charlie Jatinder

Tuesday (7/9) Numbers

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

Do Sony Japan still favour Playstation more heavily than they do Sony Pictures? I wonder how much leverage Marvel have over the deal given the Spiderman PS4 exclusivity.

PlayStation is run almost entirely by Sony’s American branch nowadays. They have a hole in the wall office in Tokyo.

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

Movies used to make a good percentage of their money through re-releases. Cinema was a place where one could go to see old movies consistently. Home Video Rental and  TV helped changed that.

yes that's why I think first-run gross counts more. A movie that won its year or even became #1 of all time from the first run does not need re-release grosses to prove its historical accomplishment. And comparing movies from different eras is never going to work anyway. Whether Avatar or EG is #1 WW is not gonna take anything away from past #1 from decades ago. They had their time. Insistence that no movie ever beat GWTW cause inflation rheee is just inaccurate to me.

Edited by Valonqar

Yeah, the Sound of Music stuff is crazy. I know my grandparents saw it in 69 or 70 as it was "still" in release but it was so different back then. And multi-year patterns weren't unusual especially for musicals and roadshow style releases either. 

I dont recall the year but I seem to remember reading that it didnt hit 100m until the early 70s, but that it continued making solid money. Of that I could be wrong but the current total we have for it has been static since the late 80s or so. And released still as I have seen it twice in theaters since 2010. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AJG said:

Do Sony Japan still favour Playstation more heavily than they do Sony Pictures? I wonder how much leverage Marvel have over the deal given the Spiderman PS4 exclusivity.

They most definitely value their Playstation branch over Sony Pictures and I think that's one of the biggest reasons Sony is being so tight with Spidey.

• Like 1

Didn’t the Sony Corp. executives order SPE and Amy Pascal to restart negotiations with Marvel, after the email hack debacle exposed the previous failed discussions in all their sandwich-throwing glory? Or is that just how various rumors and separate events have been conflated in the retelling?

Edited by TServo2049

Film Distributor 3-Day Weekend Forecast Projected Domestic Total through Sunday, July 14 % Change from Last Wknd
Spider-Man: Far From Home Sony / Columbia $48,400,000 $278,400,000 -48%
Toy Story 4 Disney / Pixar $21,800,000 $346,700,000 -36%
Stuber Fox $11,900,000 $11,900,000 NEW
Crawl Paramount $10,500,000 $10,500,000 NEW
Yesterday Universal $6,800,000 $48,300,000 -32%
Aladdin (2019) Disney $5,400,000 $330,600,000 -28%
Annabelle Comes Home Warner Bros. / New Line $5,300,000 $60,200,000 -44%
Midsommar A24 $3,400,000 $18,000,000 -48%
The Secret Life of Pets 2 Universal / Illumination $3,300,000 $147,100,000 -29%
Men In Black International Sony / Columbia $2,100,000 $76,300,000 -44%
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

They most definitely value their Playstation branch over Sony Pictures and I think that's one of the biggest reasons Sony is being so tight with Spidey.

Thats the thing. Sony have no ownership over the SpiderMan game, they just publish it. Unless Marvel signed off on all SpiderMan games only getting published through Sony exclusively (which I doubt), then what’s stopping future games from heading off to Xbox?

15 minutes ago, AJG said:

Thats the thing. Sony have no ownership over the SpiderMan game, they just publish it. Unless Marvel signed off on all SpiderMan games only getting published through Sony exclusively (which I doubt), then what’s stopping future games from heading off to Xbox?

Maybe the fact they would sell less than 1/5 of what they would on Playstation?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AJG said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-15-spider-man-leads-marvels-epic-new-console-strategy

"We've had a long history of success with Activision, and we still have a great relationship with them," Ong said. "But the future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac. We're delighted about this partnership, and that's something that's going to continue forward. With [regard to] other console partners, stay tuned. There's many more interesting additional things to come. But Activision is in the past, with regards to Spider-Man."

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
1 (1) Spider-Man: Far From Home Sony Pictures $15,175,000 +40% 4,634 $3,275   $211,115,027 8
- (3) Annabelle Comes Home Warner Bros. $1,800,000 +41% 3,613 $498   $52,917,685 14
- (8) Men in Black: International Sony Pictures $715,000 +53% 2,716 $263   $73,320,351 26
- (10) Rocketman Paramount Pictures $386,947 +41% 1,409 $275   $89,677,058 40
- (-) Pavarotti CBS Films $70,021 +19% 250 $280   $3,100,514 33
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, The Gotham Bank said:

Maybe the fact they would sell less than 1/5 of what they would on Playstation?

Wouldn’t there be higher sales on PS and Xbox combined than just one console?

37 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Meh. Wasn’t “the future of Tomb Raider” exclusively on Xbox for a couple of months before they gave a statement saying it wasn’t?

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Wouldn’t there be higher sales on PS and Xbox combined than just one console?

Meh. Wasn’t “the future of Tomb Raider” exclusively on Xbox for a couple of months before they gave a statement saying it wasn’t?

I've never heard that before.