Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

The Hobbit (3D)

Dec 18, 1:20pm, 45% full

Trailers:

Chasing Mavericks - This movie had flop written all over it from the moment pen touched paper and the script was written. Only a few laughs at the "Don't hit the neighbors car" scene, but that's it.

Star Trek - Nothing special for me... I've seen better looking trailers. No one gave a damn around.

Man Of Steel - This looks even more breath taking on the big screen. Not much reaction from people, but the guy next to me was watching the trailer like this:

Posted Image

The movie was better than I expected. I don't know why people complain about it being "stretched" because it's not. Either you don't like the series and that's why you got bored, or you simply don't know when you are supposed to feel bored or not. It had funny moments (

Oh, look what I sneezed out!

), and very good action scenes... People are just hating for no reason.

Edited by ChD

The Hobbit (3D)

Dec 18, 1:20pm, 45% full

Trailers:

Chasing Mavericks - This movie had flop written all over it from the moment pen touched paper and the script was written. Only a few laughs at the "Don't hit the neighbors car" scene, but that's it.

Star Trek - Nothing special for me... I've seen better looking trailers. No one gave a damn around.

Man Of Steel - This looks even more breath taking on the big screen. Not much reaction from people, but the guy next to me was watching the trailer like this:

Posted Image

The movie was better than I expected. I don't know why people complain about it being "stretched" because it's not. Either you don't like the series and that's why you got bored, or you simply don't know when you are supposed to feel bored or not. It had funny moments (

Oh, look what I sneezed out!

), and very good action scenes... People are just hating for no reason.

i agree. Some people just can't sit in a seat for 3 hours. Short attention spans

The Hobbit 3-D 24fpsvery early performance not full but a decent crowd for the timetrailersstar trekman of steel(uk trailers sucks btw)really liked the film,it flew by for me and didnt have any prob with the lenght the 3-D was very good(i use my own better quality glasses though)im getting a bit annoyed with the proffessional reveiws though they seem to focused on techical details of the film and dont seem to have any interest in just reveiwing the content :(i will try 48fps next time i see it

i'm starting to think i'm cursed or maybe something really is wrong with the quality of services at megaplex cinemasi went to see the hobbit 3D with my usual friend (who has a car)and well everything went well until about 40mn to the end the lights came on , and after that the 3D was non-existent,the glasses weren't working i was getting like beam of light in one eye and the other side was crispy dark,i tried squinting but it was just hurting my eyes even more after a few minutes the light went off but glasses never worked afterward so i ended up watching the rest of the movie fuzzy fuzzy without the 3D glasses oni can't tell you what happened as i lost my focus on the film and wasted the rest of it trying to focus to see the visualsi was seething :rant::badday: i swore i was not leaving without being reimbursed!!! what the hell this isnt just a random movie to me they spoiled my first viewing back to middle earth !!!! how dare they?!!!well when the movie was over i stormed out looking for someone but the place was ghost town,i knocked on door of the ticket booth coz i figure someone must be in the office behind, bingooo the manager was there i started complaining to him ,a few people stayed on when they realized what i was talking about and backed me up , the guy was intent on not doing anything he asked us why we didnt come to complain and this man and his wife said yes they did,he said he came out twice and no one was around, i told him its ridiculous to have to pay for 3D and not benefit from it!so one i didnt get to follow the film two me and my friend got a nice little headache for our trouble (they seem to have this habit of nobody complaining even when face with their poor services )finally he took our tickets stub about 8 of us and gave us free pass for two to see a film, as we left the customer who went to complain told me that its not the glasses but probably one of the cameras that stopped working? hence why the light came on and afterwards it stopped working, is this true anyone has any idea how 3D works on a big screenas for the movie itself i like it well enough but once i was pulled out of it by incidence ,i never was able to get back in ,it clouded everything now i'll just go back to see it but in 2D , i'm never going to watch a film in 3D ever again, i hate when outside forces that have nothing to do with film itself make me not enjoy myself as i would have otherwise! :kane:i'll say this though i'm very fond of richard armitage and found his portrayal of thorin to be perfect :wub:WebRepÉvaluation globaleCe site n'a pas été évalué(pas assez de votes)

Edited by ladyevenstar22
  • Like 1

finally he took our tickets stub about 8 of us and gave us free pass for two to see a film, as we left the customer who went to complain told me that its not the glasses but probably one of the cameras that stopped working? hence why the light came on and afterwards it stopped working, is this true anyone has any idea how 3D works on a big screen

Hope your next theatrical "adventure" will be a better one :cheekkiss:Most 3D theaters nowadays work with a single projector; I suppose it's just the polarization element that became defective.

Hope your next theatrical "adventure" will be a better one :cheekkiss:Most 3D theaters nowadays work with a single projector; I suppose it's just the polarization element that became defective.

thanks for explanation...i'm starting to doubt i'll ever have a good one again at this theatre if material in projector rooms is defective
  • Like 1

well, it's a lot of digital and mechanical hi-tech in there and a lot can go wrong ... mostly it works quite good actually; maybe some here don't remember the days of 35mm film and what could go wrong with those. I remember a show (don't remember which film anymore) where sound and picture slowly drifted apart ... first everything was in sync, but after a few minutes there was a distinct difference between the words and the lip movements which was quite annoying, and it got worse. They stopped the projection, fiddled with the equipment and started again from minutes before the stop.Also, there was one show of Avatar where the 3D wasn't working (I guess again the polarization unit) but they happened to have another, smaller screen free and asked us if we wanted to switch to the smaller theater or watch it in 2D - good management there.

• Like 1

Rise of the Guardians

December 23, 4:35 PM, 70% full (small theater)

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers - No reactions

Cirque Du Soile: Worlds Apart

The Croods

Monsters, Inc. 3D

Really good movie, only the second truly great animation this year. Deserves to do better. Decent amount of laughs throughout the screening, thanks to a LOT of kids.

I just want to share for the record that there have been 4 films I've seen in the last couple weeks that I failed to crowd report. So I'm going to do a very abridged collection of reports for all four of them.

Life of Pi in RPX 3D

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX, 6:15PM Dec 13

Theater Capacity: 450 (5% full), $15

Trailers: Parental Guidance; Epic; Smurfs 2; The Hobbit: AUJ; Jurassic Park 3D; Oz; The Host

Experience - 14/30

Story/Writing - 16/20; was getting very, very annoyed by the story until the final 10 minutes of the film. Then it made me think for a few days.

Acting - 13/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 15/15; definitely a feast for the eyes

Directing - 9/10

Music - 7/10

THE VERDICT: 74/100, B

The Hobbit in IMAX 3D

Jordan's Furniture IMAX Reading, 11:30AM Dec 15

Theater Capacity: 500 (100% full, sold out), $14

Trailers: Extended look at Star Trek: Into Darkness - it looks famazing!

Experience - 29/30

Story/Writing - 17/20; I read the book and was both impressed and flabbergasted at the adaptation. While I recall the book being specifically about Bilbo (The Hobbit), the film felt a lot more like The Hobbit, The Dwarves, and The Wizard. I.e. there was a lot more story on screen than in the book--not a bad thing, just surprising that they really loaded the film so much.

Acting - 14/15; almost all this is credited to Andy Serkis' performance as Gollum

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 15/15

Directing - 8/10

Music - 9/10

THE VERDICT: 92/100, A

This is 40

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX, 7:40PM Dec 21

Theater Capacity: 250 (80%+ full), $0 (free ticket)

Trailers: Identity Thief, Admission, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (THIS LOOKS SO AMAZING!!!!!), Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, Lone Ranger, A Haunted House

Experience - 28/30; nearly laughed the whole way through (save for some deep dramatic moments)

Story/Writing - 20/20; excellent laughs:jokes ratio

Acting - 13/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 10/15

Directing - 10/10

Music - 10/10; LOVED the music in this and the purpose every song had in its respective scene

THE VERDICT: 91/100, A

The Guilt Trip

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX, 10:10PM Dec 21

Theater Capacity: 150 (8% full, only 12 people), $0 (okay, so I snuck in to this one)

Trailers: Star Trek: Into Darkness, World War Z, Beautiful Creatures, Identity Thief, Oz, Admission

Experience - 10/30; texting and talking behind me, too small an audience for a new comedy

Story/Writing - 10/20; the jokes in this only worked half of the time, and the story was so shoddily written

Acting - 8/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 6/15

Directing - 6/10

Music - 6/10

THE VERDICT: 46/100, D

Edited by Andy Stitzer 2