grim22

BOT Retrospective - Top 25 Movies of 1999. Deadline July 31. PM your lists to me.

25: Magnolia

24: Go

23: Blair Witch Project

22: 10 Things I Hate About You

21: Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

20: The Talented Mr. Ripley

19: Eyes Wide Shut

18: Bringing Out the Dead

17: Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

16: Boys Don’t Cry

15: Three Kings

14: The Sixth Sense

13: Bowfinger

12: Galaxy Quest

11: The Insider 

10: Perfect Blue

9: The Straight Story

8: The Limey

7: Being John Malkovich

6: Toy Story 2

5: Fight Club

4: Princess Mononoke

3: Election

2: The Matrix

1: The Iron Giant

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1. The Iron Giant
  2. Toy Story 2
  3. The Thomas Crown Affair
  4. The Sixth Sense
  5. Princess Mononoke
  6. Being John Malkovich
  7. Perfect Blue
  8. Felicia's Journey
  9. The Straight Story
  10. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
  11. Topsy Turvy
  12. Fight Club
  13. Tarzan
  14. The Insider
  15. The World is Not Enough
  16. The Mummy
  17. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
  18. The Talented Mr Ripley
  19. Galaxy Quest
  20. Austin Powers
  21. Election
  22. An Ideal Husband
  23. Fantasia 2000
  24. The Matrix
  25. Sleepy Hollow
Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

17 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

oh wow that's right.... Perfect Blue was released in America in 1999! Revising my list now...

I am very happy and thankful to have gained this information. 

• Like 1

these lists are horrible.  Iron Giant at #1?  How was it that good?

no point in revisiting 1989 movies since they reflect the worse in what we experience everyday with those suffocating sex comedies and people doing the barn dance, and people ignoring things that are actually important

I got the sense you weren't a fan when I looked at your very long list (100+ movies for a 25 movies list) and noted The Iron Giant wasn't ANYWHERE on it.... but I also didn't feel the need to call your excessive list out as "horrible" and demand you justify your personal tastes, either... It's just a poll thread for about 20 people on a box-office message board... I guess it could be worse, you could be using multiple alt-accounts to cheat (all due respect to the goony Cameron stooges here and abroad) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I got the sense you weren't a fan when I looked at your very long list (100+ movies for a 25 movies list) and noted The Iron Giant wasn't ANYWHERE on it.... but I also didn't feel the need to call your excessive list out as "horrible" and demand you justify your personal tastes, either... It's just a poll thread for about 20 people on a box-office message board... I guess it could be worse, you could be using multiple alt-accounts to cheat (all due respect to the goony Cameron stooges here and abroad) 

I got the Iron Giant on there in a respectable and tidy position right below Mystery, Alaska and But I'm a Cheerleader at #67 with a B-.  (in a stack of 90-100 movies)

I have watched tons of movies these last 2 weeks, I don't see how Iron Giant makes it on top, if one is switching from movie to movie, and competing with them!

My list is the best one out there, it is for the eX-files.  I'd define my personal tastes by getting a separation or restraining order from people who treasure those films.

The Iron Giant love depresses me soo much I might get a sex change to turn into Jennifer Lawrence

Edited by 2010s Painkiller Race
  • Astonished 1

So I've begun catching up on 1999 films for the list, and I've begun watching the foreign film Himalaya on Kanopy. It's not real exciting, but it's a fascinating window into a different culture. There's a lot of striking imagery in the film. I definitely recommend Himalaya to anyone who has access to Kanopy and needs a few more films to curate a list with.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 2010s Painkiller Race said:

The Iron Giant love depresses me soo much I might get a sex change to turn into Jennifer Lawrence

Uh, ok.

Edit - Finally got around to working on my list. Damn, 1999 was a good year for movies. I'm slightly disappointed, as I thought Run Lola Run was a 1999 movie as well (for some reason, I thought it and Go had come out the same year. Nope. 1998 for Run Lola Run), but its just as well. Way more than 25 movies anyway. Pity Franka Potente didn't end up as a bigger star, though she has had a pretty good career so far.

Edited by Wrath

4 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Uh, ok.

Edit - Finally got around to working on my list. Damn, 1999 was a good year for movies. I'm slightly disappointed, as I thought Run Lola Run was a 1999 movie as well (for some reason, I thought it and Go had come out the same year. Nope. 1998 for Run Lola Run), but its just as well. Way more than 25 movies anyway.

You're in luck: Run Lola Run is being counted. Its domestic theatrical release was in June 1999.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

You're in luck: Run Lola Run is being counted. Its domestic theatrical release was in June 1999.

It was? Nice! I'm not crazy after all! Well, at least this isn't clear proof of it.

• Like 1