Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Fast 6

Amstar 14 $8.00 7:00 Friday full

RIPD - UGLY on the big screen and JB is annoying, this needs to bomb. no talk

Wolverine - eh. brief talk.

Pacific Rim - looks okay on the big screen, small talk

Red 2 - looks terrible and a generic sequel, all the jokes fell flat, even the trunk one at the end, reaction from maybe 2 people

Riddick - no reaction

No MOS, I was pissed. I was like come on, the crowd needs to see this.

I already posted my reaction on Friday, but basically there were little kids, teens, families, adults 35+, some seniors, blacks, whites, Hispanics, literally everyone. The crowd enjoyed it and it was all smiles from everyone walking out. Roman's chemistry with everyone stole the show and the climax had everyone on edge. Seeing this again next week, the first time I've seen a movie twice since Karate Kid 2010 I think (I didn't see it twice on purpose). Here's my review, spoiler free. http://jaysonb593.blogspot.com/2013/05/furious-6-shifts-into-high-gear.html A+ from me.

Edited by jandrew

Andy, why didn't you see Fast 6 like I told you?

Don't take it personally--I'm interested in seeing Fast & Furious 6, but would prefer to watch it only after I've seen 4 and 5 first. Also, I'm on vacation visiting family/friends in South Florida, and nobody down here has been interested in going to see Fast 6. But you know me... I try to mix things up a little and decided to watch the rare summer drama instead:

Posted Image

At Any Price

9:45PM Monday, May 27th

Regal Delray 18

Theater Capacity: 175 (8% full, definitely not a 'crowd')

Ticket Price: $0.00 ( *I had a free ticket for Regal)

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

Love Is All You Need - looks like a funny rom-com; no reaction.

Fill the Void - Israeli family drama, looks interesting; no reaction.

Kon Tiki - I was so upset with myself that I hadn't watched this trailer before because this movie looks really, really awesome. Everyone should watch the trailer. No reaction from crowd, though.

Much Ado About Nothing - I will see this because Joss Whedon directed it; no reaction.

Before Midnight - finally, some talking from the crowd. Nice trailer; makes you want to watch the other Before films.

THE FILM:

For a change from the usual big-budget summer movies that usually are released around now, I wanted to see a light drama and At Any Price fit the bill. It's about the Whipple family that owns/manages a large number of cornfields across seven counties in Iowa and the father's struggle to keep everything together to preserve his legacy. Meanwhile, his favorite son is off hiking a mountain in South America and his other son, Dean, is a promising stock car racer with limited interest in the family business.

There are some minor pitfalls in the story, but At Any Price makes up for those immensely in the acting. I wouldn't characterize any particular performance as award-worthy except maybe for Dennis Quaid. He is stronger in this role than any I've seen him star in lately. Zac Efron continues to demonstrate potential, selecting roles against type and raising the bar every time. Kim Dickens, Maika Monroe, and Heather Graham all have comparatively little screen time, but they're all fantastic supporting characters that complement the stars very well. The direction was great, but I felt during a few scenes that certain scenes were drawing a little too long (if you see the movie, you'll know which couple scenes I'm talking about).

Overall, I thought this was a nice movie. It's not exactly predictable what happens, and there are several events that play out and you're never really sure where the story will go next. Unfortunately, this was a very weak crowd that was hard to get a read on, but my friend and I enjoyed talking about At Any Price when it was over and agreed it was time well spent.

Experience - 16/30

Story/Writing - 15/20

Acting - 14/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 10/15 (it only loses points here for not cutting some shots shorter)

Directing - 9/10

Music - 8/10

THE VERDICT: 72/100, B

• Like 1

I was looking at that poster going "Is that Effron?? Wow it is, he looks older now"

Of course I know who Quaid is ;) And I like him in most of his roles, though didn't like Day After Tomorrow.

Don't take it personally--I'm interested in seeing Fast & Furious 6, but would prefer to watch it only after I've seen 4 and 5 first. Also, I'm on vacation visiting family/friends in South Florida, and nobody down here has been interested in going to see Fast 6. But you know me...

You haven't seen 4 and 5 yet? :o

Oh, dear.

:lol:

Edited by Jay Beezy

Posted Image

The Iceman

4:50PM Tuesday, May 28th

Muvico Cinemark Palace 20

Theater Capacity: 120 (6% full)

Cost: $7.50

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

Much Ado About Nothing - cool trailer, no reaction.

The Kings of Summer - this looks very funny; the guy in front of me said "Seems interesting." Good reaction from crowd.

Bling Ring - cool trailer, again no reaction.

Before Midnight - funny trailer; silence.

The East - such an awesome teaser trailer! No reaction from crowd... just yours truly.

What Maise Knew - looks compelling, got some talking afterwards too.

THE FILM:

This was another case of me going into a film knowing nothing about it ahead of time except that it was playing at the theater the same time I was in the mood to watch a movie. It turns out The Iceman is based on the true story of Richard Kuklinski, a contract hit man (a.k.a. serial killer) from New Jersey between the 1960's and 1980's. I feel like its theatrical release has really been kept under the radar, but this is honestly one of the best mob genre films I can remember from recent years and should be watched by more people, especially because it's based on a true story.

Michael Shannon plays the lead role and is fantastic. He is fearless when it comes to playing unexpectedly dark performances and does an exceptional job at frightening the audience with his portrayal of a contract killer. Supporting roles played by Winona Ryder as his clueless wife, Ray Liotta as a mafia boss, and Chris "Captain America" Evans as an accomplice of sorts are equally excellent... especially Chris Evans. Every time I see him do something more amazing in his most recent pictures, I'm reminded of how far he's come since sporting a whipped cream bathing suit in his very first film, Not Another Teen Movie. As if these actors aren't great, there's even a few additional cameos/supporting characters that come out of nowhere and are good fun to see.

The direction was spot on; the use of music reminded me a little bit of The Dark Knight (very good implementation of shock or suspenseful noises during kills); very believable make-up and effects were visible for all of the on-screen murders; and the story runs very briskly. The only downside from this screening was that there weren't more people to share it with in the theater. Usually I've found it's really fun to watch a suspense or thriller type movie with a big audience because their spontaneous reactions enhance the experience for everyone. Nevertheless, this is a very, very, very good movie and one I recommend very highly to people looking for a dark crime movie this summer.

Experience - 20/30

Story/Writing - 20/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 15/15

Direction - 10/10

Music - 10/10

THE VERDICT: 90/100, A

Comments and feedback are always appreciated.

• Like 1

God I haven't done a crowd report in so long. Being broke sucks haha:Star Trek: Into DarknessTuesday 6:45pmSmall to mid-size theaterAudience skewed older.Trailers:World War Z decent reactionThe Internship laughs best reactionLone Ranger few murmursI was shocked we didn't get a MoS trailer and I really wanted one grrr.The movie: I don't know if my expectations were too high for this or what, but I was disappointed in the film. And contrary to what most think on here even though Cumberbatch pulled off a great villain I prefer Nero much more. There were also a few moments where I just shook my head at how impossible the scene actually was. I guess that's my overall problem with it: It didn't pull me in and then take me for a ride I was just watching the ride go by. I may need to watch this again, but for now...Grade: BThis film should have great legs though as older audiences don't rush to see it right away. This film has lost the youth that the first one had though and that's why it won't hit the predecessors gross even with 3D.

A late report on a film that's been out a while but I saw The Great Gatsby at a cinema in north London on Saturday evening. The crowd was mixed and the cinema was 90% full. I was with two other people.About 20 minutes into the screening 2 older couples walked out and didn't return. I'm guessing they didn't take to the Baz interpretation of a classic book. They had a 'we've had enough of this, thank you' look on their faces as they left.I've read the book and enjoyed the film hugely but I can understand why some fans of the book might be turned off. The spectacle and soundtrack that I liked so much could easily be jarring for those looking for a more faithful adaptation.What did not work for me, however, was the tone of the film and therefore Gatsby himself. Slapstick comedy/melodrama/morality tale/love story - the film couldn't decide what it wanted to be.One of my companions liked it, the other thought it was 'sh!t'. However we all agreed Leo is a 'true movie star'. He did a great job with an unevenly written role. And I had forgotten how well he plays romantic hero. His longing for Daisy in several scenes was a sight to behold.As for Carey Mulligan - the guy who thought the film was shite also charmingly declared her as looking 'like a piglet'! I can't go that far but much as I like her as an actress, I think she did not look the part at all. And that's important in this film because it is so much about the look. She doesn't have the delicate beauty needed for this iconic role and she looked out of place. I was reminded of Katherine Hepburn being turned down for Gone with the wind 'because Rhett Butler wouldn't wait 10 years for you'.I couldn't buy that Gatsby would do all that for Carey.Otherwise I thought the casting worked.

Edited by All about Eve
  • Like 1

Well since Fast 6 is out the trailer I've seen the most for upcoming films would be Lone Ranger. (Which always gets laughs at that same moment at the ending of it)

While I've seen quite a few tv spots for Monsters 2.

Just got back from my double feature.

First movie was Now You See Me. 7:00 showing, 225 (roughly) seat auditorium, 100% full. The latecomers were stuck getting single seats in the first 2 rows.

I barely remember the trailers, I only recall Catching Fire and The Mortal Instruments (new trailer, leaps and bounds better than the last one, it almost looks watchable).

The crowd seemed to like the movie, although a few people seemed a bit confused after it ended, not sure why since I thought they did a decent job explaining how things were done throughout the movie.

======================================================================================

======================================================================================

2nd movie

American Mary, 9:45 show. 200+ seat auditorium, between 90% and 95% full.

The size of the crowd really surprised me, I thought maybe 50-60 people would show up for this, but they turned out in droves. I heard a few girls behind me talking and they mentioned they had been looking forward to seeing this for a year.

There were 3 trailers, but I only remember 2

No One Lives- I'll be seeing this one, it will have a showing here in 3 weeks

Hatchet 3- Never even heard of the first 2, it looks like standard straight to DVD stuff

I wasn't sure what to expect from this movie, but it was less bloody than I thought it would be. The lead actress (Katharine Isabelle. A local actress and a favorite of mine) was quite good, some of the supporting actors were a bit weak, but that's normal for low budget movies.

I am actually surprised how much I liked it, I tend to like a wide range of movies, but this looked like it might be a bit too out there even for me.

This was a good crowd for this movie and they clearly loved it, lots of applause at the end. This was clearly the target audience, they were more , umm, diverse than normal crowds. Lots of ink, piercings and wild hair styles and colors. Not the entire audience by any means, but quite a few of them.

This has me interested in checking out other Sinister Cinema movies now.

• Like 1

Now You See Me

June 1, 7:35 PM, 80% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers (no reaction; audience kinda sucked here)

The Lone Ranger

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones - This looks terrible

Red 2

I enjoyed it. Audience, though large, wasn't getting into it. There were laughs and gasps at the twist, but besides that nothing. Well, there was an awkwardly late one person applauding halfway through the credits, but I don't count that. :P

People rarely clap at movies.

I only remember people clapping at the end of TA, Avatar, TDK, TF1, ROTK, Spider Man (likely others cant remember) 

Pretty much speaks volumes really, those films (yes I know TF1) were easily the most well loved blockbusters of modern times by audiences. 

• Like 1

The best audience reaction I've ever seen in a movie is hands down ROTK.

Now quite a few movies I hear clapping at the end. Trailers now, usually only comedies get reactions or comical scenes. Someone said back in 2011 they couldn't believe Super 8 was the only trailer at Thor with no reaction. Well it is quite simple, the movie was not a comedy and was not a franchise or anything like that so of course there was going to be no reaction.

Then there are cases where people think the trailer is for something else.

Like when there was this trailer for this January film called "The Relic" I hear in the audience people going "Jurassic Park 2!!!"I guess they didn't notice at the start of the trailer the R rating :P