameron films from the countdown. The makeup of the countdown, in particular the Top half of the countdown, would be radically different but for those 2 fake account submissions.

There will be further updates once I reach a decision. Feel free to offer suggestions as to how to handle this.

Yeah, I’m not sure what the best course of action is there. 

One option (that doesn’t really have to do with the procedure of action for this specific list) is to have our list/Boffy creators agree to make a rule that fake account submissions result in a year long ban from submitting a list, on top of whatever administrative action the mods take.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

Just now, The Panda said:

Yeah, I’m not sure what the best course of action is there. 

One option is to have our list/Boffy creators agree to make a rule that fake account submissions result in a year long ban from submitting a list, on top of whatever administrative action the mods take.

Lifetime ban on submitting a list at least.

• Like 3

The real James Cameron would stan for this shit.

8 hours ago, MrPink said:

🤔

49 minutes ago, DAR said:

My vote would be to deduct the points from JCS lists.  

Alas, doesn't look like he can do that with the 2 duplicate accounts

However, the PMs these duplicate accounts had sent me I had long deleted, as the tabulations for the countdown were complete. `

I guess you could just delete  2 (or is it 3 including his original list)  votes from the top 5 or 10 for each Cameron film.  Would the placement on those lists match his original Top 10 or did he switch it up?

Or everyone else who sent a list could re-send their lists?

It's an awful lot of work for you though on top of the work you've already done.

• Like 1