Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Over the past week or so (not listing trailers as they were all for crap movies):Sherlock Holmes: A Game of ShadowsDecember 17th12:30PM75/300Grade: 4/10Painfully boring and completely unengaging. I'm hoping it continues to underperform so that the world doesn't have to endure another one.Young AdultDecember 18th7:10PM30/100Grade: 9/10This was a re-watch and it is one of the very best films of the year. Theron gives a top-notch performance and the script is razor sharp.The Girl with the Dragon TattooDecember 21st7:00PM250/300Grade: 8/10Better than the Swedish version on every level, but still suffers from being an adaptation of a novel with a flawed narrative. Still a very entertaining movie though with a great performance by Mara (far better than Rapace).The Adventures of TintinDecember 22nd3:00PM30/200Grade: 6/10It's entertaining and features terrific action sequences, but gets a bit repetitive. I also know nothing about the character Tintin, so being thrown into that world without any backstory was a problem for me.Mission: Impossible - Ghost ProtocolDecember 23rd3:30PM350/400Grade: 7/10Mesmerizing action and fun character interaction, but the plot is fairly weak. I still had a blast with it though.We Bought a ZooDecember 24th12:00PM200/300Grade: 7/10Not top-tier Crowe, but the best family offering out there right now, easily. It's funny, smart, heartwarming and features one of the best soundtracks of the year. I highly recommend taking your family.War HorseDecember 25th6:30PM100/300Grade: 3/10Ugh, what a piece of garbage. Spielberg cues the string music as the kid rides the horse over a hill before you get a chance to get comfortable in your seat, so you know right away you are in for a manipulative sap fest. The first 30-40 minutes are the most pathetic thing I have seen at the cinema this year. I seriously wanted to walk out, but had family with me that wanted to stay. It gets better after that, but even the most interesting moments were completely arbitrary. This is coming from a huge Spielberg fan.

• Like 1

I saw 3 movies this weekend that I didn't write crowd reports for... it was too exhausting at the time. Anyway they were The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (another home run for Fincher 9.9/10.0, A+); We Bought A Zoo (CHEEZY-but nice, 7.6/10.0, C); and Young Adult (least favorite Jason Reitman movie, but still... 9.4/10.0, A... that guy's amazing!).

Sorry I let you guys down. I'm sure I'll have something for you next week.

• Like 1

I have copies of all my reports, but not a ranking of the grades. And I've said this before: my ranks heavily take into account the "crowd" experience, not just quality of the movie. That's what I believe differentiates my "crowd reports" from just another movie review.In any case, though, I'm revamping the whole grading system in 2012... My friends think I grade too fairly as well, which is very possible. I'll grade them based on a fixed criteria, including: acting, direction, screenplay/story quality, sound/score/cinematography, how well or poorly it serves its genre, and--above all--overall crowd experience.

• Like 2

Oh, I see. Then every showing at Jordan's will be a 9.99999+ :lol:

Except Harry Potter. I saw DH2 there this summer. Once the power went out and they refunded us with vouchers, went back a second time, and thought the 3D took away from the experience. I'd rather see that glorious IMAX without the annoying fucking glasses on my face. :lol:

How awesome was MI4/Bat Prologue in it though? That tops any movie I've ever seen there- including TDK and Inception!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo2:20pm showing90% fullTrailers:Rock of Ages - laughs, good reactionContraband - silence21 Jump Street - laughsGhost Rider 2 - person next to me: "the first one was bad"John Carter - silenceMovie: AFincher does it again. I had my doubts due to some of the subdued and/or mediocre critical notices, but his command of the craft here is on par with The Social Network. Granted, I had never read the book or seen the original movies, so I was going in fresh-faced and without a clue of where the story was headed. Mara is excellent and deserves an Oscar nomination, Craig gives a fine performance himself, and the climactic sequence with him, Lisbeth, and the killer is one of the best scenes of the year, all set to a gloriously incongruous 80's song. Nomination for cinematography and editing should also be in store if voters can get past the rape scene, which is appropriately brutal and intense.

THE LION KING 3DTuesday, 1:05 PM301 seats, just me there :lol:TrailersThe Lorax - Looks very funny, I will see it.Madagascar 3 - I like to move it, move it...Movie: A classic. There are no family movies like this anymore. It is a shame that Alvin 3 and PiB are killing it here. It is a fantastic movie and everyone should see it. I bought the DVD right after seeing the movie. The 3D was good. The perfect animation movie. 10/10----------------------------------------------------------------------------------ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS 3: CHIPWRECKEDWednesday, 1:00 PM151 seats, 50% FullTrailersPuss in Boots - some kid screamed "I saw it with my mommy"... who the fuck cares?Movie: Fun for kids. Boring for adults. The first one is just fine but the 2nd and this are terrible. At least, they are harmless fun for kids, and kids love Alvin and his friends. 5.5/10----------------------------------------------------------------------------------SEEKING JUSTICEThursday, 9:50 PM210 seats, about 20 peopleTrailersSherlock Holmes 2 - Some laughs, can't wait to see it.MIB3 - No reaction.Movie: A decent thriller with Nicolas Cage doing a decent job. At least, it is much better than that disaster called Trespass. Guy Pearce can do no wrong and he is great in the movie. January Jones is just there. She can't act. Cage is fine. He looks like a maniac with that hair and beard :lol: . 7/10

Young Adult2:20 showing15 peopleTrailers:One For The Money - few laughsThe Dictator - Lots of laughs very good reaction cant wait for this one.Wanderlust - few laughs it looks funnyHaywire - no reactionTitanic 3D - no reaction but shamefully this brought up the fact I hated Titanic and that brought on a huge debate on why I was wrong.Review: I really liked the film but during the movie all I could say is that Theron's character was really messed up in the head. The character is a terrible person who is very unlikable. Oswalt's character was also ****ed up but you feel really bad for him unlike Theron's character. I felt everybody get a great job in the movie and was very enjoyable to watch. Its very dark humor and during some situations all I could say is WTF? The ending didn't ruin the movie for me but I could see it ruining the movie for other people. I feel like this has some re-watch value.Grade: A-

Edited by MovieGuyKyle16
  • Like 1

Puss in Boots - some kid screamed "I saw it with my mommy"... who the fuck cares?

For the kid it was probably enough that he did.

SEEKING JUSTICEThursday, 9:50 PM210 seats, about 20 people

Between this and TLK it seems like your theater is crowded as heck.

Cage is fine. He looks like a maniac with that hair and beard :lol: .

So business as usual, eh?Funny I've never heard of this movie before. Gonna have to look it up.
  • Like 1

Those 2 movies are not doing anything special here. Join that the theater were I went, that usually doesn't have a lot of people outside of the big releases, and you have movies where you are alone or with 10-20 people tops :lol:

MI48:30 todayMust've been a bit over 100 people, I guessTrailers:The DictatorThe Iron LadyCoriolanus Aardman Pirate ThingWhat a diverse bunch of trailers......Audience reaction to film - was great. Could tell most really enjoyed it.Oh, and I saw Dragon Tattoo earlier. Around 2PM. There was hardly a crowd so it's difficult to give a crowd report.

Okay, I think I've seen John Carter's trailer about 500 times...Okay not that much :PAnyway-it has been at just about every non family film for the past 6 months. (Lorax I've seen at every family film for the past 3 months)

Okay, I think I've seen John Carter's trailer about 500 times...Okay not that much :PAnyway-it has been at just about every non family film for the past 6 months. (Lorax I've seen at every family film for the past 3 months)

I luckily have only seen the John Carter trailer only twice and I'm glad because when I seen the trailer all I could think was BOMB