grim22

BOT Retrospective - Top 25 Movies of 1999. Deadline July 31. PM your lists to me.

Reading this book and 1999 is definitely up there in terms of a really good movie year

40538583._UY2113_SS2113_.jpg

As part of the 20th anniversary of the Summer of 1999, I think its time for a revisit.

Pretty simple rules, send me your top movies of 1999, I will collate them and reveal the Top 25. July 31 midnight seems like a decent deadline since my guess is that the members on this board would have seen a lot of the best movies of the year anyway so 3 weeks seems plenty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Copying tags from @Tower

@WrathOfHan @Jason @DAR @Brainbug @matrixdmath5 @Daxtreme @4815162342 @Jake Gittes @Pandamia! @filmlover @Morieris  @Slambros @Rorschach @Blankments @CoolioD1 @aabattery @MrPink @grim22 @Ethan Hunt @Porthos @Spagheditary @DeeCee @Wrath @Jandrew @Cmasterclay @Kalo @AndyLL @Jayhawk @Jay Hollywood @franfar @Water Bottle @Chewy @#ED @Empire @Fancyarcher  @kayumanggi @Sam @The Futurist @Noctis @redfirebird2008 @RichWS @ddddeeee @K1stpierre @Ozymandias @a2k @The Stingray @Lordmandeep @MovieMan89 @Claire of Themyscira @tribefan695 @DAJK @Gopher @ElastiRoc @chasmmi @JJ-8 @Spidey Freak @YourMother the Edgelord @Arlborn @Nova @RobrtmanAStarWarsReference @cookie @grey ghost @lilmac @Jack Nevada @James @RandomCat @ChipMunky @elcaballero @MCKillswitch123 @angeldelmito @CaptainJackSparrow @Captain Craig  @cannastop @75Live @Goffe @Tower @Napoleon @rukaio101 @Michael Gary Scott @POTUS @darkelf @ChD @ShouldIBeHere @SchumacherFTW @Eevin @Alpha @Mattrek @AJG @Webslinger @Kalderic @boomboom234 @vc2002 @Valonqar @Mulder @Blaze Heatnix @Shawn @sfran43 @Biggestgeekever @Thanos Legion @MrGlass2 @cax16 @Darth Lehnsherr @TLK @ACSlater @trifle @Exxdee @misafeco @Barnack @Ithil @StevenG @Finnick @Rebeccas @FantasticBeasts @CoolEric258 @Sheikh @Boxofficerules @KeepItU25071906 @LonePirate @titanic2187 @Olive @ZeeSoh @Jim Shorts @Mekanos @raulbalarezo @The Fast and the Furiosa @m3racer123 @That One Guy @SchumacherFTW 

@Telemachos@reddevil19 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Note the lack of Jim Gang in the tag - hardly surprising the bigots have made clear how they view us. @IronJimbo @NCsoft @dashrendar44 @Pure Spirit

I'm really looking forward @StevenG 's 1999 retrospective list that will certainly be more valuable and thoroughly researched than any of ours.

2Reqixb.png

Zg9tlRC.png

When you'd rather tag in permanently suspended members to vote rather than let any Jim Gang's members vote. I almost expected outstanding members of BOT community like @BKB, @Algren, @GiantCalBears and @Shivampa to be included over any of us as well:hahaha:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

@grim22

Does Princess Mononoke count as 1997 or 1999?

I believe it was eligible for the 1997 so not 1999.  But I can't find the 1997 countdown list in the Speakeasy. 

Edit: Found it in the archives.  Mononoke was #8 on the 1997 list

Which brings me to a suggestion.  When doing these lists when done collecting info can you put a link to the Countdown at the end and a link back to the discussion in the Countdown topic?  (unless moving these lists into different forums break the links?)

Edited by TalismanRing

playing around with a list but mine will look something like this probably

1. Magnolia

2. The Talented Mr. Ripley

3. The Matrix

4. Election

5. Being John Malkovich

6. Eyes Wide Shut

7. The Blair Witch Project

8. The Iron Giant

9. The Insider

10. Things I Hate About You

11. Toy Story 2

12. Audition

13. South Park

14. Sleepy Hollow

15. Topsy Turvy 

and a few more to round it up to twenty that i'll figure out.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

There were so many good movies in 1999! My Top 3 are set in stone but the competition for the other 7 spots in the top are up for grabs by over a dozen films. This film be making an appearance on my list.

• Like 2

1. October Sky

2. The Insider

3. Tarzan

4. Magnolia

5. South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

6. Being John Malkovich

7. American Beauty

8. Toy Story 2

9. The Blair Witch Project

10. Galaxy Quest

11. The Straight Story

12. The Sixth Sense

13. The Iron Giant

14. Three Kings

15. Eyes Wide Shut

16. Election

17. 10 Things I Hate About You

18. Office Space

19. Boys Don’t Cry

20. The Matrix

21. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

22. The Mummy

23. Fight Club

24. The Green Mile

25. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

1. The Talented Mr. Ripley

2. Being John Malkovich

3. South Park - Bigger, Longer and Uncut

4. Bowfinger

5. Office Space

6. Go

7. The Thomas Crown Affair

8. Toy Story 2

9. The Sixth Sense

10. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

11. Galaxy Quest

12. American Pie

13. Lake Placid

14. American Beauty

15. Notting Hill

16. Trick

17. The Insider

18. Runaway Bride

19. Cruel Intentions

20. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

21. Get Real

22. Election

23. Topsy-Turvy

24. The Straight Story

25. Drop Dead Gorgeous

• Like 1

For some years, I start making my list and if I start getting discouraged at failing to find good movies, and it peters out in the single-digits, I don't even bother submitting it.

But 1999 won't be like that. Not only was it a heck of a good year for movies, it had movies that didn't measure up overall but had truly iconic individual scenes, like Deep Blue Sea when Samuel L Jackson is giving his big, inspirational "Its tough, but we'll work together and get out of this!" speech and right in the middle of it the shark jumps up out of nowhere and eats him.

It was a really fun year for movies.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

I don't know if it's just cause I'm the pretty age for Peak Nostalgia or 1999 was just a really good year.  It feels like something iconic came out each week.

THAT SAID.  There is a CLEAR #1

tumblr_ohwoc7unZn1vr5m5eo1_540.gif

tumblr_ohwoc7unZn1vr5m5eo2_540.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1999 had a great combination of films - thrillers, comedies, adventures, animation, drama. 

One of my favorites - and the kind of sexy fun adult movie not made or released much (if at all) any more.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

One FYC that I'd make for a choice is the movie Entrapment with Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones. A very fun heist movie with a thrilling climax.

Another FYC would be Run Lola Run because that got its US release in 1999!

@grim22 I have questions on two foreign films.

The Wind Will Carry Us by Abbas Kiarostami was screened at festivals in 1999 but didn't come to theaters in the US until July 2000. Would that still be eligible?

And Himalaya did come to theaters in the US in 1999, so that film would be eligible without question, right?

I ask because I found that both of these films are available on the streaming site Kanopy.

Edited by Slambros

Hey, I forgot that Bowfinger came out in 1999! The ending scene is one of my all-time favorite movie epilogues, and Eddie Murphy was robbed of a Best Supporting actor nomination.

Edited by Wrath