The Panda

The Odd Case of the Disappearence of the “Non-Franchise” Film

4 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

I think part of this is that franchise movies got better. Just look at the MCU. Obviously not every single person can like any movie (okay, except Paddington 2 :ph34r:) but the audience reception as a whole is incredibly good. Didn’t it used to be that sequels were rarer because there was a perception they tended not to do that well because they tended to be worse than the original?

The way the MCU is structured it can shrug off a meh sequel. They're constantly throwing movies at you that if you didn't like the last one, they have 5 more to win you over on in the next 20 months. Nobody remembered or cared about Dark World when Ragnarok came out. Ditto AOU when Infinity War came out.

Ever since Phase 3 though they've generally jettisoned those types of sequels, at worst you get GOTG2 or Wasp which are seen as being slightly worse than the originals, but nothing on the level of Iron Man 2 or Dark World. A large part of this is because the line between sequels is blurring; can you really call Infinity War a sequel to Age Of Ultron when it also follows up on key plot points from Civil War, Ragnarok, and Black Panther?

But yeah, obviously Marvel is a ridiculous beast. I can see why other studios keep trying to make their own "Marvel" even though they usually miss why it's been so successful. 

• Like 2

MCU fanbase is general Audience. My brothers usually are not that into following stories film by film but they all have been keeping up with MCU. Everybody went to watch Endgame atleast once. 

I watched Endgame 4 times and Captain Marvel 3 times. Movie going is not an important part of India but still I usually don't miss MCU movies on OW. 

I have already watched FFH and now the next big thing for me are TLK and Frozen 2 ie basically Disney movie. 

This is the list of Hollywood movies I watched last year:

Black Panther 

Avengers Infinity War (3x)

Deadpool 2 

Incredibles 2

Jurrassic World 2

Ant man and the wasp 

Venom

Ralph Breaks the Internet 

Aquaman 

Spiderverse 

This year so far:

Captain Marvel (3x)

Endgame (4x)

Aladdin (2x)

Godzilla

Detective Pikachu 

FFH

9 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Wow, this sounds alien to me. I am only able to watch movies (almost always blockbusters) once a month (sometimes twice) in cinemas where I live because it's pretty expensive but I was able to watch 4 movies in a week when I went to visit America last summer. And two of them were not blockbusters (Sorry to Bother You and Won't You Be My Neighbor). This is something I would never do where I live because of how much more they cost. But that's me as a tourist speaking. Maybe I'll feel different when I move to America in a few months.

Wait where do you live where movie tickets are *more* expensive?

Also what did you think of Mr. Rogers?

27 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Also what did you think of Mr. Rogers?

I live in the middle East. A lot of stuff here is really expensive compared to the other countries I've lived in.

Also, I loved the documentary. Of course I never watched Me Rogers as a kid since I'm not American but the documentary was really insightful into why he was loved so much. I found it pretty emotional too.

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I live in the middle East. A lot of stuff here is really expensive compared to the other countries I've lived in.

Also, I loved the documentary. Of course I never watched Me Rogers as a kid since I'm not American but the documentary was really insightful into why he was loved so much. I found it pretty emotional too.

Ah thanks. I imagine a lot of movies aren't available in the middle east.

And considering moviegoing habits across the world, it might even be harder to find certain movies even in other "western" countries compared to the USA.

It could be Hollywood creativity, but honestly after a century of cinema a large problem for me personally is that a huge percentage of stories have been done to death in every genre especially comedy and horror. So unless they're upping the anti in some other way it's like... eh. You could watch some variety of many movies on Netflix, so going out to see something marginally different doesn't feel worth the effort. I watched Booksmart online. It was okay, but I've watched that movie before named something else starring different actors. I've never cared about Oscar bait biopics.

Fantasy is a bit better because you can literally come up with any idea and are not limited to contemporary rules. With that said, we're probably a decade away from feeling the same about superhero movies. MCU's saving grace is that it's a universe, so it feels more like watching a long running, expensive TV show. You feel invested because you grow with these characters and form an attachment you can't in one-off movies. You want to see what they're up to next.  If these movies weren't connected people most likely would have burned out on them quicker because they too have roughly the same structure. With that in mind, it's kind of shame other cinematic universes haven't taken off yet. It's funny because TV is very slowly getting more cinematic and people are flocking to movies that are getting more episodic. One day the line will completely blur.  

I think we're in a period of transition personally. Tastes and habits are changing. It's just a matter of figuring out how to serve that and still do well. Maybe not $2b well but still well enough that everyone keeps eating.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

everything is in cycles , franchise and Disney reign will be over soon relativity speaking , once Disney plus launches i predict a huge decline within 2 years

"The sun will set on my time..."

Also, whoops, I forgot I saw Det Pika...I guess that's semi-original.

The likes of Tarantino and Nolan still get $100m+ budgets but it’s a lot harder for even for the veterans to get that sort of budgets for films that may not get sequels.

The midbudget films has suffered more than the low budget ones although we do occasionally get a break out like American Sniper or Crazy Rich Asians. Yesterday is doing well but that was a fairly low risk for Universal due to the subject matter and a $26m budget. 

This is such a frustrating topic.  I miss the days when you could go see movies like The Firm, A Few Good Men, Julia Roberts and /or Mathew McConnaughey romcoms at the box office.  All these types of films are basically extinct now.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Mekanos said:

The problem is Hollywood is losing young adult audiences; people 16-25 go to the movies less than any other demographic, easily. They have the least amount of money and most amount of options for other, cheaper entertainment.

I am not sure where you got that data (and if it was more up to date than the MPAA report) because I am not sure it is yet the case

https://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/MPAA-THEME-Report-2018.pdf

Per capita  average annual attendance:

2018:

2-11: 3.0

12-17: 5.1

18-24: 5.1

25-39: 4.3

40-49: 4.3

50-59: 3.2

60+: 2.5

They are still the number one demo by capita I think, but it is true they have been bleeding from that audience enormously and that it is an audience that do no work (and drive and/or date) like they did in the past.

I think almost all the downdrop in ticket sales by capita over time is from that demo.

in 2009 for example:

2-11: 4.1

12-17: 7.9

18-24: 8.4

25-39: 4.3

40-49: 3.9

50-59: 3.0

60+: 2.4

Above 25, 2018 sold has much or more ticket by capita than 2009, 100% of the drop if from that giant around 8 time a year in theater to above 5 for the younger crowd.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cannastop said:

I would imagine in most of the "rich" world, movie ticket are much more expensive than the US (in pretty much true for everything, that what make american so rich)

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-most-expensive-movie-ticket-prices-around-the-world.html

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I would imagine in most of the "rich" world, movie ticket are much more expensive than the US (in pretty much true for everything, that what make american so rich)

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-most-expensive-movie-ticket-prices-around-the-world.html

Trying to figure out when that was written. I guess 2013 or so.

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

Trying to figure out when that was written. I guess 2013 or so.

April 2017 I think

This page was last updated on April 25, 2017.

Around 2013 it looked like this apparently (price taken between 2011 to 2014):

UwStvoi.png

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

April 2017 I think

This page was last updated on April 25, 2017.

Around 2013 it looked like this apparently (price taken between 2011 to 2014):

UwStvoi.png

Yeah but American ticket prices were a little more expensive then than what the article said.