grim22

BOT Retrospective - Top 25 Movies of 1999. Deadline July 31. PM your lists to me.

1.Fight Club

2.Toy Story 2

3.The Matrix

4.Magnolia

5.Being John Malkovich

6.The Iron Giant

7.The Blair Witch Project

8.American Beauty

9.Run Lola Run

10.Eyes Wide Shut

11.The 6th sense

12.Cruel Intentions

13.The Insider

14.Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai

15.Ravenous

16.The Talented Mr. Ripley

17.Election

18.Sleepy Hollow

19.All about my mother

20.Notting Hill

21.South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

22.Limbo

23.Three Kings

24.10 Things I hate about you

25.The End of the Affair

Honorable mentions: Human Traffic, Man on the Moon, Stir of Echoes, The Road Home, The Limey, Tarzan, She's all that, Go, Office Space, The Mummy, Galaxy Quest omg, just scrolling through the year on letterboxd I got dizzy by how many good movies they were made in 1999.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:44 AM, Tower said:

I had to google who that is, and he seems to be a Youtube reviewer. I'm not sure why he would make a particular difference to this list, especially compared to the many reviewers on Youtube, some of whom are bigger than redlettermedia, like Jahns or Stuckmann.

Redlettermedia makes a difference because 1999 is the year of Phantom Menace. His elaborate and jokey reviews are famous for pointing out every single possible flaw and goof in, mainly, the Star Wars prequels. Many people I know credit him as being a key contributor to the prevalent opinion that the prequels are not in any way good. I think that's why it has been suggested that Redlettermedia may matter to the placement of films from 1999.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2019 at 4:19 AM, TalismanRing said:

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels - 1998 UK film but not released in the U.S until 1999.  Eligible?  @grim22

same w/ Boondock Saints showing up in European territories in 1999, but being released in 2000.

The Virgin Suicides was too a year in advance, not sure if it is a foreign language premier, maybe scenes are altered.

• Like 1

i'm guessing they'd all be eligible but i'd recommend them considering the top 30 (tallying up the top 30 in points) before declaring whatever it is ineligible.

i'm watching SLC Punk! again and it is a paaaarrrrtaaayyyyyy

Edited by 2010s Painkiller Race

On 7/17/2019 at 7:31 PM, LateReg said:

Redlettermedia makes a difference because 1999 is the year of Phantom Menace. His elaborate and jokey reviews are famous for pointing out every single possible flaw and goof in, mainly, the Star Wars prequels. Many people I know credit him as being a key contributor to the prevalent opinion that the prequels are not in any way good. I think that's why it has been suggested that Redlettermedia may matter to the placement of films from 1999.

The ”mein kampf” of the 00’s. Hate propaganda and the kind of dangerous criticism that insults a talented and gifted movie directors vision. In many ways he probably is the reason why we got the TFA trash grab

• Knock It Off 1

Jeez, a lot of people did not have to be told the prequels weren't good.   To quote my mom after walking out of The Phantom Menace.  "That's sucked . How could Star Wars be so boring? "   It's why we all skipped seeing the 2nd in theaters and only went to see the 3rd when reviews said it was so much better.  It was.  Marginally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Jeez, a lot of people did not have to be told the prequels weren't good.   To quote my mom after walking out of The Phantom Menace.  "That's sucked . How could Star Wars be so boring? "   It's why we all skipped seeing the 2nd in theaters and only went to see the 3rd when reviews said it was so much better.  It was.  Marginally.

Probably said the same thing bout blade runner and 2001

22 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Probably said the same thing bout blade runner and 2001

No, b/c those films are finely scripted, well acted and beautifully directed.  They were about more than nice looking visuals or sci-fi concepts.

Phantom Menace is an absolute slog.  The other two are better b/c they move faster - but the character development, dialogue and the acting from it's young leads is poor.  That's all on Lucas. 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

No, b/c those films are finely scripted, well acted and beautifully directed.  They were about more than nice looking visuals or sci-fi concepts.

Phantom Menace is an absolute slog.  The other two are better b/c they move faster - but the character development, dialogue and the acting from it's young leads is poor.  That's all on Lucas. 

Wow... lol

im mad at all of you!

watching The Corruptor that came out the same weekend i staked out The Rage: Carrie 2. 

The Corruptor is like The Matrix where they shoot up soo much you wonder why they aren't dodging bullets.  From The Corruptor to The Matrix.   It's like Phantom Menace, a testament to violence.  Droids, Clones, and missing laser shots. 

They really tightened up what they show in movies after this.  (inside of movies)

1999 films

1. Fight Club
  2. The Matrix
  3. Toy Story 2
  4. Man on the Moon
  5. Three Kings
  6. The Insider
  7. Sixth Sense
  8. The Iron Giant
  9. The Green Mile
  10. Tarzan
  11. 10 Things I Hate About You
  12. Office Space
  13. Election 
  14. Galaxy Quest
  15. Go
  16. Bowfinger
  17. Entrapment 
  18. Varsity Blues
  19. Fantasia 2000
  20. Sleepy Hollow 
  21. October Sky
  22. Phantom Menace 
  23. Girl Interrupted
  24. American Pie
  25. Big Daddy 
  • Like 1

re-watched Analyze This and dropped it a full letter grade out of boredom

Star Wars                          26-The Blair Witch Project - 88        51-Drive Me Crazy - 83

The Matrix                         27-South Park - 88                     52-Jawbreaker-83

Fight Club - 98                          28-House of Haunted Hill - 86        53-Teaching Mrs. Tingle - 83

The Mummy - 94                29-Payback - 86                         54-Bats - 83

Sleepy Hallow - 94               30-Austin Powers 2 - 86                   55-In Dreams - 83

6 -World not Enough - 92   31-Entrapment - 86                    56-The Ninth Gate - 83

7 -Virus - 92                        32-The Talented Mr. Ripley - 86      57-Arlington Road - 83

8 -Universal Soldier 2 - 92   33-The Thomas Crown Affair - 86  58-Stir of Echoes - 83

9 -End of Days - 92           34-The General's Daughter - 86     59-Brokedown Palace - 83

10-The Haunting - 92          35-She's All That - 86                  60-Deuce Bigalow - 83

11-The Messenger - 90       36-The Green Mile - 86                      61-Big Daddy - 81

12-Stigmata - 90                 37-October Sky - 86                    62-The Bone Collector - 81

13-The 13th Warrior - 90    38-Dogma - 85                                  63-Double Jeopardy - 81

14-Galaxy Quest - 90          39-Anywhere But Here - 85       64-For Love of the Game - 80

15-Office Space - 90            40-Chill Factor - 85                            65-Mystery, Alaska - 80

16-Lake Placid - 90              41-Varsity Blues - 85                   66-But I'm a Cheerleader - 80

17-American Beauty - 90     42-Election - 84                                67-The Iron Giant - 80

18-Drop Dead Gorgeous - 90   43-SLC Punk! - 84             68-The Hurricane - 79

19-Any Given Sunday - 90    44-eXistenZ - 84                         69-Summer of Sam - 79

20-10 Things I Hate About You - 90   45-Ravenous - 83       70-Wild Wild West - 78

21-The Sixth Sense - 89         46-The Rage: Carrie 2 - 83               71-Tarzan - 78

22-Dick - 88                        47-The Virgin Suicides - 83        72-Trippin' - 78

23-Girl, Interrupted - 88        48-Wing Commander - 83             73-Cruel Intentions - 77

24-American Pie - 88             49-Idle Hands - 83                     74-Deep Blue Sea - 77

25-Three Kings - 88            50-8MM - 83                                    75-Analyze This - 77

76-Black Mask - 77

77-The Corrupter - 77

78-Blast from the Past - 77

79-The Astronaut's Wife - 75

80-Blue Streak - 74

81-Instinct - 74

82-Superstar - 73

83-Life - 73

84-At First Sight - 73

85-The Omega Code - 71

86-My Favorite Martian - 70

87-Baby Geniuses - 70

88-Gloria - 70

89-Inspector Gadget - 70

90-Bowfinger - 67

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UMYZ57zPDE

the order i want to see the rest of these:

The 13th Floor

Mystery Men

The Insider

Magnolia

Eyes Wide Shut

Man on the Moon

Bicentennial Man

Cider House Rules

Boy's Don't Cry

Being John Malkovich

All About My Mother

Bringing Out the Dead

Titus

Light It Up

In Too Deep

Flawless

Music of the Heart

Ghost Dog

Detroit Rock City

Pushing Tin

Tumbleweeds

Jakob the Liar

The Other Sister

The Limey

Topsy Turvy

The Story of Us

Random Hearts

The Deep End of the Ocean

Mickey Blue Eyes

Go

The Mod Squad

EDtv

Anna and the King

200 Cigarettes

The Out of Towners

Tea With Mussolini

Cradle Will Rock

Forces of Nature

Never Been Kissed

Toy Story 2

Message in a Bottle

The End of the Affair

Runaway Bride

Notting Hill

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Outside Providence

Stuart Little

The Straight Story

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

The Boondock Saints

it's like at the end of Lady in the Water when they are waiting for the hawk to fly away

Edited by 2010s Painkiller Race