Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

I saw in the BFI IMAX as well and I agree it's stunning to watch especially the Burj Khalifa scene which was jaw dropping, IMAX beats 3D any day and TDKR prologue was good, I'm definetly considering doing either the midnight or first day for TDKR. It's the first MI which felt like a team effort rather than Ethan Hunt and a little help from the IMF.

Well, the Christmas holiday weekend is always movie time in my family, so the last three days I've caught MI4 and TGWTDT, but today was...

War Horse

12:45pm Sunday

95% full, but only playing on one screen at my theatre. Mix of mostly adults, but skewed a bit older on the adult side.

Trailers:

This Means War - lots of laughter

The Pirates - lots of laughter and chatter

ParaNorman - nothing (the first time I've seen this one...I think it will go over better with a full trailer )

Act of Valor - a tiny bit of chatter

Titanic 3D - some talk

Chimpanzee - a lot of "awwwws"

John Carter - nothing

The Movie -

Well, it delivers what is promised, basically. The star is the horse, by far, and the animal shots are incredibly well done. The war scenes are not overly bloody (Saving Private Ryan this is not), but the brutality of war is there, and quite the thing to swallow after the idyllic beginning. I'm sure this movie will be too sentimental for some, but it worked for me. The only thing that was way off for me were the last shots, because emulating Gone With the Wind in celluloid style was a bit much for this movie to carry off. Overall it was enjoyable for me, though. The audience applauded at the end. Only the second time in recent memory that has happened in a theater for me. Word of mouth should be good.

B/B+

War Horse11:30am showing95% full (pretty incredible for such an early showing)Trailers:The Vow - silence (McAdams needs to move on from this drek)ParaNorman - silenceChimpanzee - notable female reactionJohn Carter - silenceBig Miracle - good reactionMovie: A-Much better than I expected. The first half-hour or so is a little hokey, but after that Spielberg's command of his craft overwhelms any cloying sentimentality. Felt a lump in my throat more than a few times, and once Joey enters the war there's a slew of iconic moments. The horse really is the star here. The film is a mix of realistic and unrealistic (Spielberg's trademark happy turnouts) without ever becoming unbelievable. Audience seemed to like it and there was applause at the end.

Edited by tonytr87

The Darkest Hour

I decided to see this mainly because War Horse was sold out and it was only on 1 screen so the next show was 3 hours away

3:15 Showing, 45-50 people, more than I expected to be honest.

Trailers:

Man on a ledge- no reaction

The Grey- small reaction

Chronicle- another small reaction.

The movie.

I went in with low expectations figuring it looked a lot like Skyline, but it actually wasn't bad. It won't make my top 10 for the year, but neither will it make my bottom 10. The crowd seemed fine with it, certainly no disparaging comments like Skyline. Even the acting was decent, mainly thanks to Olivia Thirlby who has some good acting chops, the rest were ok but there were some pretty cliche characters.

All in all I found it to be a decent time filler on a slow x-mas, but it'll probably end up under 20 mil total.

• Like 1

we bought a zoo12.5560-70 percent fulltrailersnote there were some strange trailers for a family film.the vowred tailsbig mericlethe three stoogesthe movie was funny and greatside note there were a lot of older people like in their 40s and upthe movie was great

Okay the theater was very crowded. Most crowded I've seen this year. (Though not surprised by that)The Adventures of Tintin 3D1:25 PMVERY few seats were open. Audience was of all ages, quite a few young kids as well as people in there 50s+Trailers:Episode I 3D: I heard a couple of claps.The Lorax (New trailer): Tons of laughs.Titanic 3DMIB3: Tons of laughs, looks great. Glad to see this is coming out. Had the best reaction I believe.Brave: Laughs all over.Madagascar 3: Tons and tons of laughs. Looks pretty good.Movie: Very fun. I call this "Indy Jr." I believe this was the early 50s based off the car at the end (I thought at first it was the late 30s) Funny as well. Smegol made me laugh. As did the 2 twin cops, not the smartest men in the world. Seeing or should I say hearing Craig as the villian was intresting. The music was fantastic, sounded alot like Indy, but no surprise there. And I love how the animation was on top of real images, oh the 3D was great as well. This blew Avatar out of the water. The audience really enjoyed it.On a side note-nearbye where I was sitting I heard someone that I could tell had to have been a Tintin fan as they seem to know quite a bit.Oh the opening credits-great felt like a old fashion film with that.One of the best of the year.A

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

7:20pm Christmas Day

90% full

Trailers:

Rock of Ages: This actually looks pretty good. Some chatter

Paranorman: No reaction

Can't remember the others

Movie:

I enjoyed this one more than the first. RDJ is great again, and Law had a little more to go on this time, and contributed well. I also agree that Rapace's role was kind of pointless. I enjoyed the stylized action sequences and trick work that went on throughout. One of the better films I've seen this year.

A-

• Like 1

BTW when leaving the theater I noticed quite a few films were sold out, including:War HorseMI4SH2Alvin 3The Descendents (yes really!)TintinAnd one other one, can't remember what film it was. (I think Muppets was actually sold out the more I think about it)

• Like 1

THE ARTIST

2:30pm

The Michigan Theater

~200 People

The Crowd: As expected, mostly old people, but there were some relatively younger audiences. Considering how this is the only theater in the area showing this movie, and the inflated monday at the movies, this massive crowd wasn't that surprising.

The Experience: It was amazing to watch a movie like this in such a coveted historic auditorium. I couldn't think of another movie that came out this year more fitting for this setting, in fact. The projector started showing ads over the movie in the opening scene, but it went away before too soon. It was still annoying though. Other than that, it was a very solid experience.

The Movie: OH MY GOD. I ADORED IT. This could be the best movie of the year for me.

• Like 1