Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Long time lurker, first time poster so hopefully doing this right...

The Hobbit: DoS 2D

Cobb Theaters 16 - PBG, Florida

12/25  - 12:45 Showing

90% Full

Trailers:

Divergent - silence

Vampire Academy - crowd laughing and not the good kind

Jupiter Ascending - some murmers

300 RoaE - silence

Movie:

I came down to Florida for the Holiday's and always try to catch a movie or two with the family. This time we had a few choices on which movie to see and we ended up picking this one for Christmas Day (American Hustle is still on the to see list). Speaking of the theatre/showing, I do have to say that it was freakishly empty 7-10 minutes before the showing which surprised me somewhat before hoardes of people came in making it a near sell out.

As for the movie, I have a hard time looking at this movie objectively with the LOTRs still being one of my favorite triologies and the first Hobbit letting me down. Therefore, I went in with lower expectations this time around and in the end DoS met my expectations and the pace was definitely tighter than the first movie which helped out. The crowd (mix between older, younger and families) overall was silent throughout most of the movie with some laughter during the barrel sequence contrasted with the extreme silence during the Smaug parts. I did hear a few wtf's at the ending.

• Like 1

Inside Llewyn Davis

Crowd: About 80% full at a 4:25 showing

Trailers: The Invisible Woman - No reaction

The Past - No Reaction

August: Osage County - Got a bit of murmuring, and heard a lady said she wanted to see it.

Her - No Reaction

The audience was very into the movie, there was lots of laughter, and when I walked out I heard a lot of people talking about loving it.  (Keep in mind this was at an arthouse cinema and was the only one in the area playing the movie, so this is not a GA reaction, this was mostly Coen Bros fans and cinephiles)

My personal review is here

Great flick, and one of the four films that I have given a 10/10 to this year.

Posted Image

Her

7:05PM Thursday, December 26th

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 194 (65% full; audience was pretty diverse, and I was very excited to spot two friends of mine in the row behind me before the movie started)

Ticket Price: $12.50

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

Lone Survivor - this featurette is way too long, got no reaction

August: Osage Country - great cast, but misleading trailer (they make this look like The Family Stone, but every review I've read says it's way more unpleasant); no reaction

Endless Love - "Boo." This trailer got a lot of talking and pity laughs from the crowd

The Other Woman - I thought this looked good when I saw the trailer last week, and my friend finally pointed out why. "It's John Tucker Must Die 20 years later." Spot on, and good reaction.

Winter's Tale - time travel romance with an awesome cast; can't wait! Mediocre reaction from crowd, though.

Edge of Tomorrow - some talking, okay trailer

THE FILM:

Ehhhhhhhh... I don't feel like writing a whole crowd report on this now... lets see how this goes.

It's artsy. The music's amazing. The skyline shots of "future Los Angeles" (AKA Present Day Shanghai) are pretty cool, especially for a nerd like me that studies city planning and has dreams about the day LA's subway system connects the whole city like it does in this movie. The acting is great, ScarJo's voicework is mostly believable. There are sexy parts of the film that are awkward to watch in a crowded room full of people--not uncomfortable, just awkward. Also, some of the coolest/funniest fake video games you'll ever see are in this movie--they left the whole crowd laughing hysterically.

One of my personal favorite quotes is the following: "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events, and small minds discuss people." Throughout much of Her, the innovative story discusses ideas about what makes a relationship and socially acceptable behavior. There are some scenes, though, where I thought the story became too juvenile or gossipy, and it was a little too light considering the context of the rest of the film. When it was over, I sort of sat down scratching my head thinking about it. My friends said they liked it. In terms of smart, art house love stories, I guess the most similar film I would compare this to is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind; however, the films are drastically different in terms of execution, outcome, and plausibility. Still, I'd tell people this is worth watching... just maybe wait for it to come out on Netflix. ;-)

Experience - 21/30

Story/Writing - 17/20

Acting - 11/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 12/15

Directing - 9/10

Music - 10/10 (EXCELLENT music!)

THE VERDICT: 80/100, B

Comments, Likes, and Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Andy Stitzer 2
  • Like 1

My goodness, just saw Wolf of Wall Street today, and if Leo is not nominated for Best Actor...I'll be speechless. It is hands down the best performance he's ever given, and that's saying something considering his career before this film. The movie is also Scorsese's best since Goodfellas, barring The Departed. 

• Like 1

American Hustle

December 27, 3:30 PM, 85% full

Cinemark, Macedonia, OH

Trailers - no reactions

Mr. Peabody and Sherman Cell phone thingie

Lone Survivor

August: Osage County

Her

Inside Llewyn Davis

RoboCop

Monuments Men

I was the only one among the people who saw it who liked it. The audience seemed to enjoy it even though there wasn't much laughter at all. People behind us kept on guessing what was gonna happen next. Nice way to spend the afternoon.

Edited by Blankments

American Hustle

December 27, 3:30 PM, 85% full

Cinemark, Macedonia, OH

Trailers - no reactions

Mr. Peabody and Sherman Cell phone thingie

Lone Survivor

August: Osage County

Her

Inside Llewyn Davis

RoboCop

Monuments Men

I was the only one among the people who saw it who liked it. The audience seemed to enjoy it even though there wasn't much laughter at all. People behind us kept on guessing what was gonna happen next. Nice way to spend the afternoon.

Mr Peabody with American Hustle? :blink:

Wolf of Wall Street

December 27, 10:10PM

Trailers:

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - No reaction

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Looks generic at shit, my friend laughed at the "Shadow Recruit" title name

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - Another long-ass name.  No reaction

It was pretty good but my god did it feel long.  Maybe because my showing was at 10pm and it didn't finish until 1:30am but I kind of just wanted it to end and go home several times.  Still, there were some amazing scenes, and the "lemon" one will be very memorable.  A lot of groans and gasps during some scenes from the audience, some laughs.

7.5/10, would be like 8.5/10 if it was 45 minutes shorter.

You could just taste Leo's thirst for the Oscar during his whole performance though.  Like it was great, but maybe a little too over-the-top and sometimes I felt like his eyes were saying "Oscahs pls"

Posted Image

I hope he gets it though he deserves a break.

• Like 1

Wolf of Wall Street

December 27, 10:10PM

Trailers:

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - No reaction

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Looks generic at shit, my friend laughed at the "Shadow Recruit" title name

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - Another long-ass name.  No reaction

It was pretty good but my god did it feel long.  Maybe because my showing was at 10pm and it didn't finish until 1:30am but I kind of just wanted it to end and go home several times.  Still, there were some amazing scenes, and the "lemon" one will be very memorable.  A lot of groans and gasps during some scenes from the audience, some laughs.

7.5/10, would be like 8.5/10 if it was 45 minutes shorter.

You could just taste Leo's thirst for the Oscar during his whole performance though.  Like it was great, but maybe a little too over-the-top and sometimes I felt like his eyes were saying "Oscahs pls"

Posted Image

I hope he gets it though he deserves a break.

I think you just felt that way because you know he wants an Oscar. This was his loosest and most comedic performance ever. He wasn't trying for the Oscar, he was just playing the bugnuts role the way it should be played. 

• Like 1

Inside Llewyn Davis:

9:35 pm showing

50% full

Movie: B- 

One of the more overrated films of this year. I'm usually gaga for the Coens, but this was a futile exercise in depressing nihilism. Okay, sure, it's about the reality of life where not every artist with talent is going to "make it." But do we really need a two-hour film to tell us that? The protagonist is one-part sympathetic schmuck, two parts unsympathetic jerk. Great performance from Oscar Isaac and funny supporting turns from Carey Mulligan and John Goodman, but those and the exquisite cinematography surrounding them can't make up for the fact that the script, while witty in parts, isn't nearly funny enough to distract from the lack of plot, emotion, or worthwhile thematic content. It's a character study of a guy that is nearly impossible to root for. It's two hours of bad shit happening to a guy that makes bad decisions. 

Saving Mr. Banks

December 29, 3:35 PM, 90% full

Cinemark, Macedonia, OH

Trailers - no reactions

Mr. Peabody and Sherman Cell phone thingie

Winter's Tale

Heaven is for Real

Son of God

Divergent

Muppets Most Wanted

Million Dollar Arm

Fantastic movie. People laughed quite a bit and most people stayed halfway through the credits. Nearly everyone was sniffling at the end too. Great time.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

Trailers I've seen for upcoming films in the cinemaFrozen [about 9 times- turbo, cloudy 2, free birds, saving mr banks, maybe catching fire and more]- Great trailer and can't wait to see this. 9.5/10Homefront [once at Catching Fire]- really confused what it's about. 5/10Nebraska [saw at Philomena and Butler in November]- not getting great reactions but I think its quite good. 7.5/10Hobbit 2 [gravity, catching fire, thor 2 and a couple more]- made me interested in it. 8/10Anchorman 2 [catching fire, thor 2 and maybe once more] -looked amazing but it's a bloody 15. 9/10The Harry Hill Movie [cloudy 2 and free birds]- love this trailer and I love harry hill. 9/10Moshi Monsters [cloudy 2 and free birds]- horrible trailer for what looks like a disaster of a film. 2/10Walking With Dinosaurs [free birds, cloudy 2, catching fire, turbo and about 3/4 more others]- Really looking forward to this and looks to be a nice film for Christmas- 8.5/1047 Ronin [catching fire and another film]- I want to see this and the trailers look Ok. 6/10All Is Lost [The Butler in November]- Not Sure, looks boring. 5/10The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty [saving mr Banks]- Horrible trailer that I nearly fell asleep in. Is this is a silent film?1.5/10Last Vegas [About time, prisoners, captain Philips, saving mr banks and a few more times]- Really funny, especially when Morgan Freeman steps out the window. 8.5/10Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom [Philomena]- It was about a 20 second trailer of a voice over with people walking in a field but I still want to see it. 4/10August: Osage County [saving Mr Banks, the butler in August and one more time]- Really funny and I really want to see this. 8.8/10The Wolf Of Wall Street [the butler in August]- don't really remember it now. 5/10Mr Peabody And Sherman [free birds]- Really funny and looks like a good animation. 8.5/10Captain America: The Winter Soldier [thor 2]- Way better in the cinema than on the computer. 8/10Tarzan 3D [free birds]- WTF is this. I was so confused. 3/10Maleficent [saving mr banks- It was about a 10 second teaser but I am so excited for it. 9.8/10The Boxtrolls [Despicable Me 2 I believe]- Good trailer and I like all of Laika's other films. 8.8/10

More sinceMuppets most wanted/ mr Peabody and Sherman(frozen x2, walking with dinosaurs, harry hill movie)- love this trailer and cant wait for both films. 9/10Lego movie- same films as above (and hobbit 2)and the trailer has really grown on me. 8/10Believe (harry hill movie, hobbit 2)- terrible trailer. -1/10Maleficent (frozen x2)- same as aboveLego movie two minute short clip- (walking with dinosaurs)- ok. 6.5/10The wolf of Wall Street (hobbit 2)- good trailer. 7/10And more that I can't be asked to remember at this minute
  • Like 2

Wolf on Wall Street

5:00pm Wednesday, 25 December

AMC Citywalk

Theater Capacity: 500 (?) Completely Full according to the seat reservations

1:00pm Saturday, 28 December

AMC Citywalk Theatre 1

Theater Capcity: 500 (?) About 20-ish people on the orchestra floor. Didn't check the balcony. 

TRAILERS: (About the Same for both)

Robocop

A lot of TV Stuff including Bates Motel

Million Dollar Arm

Lone Survivor

Some film about Baseball

Monuments Men

Jack Ryan

Non-stop

And a million other sports stuff and I lost count at some point cus there was like a billion of them and it took more than 40 minutes. 

THE FILM:

Oh it was amazing. (Wasn't as good the second time around though.) But it was funny and disgusting and amazing all in one. 

• Like 1

Thought I'd share this here:

"The Boston Common AMC Loews Theater was evacuated at 4:30 p.m. when a pipe burst, according to AMC spokesman Ryan Noonan. The theater is temporarily closed and it is unclear if it will be reopened tonight, Noonan said."

The rest of the story about bursting pipes around Boston can be found here.

I know this is just 1 multiplex, but it's one of the highest grossing ones in the country. If these record-breaking cold temperatures continue wreaking havoc throughout the weekend, I think they'll have a noticeable dent on the weekend box office.

The Hobbit 2

2:15PM about 75% full, from young young kids to old blokes.

Trailers:

Earth to Echo: This looks incomplete-even if it is in April.Captain 2: Still looks great, got quite a good reaction.

TASM 2: Looks pretty good.Boxtrolls: Um okay. Nothing.

Edge of Tomorrow (Had to look this up as I forgot the title): Laughs at it, looks meh at best.  (And I'm one of the few people who actually still like Cruise)

Jupiter Ascending: Not sure what to make of this.

Movie: Really good, better then the first. The visuals were great and the film was quite fun. The audience really enjoyed it. Though I know some people will hate the way it ends (Just like what happened with CF a couple months ago), still good fun.

A-

(I want to see Saving Mr. Banks next I think)

• Like 1