grim22

BOT Retrospective - Top 25 Movies of 1999. Deadline July 31. PM your lists to me.

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

oh i forgot boy don't cry for my list. i haven't watched it in so long though, i have wondered if it actually holds up.

I just watched it a few hours ago for this list. It's definitely a "fair for its day" case, but I thought the conviction Swank and Peirce brought to it carried it through some of the more problematic implications a good many of us would call it out for today.

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

I just watched it a few hours ago for this list. It's definitely a "fair for its day" case, but I thought the conviction Swank and Peirce brought to it carried it through some of the more problematic implications a good many of us would call it out for today.

Well, it is a ripped from the headlines story. And they did cast a cis person for a trans role.

Spoiler

And the LGBT lead dies, so yeah.

One day to go. Ignore tag if already submitted

@WrathOfHan @Jason @DAR @Brainbug @matrixdmath5 @Daxtreme @4815162342 @Jake Gittes @Pandamia! @filmlover @Morieris  @Slambros @Rorschach @Blankments @CoolioD1 @aabattery @MrPink @grim22 @Ethan Hunt @Porthos @Spagheditary @DeeCee @Wrath @Jandrew @Cmasterclay @Kalo @AndyLL @Jayhawk @Jay Hollywood @franfar @Water Bottle @Chewy @#ED @Empire @Fancyarcher  @kayumanggi @Sam @The Futurist @Noctis @redfirebird2008 @RichWS @ddddeeee @K1stpierre @Ozymandias @a2k @The Stingray @Lordmandeep @MovieMan89 @Claire of Themyscira @tribefan695 @DAJK @Gopher @ElastiRoc @chasmmi @JJ-8 @Spidey Freak @YourMother the Edgelord @Arlborn @Nova @RobrtmanAStarWarsReference @cookie @grey ghost @lilmac @Jack Nevada @James @RandomCat @ChipMunky @elcaballero @MCKillswitch123 @angeldelmito @CaptainJackSparrow @Captain Craig  @cannastop @75Live @Goffe @Tower @Napoleon @rukaio101 @Michael Gary Scott @POTUS @darkelf @ChD @ShouldIBeHere @SchumacherFTW @Eevin @Alpha @Mattrek @AJG @Webslinger @Kalderic @boomboom234 @vc2002 @Valonqar @Mulder @Blaze Heatnix @Shawn @sfran43 @Biggestgeekever @Thanos Legion @MrGlass2 @cax16 @Darth Lehnsherr @TLK @ACSlater @trifle @Exxdee @misafeco @Barnack @Ithil @StevenG @Finnick @Rebeccas @FantasticBeasts @CoolEric258 @Sheikh @Boxofficerules @KeepItU25071906 @LonePirate @titanic2187 @Olive @ZeeSoh @Jim Shorts @Mekanos @raulbalarezo @The Fast and the Furiosa @m3racer123 @That One Guy @SchumacherFTW 

@Telemachos@reddevil19 

• Like 2

I didn't get to revisit as many of these as I'd have liked to, but something like this. (According to first festival/theatrical screenings, not US release dates)

1. Beau Travail

2. Eyes Wide Shut

3. Being John Malkovich

4. The Wind Will Carry Us

5. The Straight Story

6. Time Regained

7. Magnolia

8. Topsy Turvy

9. The Matrix

10. Rosetta

11. Fight Club

12. Three Kings

13. L'humanite

14. All About My Mother

15. Audition

16. Election

17. Toy Story 2

18. Ratcatcher

19. The Blair Witch Project

20. The Insider

21. Taboo

22. eXistenZ

23. The Limey

24. The Virgin Suicides

25. Bringing Out the Dead

Runners Up: Outer Space, The Iron Giant, Run Lola Run, American Movie, Ghost Dog, American Beauty, South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut, The Mission, Boys Don't Cry, Go, Pola X, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Sixth Sense, Dead or Alive

Further Personal Favorite: The Ninth Gate

I think the American Beauty debate is interesting. It hasn't held up as well as most other films because it seemed so fully formed in its time, especially when I was a freshman in college. I'm not gonna lie - I still think it's very good despite it not being a cool thing to like. But it doesn't hold a candle to the somewhat similar Magnolia, or precursors like Blue Velvet, and I think that's part of why the thrill of its newness faded fast. It's put together well and impresses on first viewing but it's not very deep or original in the final analysis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I honestly haven't seen enough 1999 movies to make a fair list. Would just be full of blockbusters 

I have seen a lot (excluding animated, horror, ~ romance), but wouldn't add even all of the blockbusters (in parts especially the blockbusters) on a top list of 1999, no matter if best quality or most loved/liked.

It feels so strange to see all the opposite sounding posts here.

• Like 1

My list is a bit embarrassingly short. I have not seen many films from 1999...

1. South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

2. Toy Story 2

3. Galaxy Quest

4. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

5. Notting Hill

huhhh I guess its usus to post also the lists here, not only to PM?

As said, its a most liked / best combi. Best would have been very short.

I didn't like Star Wars 1, movies like Notting Hill do not appeal to me at all, Blair Witch Project neither, and a lot of others whose story or genre or... do not click with me in general since some decades.

Can't stand Tom Cruise, I think he had more than one in that year, those I all refuse to watch (he is the only actor I recognise every time... by feeling literally a bit nauseatic/queasy)

Some movies like The Straight Story I sadly missed, not sure if it was shown in one of my countryside cinemas here... 

'My' 1999:

The 13th Warrior

Run Lola Run

Buena Vista Social Club

The Matrix

The Green Mile

Sixth Sense

The Insider

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

Boys Don't Cry

Galaxy Quest (one of the few comedy titles I like)

The Thomas Crown Affair

The World is Not Enough (that one is at the limit)

All what comes 'deeper' (I hope I've not missed a title) I'd not add to a best nor a liked list. To me it makes no sense to add for the count, if the title is seen as bad, annoying, boring or whatever.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

huhhh I guess its usus to post also the lists here, not only to PM?

As said, its a most liked / best combi. Best would have been very short.

I didn't like Star Wars 1, movies like Notting Hill do not appeal to me at all, Blair Witch Project neither, and a lot of others whose story or genre or... do not click with me in general since some decades.

Can't stand Tom Cruise, I think he had more than one in that year, those I all refuse to watch (he is the only actor I recognise every time... by feeling literally a bit nauseatic/queasy)

Some movies like The Straight Story I sadly missed, not sure if it was shown in one of my countryside cinemas here... 

'My' 1999:

The 13th Warrior

Run Lola Run

Buena Vista Social Club

The Matrix

The Green Mile

Sixth Sense

The Insider

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

Boys Don't Cry

Galaxy Quest (one of the few comedy titles I like)

The Thomas Crown Affair

The World is Not Enough (that one is at the limit)

All what comes 'deeper' (I hope I've not missed a title) I'd not add to a best nor a liked list. To me it makes no sense to add for the count, if the title is seen as bad, annoying, boring or whatever.

Yes, I only put films on list if I would actually like to see them end up doing well. The Matrix for instance I've seen it and think it's ok, but i don't like it enough to want to put it on here. Same for Thomas Crowne Affair.

And yeah Tom Cruise had Eyes Wide Shut and Magnolia. 

Edited by Avatree

3 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

@grim22 Sent a list via pm. Can you confrim if you got it. Thanks.

You can see at which time the PMed person opened your PM in your mailbox. Just in case you were not aware