Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Glad you enjoyed MI4.But yeah, not many audience in that theater. not good.

well I mean they just moved the release up a day and all the promos did say starting tomorrow so thats probably why. I remeber seeing Transformers 3 when they moved the release to 9pm the night before and not many people were there.

MI: Ghost Protocol

7:30 PM Thursday 12/15/11

Sold Out in a 338 seater

Trailers:

Players (Indian Movie)

Movie:

Excellent actioner with an entertaining screenplay. The action scenes are breathtaking and got several applauses and wows from the audience. The MI theme was different and did not sound good.

A-

Edited by jb007

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows13:15 12/16/2011Eastbourne Cineworld 6, UK60/250Trailers:The Iron Lady - ugh, bitch. SilenceJack and Jill - some laughsDragon tattoo - whisperMI4- not muchJourney 2 - looks fun, lots of laughs at the endMovie:Great fun, better than the first in my opinion. Downey was great as usual, his raport with Law is great. The guy who played Moriarty was great as well. Noomi Rapace didn't seem as well utilized as she should have been, but oh well. I loved Stephen Fry though. Over here he is a national treasure, up there with the cup of tea, and seeing him as Holmes' brother was a delight. That all said, the action could have been better, there was an overusage of slowed down analytical fighting and sometimes Sherlock seemed more psychic than clever. But all in all its a great time at the movies this christmas.B+

• Like 1

Brief reports (won't bother with trailers or number of people there):

AMC Rockaway

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol IMAX

9:45 AM (cheaper ticket)

Best of the series easily. I was laughing hysterically at Cruise climbing up the Burj Khalifa, not because it was bad, but because my dad, who wasn't with me, has a fear of heights and was thinking about how he would react. Performances are great, not to mention Paula Patton is gorgeous.

A

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

2:20 PM

Weaker and less fun than the first one. Some good action scenes, but less humor. Performances are good though. Enjoyed Jared Harris as Moriarty. And I liked the mental battle he had with Holmes where he countered Holmes' premeditated fight maneuvers.

B

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

MIssion imposssible 412:15 show250 seat theater50% fullTrailersTitanic 3D...the worst reaction I've EVER seen to a trailer. There were groans and boos when it first started and then loud laughs when Celine Dion's screeching began.John Carter...no reactionGI Joe 2...no reactionThe movie was good, but played a little long, imo.

When they played the twilight trailer in front of HP at the midnight screenings this happened, in a theatre of 450 people :P fantastic to see!

That probably would of happened in my theater but the projector wasnt working right and the midnight showing didnt start till 1am so they skipped all the trailers so we can get to the movie.

Sherlock Holmes IIMidnight showing60% fullTrailers:MI4 - some chatterWar Horse - silenceThe Dark Knight Rises - cheers, some clappingMovie: B-Entertaining, a couple good action sequences (forest chase is a highlight), a couple good performances (Besides Downey, Jared Harris steals the show), and continued chemistry between Holmes and Watson. However, the endless pithy banter begins to annoy, especially with every character speaking so quickly and so "English." The comedy isn't nearly as effective and at times too over-the-top (Holmes' array of disguises grow tiresome). Until the climactic showdown, the story is convoluted and quite hard to follow. An exciting climax, riveting scenes between Holmes and Moriarty, and a plot that goes to some interesting places toward the end saves the film from becoming a shallow, over-directed copy of the original.

The Sitter7:45pm showing50% fullTrailers:Project X - laughsChronicle - chatterThe Three Stooges - few laughs at the Snookie jokeMovie: C-Not always laugh-out-loud funny, and I'm not sure it really earns the more "heartfelt" moments between particular characters, but this is nowhere near as bad as the reviews make it out to be. Their accusations that the movie is racist and homophobic are way off base. Jonah Hill is likeable as usual, Sam Rockwell once agains plays a great villian, and it has its share of laughs. Despite all that...too many cliches, the kids are not likable at all for a good stretch of the film, and it's chock-full of plot holes. Very flawed, but passable entertainment on a rainy day.

Edited by tonytr87

Posted Image

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol in IMAX

8:00PM Friday, December 16th

Jordan's Furniture IMAX Reading, MA (I believe this theater is in a two-way tie for best movie screen in the country--the other being the ArcLight Cinerama Dome in Hollywood, CA).

Theater Capacity: 500 (100% sold out, not a single empty seat in sight. Also, this was a very male-dominated audience)

Ticket Price: $11.50

TRAILERS: (None)

-------------------------

SPECIAL EVENT: The Dark Knight Rises - Prologue (***NO SPOILERS LAY AHEAD***)

Posted Image

This footage alone was definitely worth the 30-minute train ride and price of admission to see M:I4. At the moment I cannot think of anything more beautiful in the world than 70mm/IMAX footage from a Christopher Nolan film. People may be quick to tell me "There's a whole world you could see out there with your very own two eyes. How can that be less beautiful than '70mm/IMAX footage from a Christopher Nolan film'?" To them I have only two words to say: Wally Pfister. Batman may be the hero in the story and Nolan may be the hero of the Batman franchise, but from the footage I witnessed Cinematographer Wally Pfister is the hero of the movie-going experience. The man who captured Joseph Gordon Levitt effortlessly doing a zero-gravity roll and Christian Bale elevated above the whole of Gotham City (Chicago) has once again outdone himself in a jaw-droppingly awesome first six minutes of a film poised to become heralded as one of the greatest films of our generation.

I'd say more, but I really don't want to spoil anything folks. Just know that TDK-fan or not, you will be blown away by how cool this movie is going to be.

-------------------------

THE FILM: (M:I4)

M:I4 was a really fun movie and, once again, worth glimpsing at on an engrossing 5-story high IMAX screen. I should note that I've really only seen the first Mission: Impossible movie (I fell asleep during 2 and didn't even bother with 3), so this report should be considered as one from somebody not that attached to the franchise. On that note, the film was still extremely fast-paced, easy-to-follow, and an affirmation that Tom Cruise is still--and always will be--a superstar.

This film definitely has the trademark elements of all parties involved, which I thought really heightened the experience. After hearing only the first few seconds of the movie's score, I knew it was Michael Giacchino's work (and confirmed it minutes later when the opening titles began rolling). Between some stylized shots and a cameo by Josh Holloway (AKA Sawyer from "Lost"), this was obviously the work of J.J. Abrams. And the feeling of the movie was very reminiscent of another great action adventure from the last 10 years... Pixar's The Incredibles, which shared Director Brad Bird on M:I4. So right off the bat this film has all kinds of awesome in it. Queue pre-couch-jumping, epically-awesome-action-star Tom Cruise, and we've got a real winner! The whole supporting cast was great--Simon Pegg is hilarious as ever, Paula Patton dishes a sincere emotional effort, and Jeremy Renner holds his own against the cast--but this is Tom's show, and he performs it brilliantly.

A heart-pounding, heavily promoted 15-minute scene of Tom Cruise scaling the glass of a 2,700-foot tall skyscraper in the middle east is possibly the most spectacular thing I've witnessed on a movie screen all year (shy, of course, of the TDKR footage). The ads don't do the movie justice--Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol is a larger-than-life action movie that satisfies on mostly all levels and will leave you on the edge of your seat. And judging from the crowd reaction, our opinions were mutual. GO SEE THIS!

THE VERDICT: 9.6 / 10.0, A

• Like 1