charlie Jatinder

Tuesday (7/9) Numbers

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

i would advice you to not believe everything you read, we will see how much truth  is lying with all this REPORTS

REPORTEDLY - does not = believe it be an actual fact. 

If it hits $1B we'll never know if this exact clause existed or id Rothman would have exercised it unless Feige or Rothman mentions it. 

But there were milestone clauses in the contract, numbers the film had to reach for the deal to continue and bonuses to Disney if it reached certain numbers.  This was reported in The Trades back in 2015.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Never heard of this guy..hard to believe THR, Deadline or Variety wouldn't report something like this...plus this option makes absolutely no sense.

http://www.richardrushfield.com/about/

Milestones make perfect sense in a contract like this.  $1B though is a pretty damn huge one  especially coming off a series that barely broke $700m on their latest and was in a domestic and WW downward trend.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

REPORTEDLY - does not = believe it be an actual fact. 

If it hits $1B we'll never know if this exact clause existed or id Rothman would have exercised it unless Feige or Rothman mentions it. 

But there were milestone clauses in the contract, numbers the film had to reach for the deal to continue and bonuses to Disney if it reached certain numbers.  This was reported in The Trades back in 2015.

i edited

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

http://www.richardrushfield.com/about/

Milestones make perfect sense in a contract like this.  $1B though is a pretty damn huge one  especially coming off a series that barely broke $700m on their latest and was in a domestic and WW downward trend.

I wasn't doubting the milestone clause so I totally agree with you with the rest.

21 minutes ago, john2000 said:

their goal is to make sure that every movie is good, not that every movie makes 1 billion

I'm a big Marvel Studios fan and am happy they make quality films...but trust me, they would rather every movie make a billion, good or not.

10 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

I'm a big Marvel Studios fan and am happy they make quality films...but trust me, they would rather every movie make a billion, good or not.

again i said what their goal is, not what they would prefer

Edited by john2000
  • ...wtf 1

29 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Never heard of this guy..hard to believe THR, Deadline or Variety wouldn't report something like this...plus this option makes absolutely no sense.

That article is news to me. What was reported months ago was that the deal with Sony and Disney over Spider-Man expired after this movie. There was speculation that Sony may not renew the deal. This article makes it sound like if certain milestones are reached, then the deal automatically renews for at least a little longer. That’s the first time that I am hearing about that clause, but it is certainly believable.

• Like 1

I realize this is kinda random as hell, but I was thinking about where EG would fit in first run admissions and I just wondered how come no one ever brings up the Sound of Music as having the biggest first run admissions over something like Titanic? From what BOM shows, it really only had one release. Or was it more of a GWTW sort of thing where it kept getting re-released/expanded for years?

Edited by MovieMan89

The Sound of Music had re-releases. I believe there was one in the early 70s. They’re just not split out by Box Office Mojo. So we don’t know how much it originally grossed, and BOM may be overinflating the total based on assuming too much of the gross was in the original run - Jaws and The Exorcist and others may have this problem too. I bet Titanic probably still has the edge over it in first-run admissions, though it also has 30 years of population growth and being in the middle of a theatrical market boom on its side. 

(Also, I’ve read that between the initial roadshow engagements and the subsequent general release, The Sound of Music’s “first run” lasted for four years. Somewhere I read Fox did not withdraw all prints until 1969. That’s insane.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I realize this is kinda random as hell, but I was thinking about where EG would fit in first run admissions and I just wondered how come no one ever brings up the Sound of Music as having the biggest first run admissions over something like Titanic? From what BOM shows, it really only had one release. Or was it more of a GWTW sort of thing where it kept getting re-released/expanded for years?

BoM release data is not accurate.

Movies across world had re-releases/staggered released till 80s, anything before that, having no re-releases ain't true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

That article is news to me. What was reported months ago was that the deal with Sony and Disney over Spider-Man expired after this movie. There was speculation that Sony may not renew the deal. This article makes it sound like if certain milestones are reached, then the deal automatically renews for at least a little longer. That’s the first time that I am hearing about that clause, but it is certainly believable.

There have been conflicting reports but many have reported that the deal is for 6 movies. Holland himself said so. IF true, then there is one more Spiderman movie after this. This article also makes clear that the deal is for 6 movies. 

Afterall a trilogy make more sense for Marvel rather than just making 2 solo movies. And Marvel would not have given the movie the ending that they gave it if this was to be the last movie. 

Regardless we will know soon, probably at SDCC or D23 where hopefully Marvel unveils their slate for the next few years. 

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

BoM release data is not accurate.

Movies across world had re-releases/staggered released till 80s, anything before that, having no re-releases ain't true.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I wish there was some way to know true first run admissions for everything. 

19 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

The Sound of Music had re-releases. I believe there was one in the early 70s. They’re just not split out by Box Office Mojo. So we don’t know how much it originally grossed, and BOM may be overinflating the total based on assuming too much of the gross was in the original run - Jaws and The Exorcist and others may have this problem too. I bet Titanic probably still has the edge over it in first-run admissions, though it also has 30 years of population growth and being in the middle of a theatrical market boom on its side. 

(Also, I’ve read that between the initial roadshow engagements and the subsequent general release, The Sound of Music’s “first run” lasted for four years. Somewhere I read Fox did not withdraw all prints until 1969. That’s insane.)

Woah, that's insane for Sound of Music. I didn't know they still did that stuff in the 60's. Sounds very much like a GWTW situation.  

Fuck re-releases. All Times Lists should keep only original grosses. No shame in that. Different eras made different money. 100M was 2 billie once upon a time. make lists per era or whatever if putting them together isn't fair. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Well... Rothman. 

It's reportedly only an option if SM:FFH fails to make $1b WW.  That's not happening unless Sony pulls it out of theaters next week.

Do Sony Japan still favour Playstation more heavily than they do Sony Pictures? I wonder how much leverage Marvel have over the deal given the Spiderman PS4 exclusivity.

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Fuck re-releases. All Times Lists should keep only original grosses. No shame in that. Different eras made different money. 100M was 2 billie once upon a time. make lists per era or whatever if putting them together isn't fair. 

Movies used to make a good percentage of their money through re-releases. Cinema was a place where one could go to see old movies consistently. Home Video Rental and  TV helped changed that.

• Like 1