Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Came back from my first H1 viewing, 48fps, 3D.

Thu 8pm, about 350 people in a 500-seater.

Trailers: Frankenweenie (some reactions), Oz (don't expect big numbers OS)

reactions: Mostly very positive, everybody was chatting about the quality of the picture. They enjoyed the story too, it's much lighter than LotR and there were lots of laughs and snickers. No complaints about the running time, in fact my ladyfriend (who has never read Hobbit nor LotR) was caught by surprise by the ending: "That never were three hours!"

The opening here is weaker than expected but I expect good WOM and a healthy holiday run (no holidays anywhere this week).

Its been an while since I did an Crowd ReportThe Hobbit 2-D12/14 12:40amIthaca Mall 14Sold out - 209 all young college, kids Male to Female 60/40Trailers: (I was not expecting an lot of these trailers)Escape From Planet Earth - had an few laughs but not a great reactionWarm Bodies - few laughs, for some reason watching this trailer I felt like it gave away most of the movie. Heard an girl say it was basically Zombies for Twilight fans. Got people talkingEpic - few laughs, animation looks great, not much of an big reactionOblivion - some o's when Morgan Freemen and the mole people show up but I felt people didn't care after that point.After Earth - people were kinda interested but for me personally I was not fully impressed. It was an good move by the studio not putting any names on the trailer (aka Shymalandingdong)Pacific Rim - decent reaction, I think it looks awesome(I was slightly disappointed there was no Superman trailer)Movie Reaction:the movie was ok not great. My favorite parts of the movie has to be anytime Gollum was on the screen. He was great in this movie, he also looks great. Can we give Andy Serkis an oscar yet? Now when the credits rolled the movie was given an few claps, but the main question everyone was asking was How in the heck are they going to make this into 3 movies??

Edited by MGK17

The Hobbit IMAX 12:01 Showing 99% FullTrailers:A Good Day to Die Hard: somewhat good reaction a few people laughed at the line when Bruce said damn right when his son said we arn't a huggin familyOz the Great and Powerful: not really a good reactionJack the Giant Slayer: Somewhat decent reactionMan of Steel: Great Reaction people clapped when the Superman Logo came on the ScreenStar Trek 9 Min Preview: This was awesome somebody clapped when Cumberbatch showed up on the screen in the 1st clip. The Lava scene with Spock looked Fantastic in IMAX 3D I can't wait to see this move in May. People clapped at the end of the footage.The Movie: Overall I liked it but for some reason during the fight scenes I thought everybody was moving in fast motion but overtall it was a pretty good movie. As always Andy Serkis as Gollum was great and he probably got the best reaction from the crowd. The Crowd overall seemed to like it when we left we got some Special Imax posters so that was very cool.

The Hobbit3PMAbout 95% full (tons of sold outs I noticed-should have nice legs it seems due to the Christmas season) Quite a few girls in there 20s-40s.Trailers:Oblvion: Looks kind of odd.Star Trek 2: Looks great. Audience enjoyed it.After Earth: Actually looks decent. Love how they left out the directors name.Lone Ranger: Fantastic reaction. Looks really good.Jack the Giant Slayer: Laughs. Looks decent.Man of Steel: Looks promising-coming from someone who has always disliked Superman.Movie: Really really good. Loved the visuals and the cinematography. Sets and costumes were well done. The 3d was one of the best I've seen for a movie. Loved the fighting parts and the Gollem scenes were great. The audience loved this film. Tons of claps happened at the end. The music was the same as the original-which I loved as why change it? I don't see what the critics deal with this was. But who cares about them-the audience enjoys it.A

• Like 1

The Hobbit3PMAbout 95% full (tons of sold outs I noticed-should have nice legs it seems due to the Christmas season) Quite a few girls in there 20s-40s.Trailers:Oblvion: Looks kind of odd.Star Trek 2: Looks great. Audience enjoyed it.After Earth: Actually looks decent. Love how they left out the directors name.Lone Ranger: Fantastic reaction. Looks really good.Jack the Giant Slayer: Laughs. Looks decent.Man of Steel: Looks promising-coming from someone who has always disliked Superman.Movie: Really really good. Loved the visuals and the cinematography. Sets and costumes were well done. The 3d was one of the best I've seen for a movie. Loved the fighting parts and the Gollem scenes were great. The audience loved this film. Tons of claps happened at the end. The music was the same as the original-which I loved as why change it? I don't see what the critics deal with this was. But who cares about them-the audience enjoys it.A

Well, let's face facts. Lord of the Rings had the more epic storyline. Maybe critics were expecting that same level of epicness in terms of story.

Love your reports Andy, do you have a compilation of your top movies of the year?

I know I answered this once already with a post quoting superlatives from 2011; however, I thought about it and decided to put a bracket together of my top movies of the year ( * NOTE, this is a bracket breakdown and not necessarily a reflection of my top crowd experiences):http://www.flickr.com/photos/51241872@N04/8275921245/ Edited by Andy Stitzer 2

The Hobbit, HFR IMAX 3DAbout 75% full.Star Trek 9 minute preview: This was amazing. Great visuals, every member of the crew gets a shining moment in the 9 minutes shown (which was really good to see) and the cliffhanger it left the scene at was good as well. A few members of the audience applauded when the preview was done.Trailers:Oblivion: Looks good on the big screen and some noise when Morgan Freeman showed upAfter Earth: Bad trailer placement, this followed Oblivion which tread the same post-apocalyptic earth path. Not many seemed into this trailerA Good Day to Die Hard: No reactionMan of Steel: Some audience members applauded following the trailer. Good trailerMovie:The movie has a major issue in that it takes way too long to get going. It could easily have been trimmed by 30-40 minutes and not lost a lot in terms of narrating a story. I don't get the criticism about "Radagast the brown" since he is barely in the movie, he is annoying when on screen but nowhere near a Jar-jar binks as people are calling him.The biggest issue i had with the movie was the sheer number of "Last-second saves" present in it.

By this i mean that all will seem lost, the heroes are one second away from getting killed when suddenly.. Gandalf shows up, The elves show up, Gandalf shows up again, Bilbo shows up, the dwarves show up, the really big birds show up... and so on. This happened way too much in the movie, and robbed every moment of any tension whatsoever.

A few people in the audience did not have any idea this was only the first of 3 movies. Some knew it was the first, but they assumed it was the first of two. I overheard people going "That was it? It was a pretty short book right?" and "Well, they will end it in part 2 next year". WB really needs to let people know it is a trilogy.Overall, i would say it is not great, not bad, merely a decent movie which could have been so much shorter.One weakness in comparison to LOTR:FOTR is the lack of character development. At the end of FOTR i could name each character in the fellowship and a character trait related to them. Here, all the dwarves are interchangable and nothing to differentiate them from each other (except for Thorin). I can't even remember the other dwarf names.HFR review:The HFR was really noticeable in the first 45 minutes (i.e. till they leave the shire) then it kept popping up in scenes where there is minimal CGI. The CGI scenes were not affected by the HFR.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER6:30PM60% Full, was a small cinema as the movie's been out for a while.Trailers:Beautiful Creatures: Looks better then I had expected, not much reaction.Guilt Trip: A few laughs, seems like a fun movie to watch with the family.The Hobbit: Some whispered its name when it first started, though no one really said anything.Wreck It Ralph: Best reaction, mainly when familiar faces such as Pacman, Bowser, Sonic, etc popped up. Movie:Loved the movie, was better than I had expected. Lots of twists and turns and was so beautifully written and well acted. Kind of slow at the beginning though, but overall was a fun movie to watch and can't wait to get it on DVD.B+My first crowd report, done.

• Like 2

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in IMAX 3D

December 16, 2:30 PM, 85% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers - No big reactions this time around except for one trailer; noted.

A Good Day To Die Hard - walked in late on this one.

Star Trek Into Darkness Prologue - LOOKS GREAT. I can't believe that's converted 3D, and easily the best trailer we saw. Someone thought it was Star Wars though.

Jack the Giant Killer - No reaction.

Man of Steel - Looks interesting.

Movie overall was pretty good, but a bit long. Some laughs throughout, but no applause at the end. The only reason I saw it in IMAX was for Star Trek, and I thought it was worth it. :P

The Hobbit in 48fps Dolby Atmos

Dec 16, 12:25pm, 80% full

Arclight Sherman Oaks

Trailers:

The Croods -- not much reaction

Star Trek -- looked fantastic, lots of buzz from

the audience

Pacific Rim -- looks great on the big screen. Some applause and cheers (yes, really!)

Man of Steel -- again, looks fantastic. Not much crowd reaction.

It's the second time I've seen TH. The pacing felt somewhat better this time. The audience ate it up, laughed at all the right moments and some applause at the end.