grim22

BOT Retrospective - Top 25 Movies of 1999. Deadline July 31. PM your lists to me.

15 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

I'm guessing The Matrix will win by a landslide.

Unfortunately, I think you are on the money with that prediction. There are things to like about the film but I personally believe it is overrated. Still, once a week or so I encounter some variation of the red pill/blue pill spiel in a written article that has nothing to do with movies or games. It certainly had a deep cultural impact, even beyond increasing people's disappointment with TPM that followed a couple of months later.

45 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

I'm guessing The Matrix will win by a landslide.

Agreed. The circulation of articles reflecting on its impact, its re-release in various cinemas and Keanu's surge in popularity definitely boost the chances of it taking the top spot.

28 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Unfortunately, I think you are on the money with that prediction. There are things to like about the film but I personally believe it is overrated. Still, once a week or so I encounter some variation of the red pill/blue pill spiel in a written article that has nothing to do with movies or games. It certainly had a deep cultural impact, even beyond increasing people's disappointment with TPM that followed a couple of months later.

Yeah red pill blue pill has taken on unfortunate connotations.

I still am not 100% that it's The Matrix though.

Star Wars                          26-The Blair Witch Project - 88        51-The Virgin Suicides- 83

The Matrix                         27-South Park - 88                     52-Wing Commander-83

Fight Club - 98                         28-Eyes Wide Shut - 87                   53-Idle Hands - 83

The Mummy - 94               29-The Insider - 87                    54-8MM - 83

Sleepy Hallow - 94              30-10 Things I Hate About You - 87    55-Drive Me Crazy - 83

6 -World not Enough - 92   31-Entrapment - 86                    56-Jawbreaker - 83

7 -Virus - 92                        32-The Talented Mr. Ripley - 86      57-Teaching Mrs. Tingle - 83

8 -Universal Soldier 2 - 92   33-The Thomas Crown Affair - 86  58-Magnolia - 83

9 -End of Days - 92           34-Austin Powers 2 - 86                        59-Bats - 83

10-The Haunting - 92          35-House on Haunted Hill - 86    60-In Dreams - 83

11-The 13th Floor - 91       36-Payback - 86                              61-The 9th Gate - 83

12-The Messenger -  90       37-The General's Daughter - 86   62-Arlington Road - 83

13-Stigmata - 90                 38-She's All That - 86                      63-Stir of Echoes - 83

14-The 13th Warrior - 90    39-The Green Mile - 86               64-Deuce Bigalow - 83

15-Galaxy Quest - 90            40-October Sky - 86                       65-Brokedown Palace - 83

16-Office Space - 90              41-Dogma - 85                       66-Being John Malkovich - 83

17-Lake Placid - 90               42-Anywhere But Here - 85           67-Man on the Moon - 83

18-American Beauty - 90         43-Varsity Blues - 85              68-Cradle Will Rock - 83

19-Drop Dead Gorgeous - 90  44-Follwing - 85                          69-Big Daddy - 81

20-Any Given Sunday - 90       45-Chill Factor - 84                 70-The Bone Collector - 81

21-The Sixth Sense - 89         46-Election - 84                              71-Double Jeopardy - 81

22-Dick - 88                        47-eXistenZ - 84                        72-Analyze This - 81

23-Girl, Interrupted - 88        48-SLC Punk! - 84                           73-200 Cigarettes - 80

24-American Pie - 88             49-Ravenous - 83                     74-For Love of the Game - 80

25-Three Kings - 88            50-The Rage: Carrie 2 - 83                 75-Mystery, Alaska - 80

76-But I'm A Cheerleader - 80

77-The Iron Giant - 80

78-The Hurricane - 79

79-The Cider House Rules - 79

80-Summer of Sam - 79

81-Wild Wild West - 79

82-Boys Don't Cry - 79

83-Tarzan - 78

84-Trippin' - 77

85-Light it Up - 77

86-Cruel Intentions - 77

87-Deep Blue Sea - 77

88-Black Mask - 77

89-The Corruptor - 77

90-Blast From the Past - 75

91-The Astronaut's Wife - 75

92-Blue Streak - 73

93-Instinct - 73

94-Jakob the Liar - 71

95-At First Sight - 71

96-Superstar - 71

97-Life - 71

98-The Omega Code - 71

99-Bicentennial Man - 70

100-Anna and the King - 70

101-Gloria - 69

102-Baby Geniuses - 68

103-Pushing Tin - 68

104-My Favorite Martian - 67

105-The Story of Us - 67

106-Inspector Gadget - 67

107-Bowfinger - 65

108-Random Hearts - 64

109-The Mod Squad - 63

110 - The Limey - 60

111-The Out-of-Towners - 57

• Astonished 1

I would like to see the Matrix win, but I think it's coming in second.  I have a feeling the Pixar loonies will strike again.  

There are some really good films that I think people just haven't seen.  Arlington Road was Mark Pellington's first films and he made something I'll never forget.  Instinct was Jon Turtletaub's animal rights movie and it too is one I'll never forget.  I know neither will show up on the countdown, and that's a shame. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I would like to see the Matrix win, but I think it's coming in second.  I have a feeling the Pixar loonies will strike again.  

There are some really good films that I think people just haven't seen.  Arlington Road was Mark Pellington's first films and he made something I'll never forget.  Instinct was Jon Turtletaub's animal rights movie and it too is one I'll never forget.  I know neither will show up on the countdown, and that's a shame. 

It's funny, Arlington Road often comes up when people discuss the most shocking movie endings, but the film itself kind of falls by the wayside when it comes to the discourse surrounding 1999 films. It's a favorite among my parents though.

• Like 1

Just now, gadd said:

It's funny, Arlington Road often comes up when people discuss the most shocking movie endings, but the film itself kind of falls by the wayside when it comes to the discourse surrounding 1999 films. It's a favorite among my parents though.

The ending is what people remember it for, yes.  But the rest of the movie does such a great job of setting it all up.  Robbins and Cusack make for a really creepy couple, and me being conspiracy guy, I love how they set him up to be the guy who acted on his own.  Also, Pellington only had wo big Hollywood films and neither of them did well at the box office but both are in my top 100 films of all time.  Mothman fucking floored me.  It was so well done, in every way but especially from a directing standpoint.

• Like 2

the rest of the movies i want to see in descending order:

Mystery Men

Princess Mononoke

Run Lola Run

All About My Mother

Music of the Heart

Tumbleweeds

Bringing out the Dead

In too Deep

Go

Flawless