sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Spider-Man FFH $45.35M | Toy Story 4 $20.95M | CRAWL $12.01M | STUBER $8.23M | Yesterday $6.70M | Aladdin 6.17M

11 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Movies I saw this year:

Captain Marvel

Us

Shazam

Detective Pikachu

Avengers Endgame (twice)

Toy Story 4

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Broly

So yeah... half are Disney/produced by a Disney studio. And I'm planning to see Lion King, Skywalker, and It 2. I used to go to the movies a lot more but nowadays it just feels like every other weekend what comes out looks meh to me. I think I'm just more picky. I might still go see Aladdin though.

I see

5 Disney

3 Warner

1 Sony

1 Universal

1 Manga

Just now, cdsacken said:

Yesterday was fun but nowhere near as good as Bohemian Rhapsody. Not even close.

Success of Yesterday, Rocketman and BR ( a league of its own) shows that midbudget and lower movies are not dead. Also that there's audience for this type of music driven movie. 

• Like 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

Success of Yesterday, Rocketman and BR ( a league of its own) shows that midbudget and lower movies are not dead. Also that there's audience for this type of music driven movie. 

A Star Is Born as well. So I guess the lesson is, if you want a midbudget movie to thrive, make it about music.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Definitely. Gimme all of them. All of the music driven movies. I will watch all of them.

38 minutes ago, druv10 said:

No question in my mind it's getting the LD weekend expansion. Remember AEG won't require LD expansion anymore so only 2 candidates remain TS4 and Aladdin for it. 

Hope they both get expansion. AE already had its expansion.

1 hour ago, 75Live said:

yeah I saw Cap Marvel, Endgame and Aladdin.  I'll see Star Wars 9 but that's the only Disney stuff I plan to see this year.  Kind of wish I didn't see one of those in theaters, but hey, what can you do? :P

but yeah I saw Midsommar and Crawl just the past 4 days and other stuff, as well.  Can't wait until Hobbs and Shaw, It 2 and others

I've seen Endgame and Spidey (and technically Wreck It Ralph 2 at 2nd run, so I can give Disney 2 for 2019:)...

But in 1st run, I've also seen Kid Who Would Be King, Lego Movie 2, Wonder Park, Shazam, Detective Pikachu (and had Upside tickets and let them "go to waste" since spouse turned down the date b/c of the weather/timing, but I gave it the box office anyway:)...

This week, I'll be buying Atom tickets with the TMobile deal...if presales for future movies aren't possible, I'll probably be picking up Disney movie #3...but if they are, it seems my kids want Angry Birds 2, so I'd be buying those...if not, it's still a toss up between Aladdin and Toys 4, since Godzilla (the other choice in the running) is out of our Cinemark theaters - no one is voting for TLK:)...

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

11 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

A Star Is Born as well. So I guess the lesson is, if you want a midbudget movie to thrive, make it about music.

And that's a great train of thought. The genre is obviously profitable if they keep budget up to certain level (BR and ASIB exceptions nothwithstanding) and they don't need bigger budget for this genre. I remember that there was some big western bomb that had ridiculous budget for the genre. That's where they go wrong. You can't assign EG budget to everything. 

Movies I caught in a movie theater this year...

Aquaman

Green Book

Glass

Kid Who Would Be King

They Shall Not Grow Old

Lego Movie 2

Alita

Happy Death Day 2U

How To Train Your Dragon 3

Fighting With My Family

Greta

Captain Marvel

Captive State

Us

Apollo 11

Dumbo

Shazam!

Pet Sematary

Missing Link

Endgame

Intruder

Pika Pika

Wick 3

Aladdin

Booksmart

Godzilla King of the Monster

Ma

MiB International

Toy Story 4

Child's Play

Spidey Far From Home

Midsommar

Crawl

...if you can afford it and you gave the free time, support your local movie house folks!

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

So it looks like the only MCU film with a better second weekend % drop is BP.

And Thor, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, and Avengers.    

Far From Home’s 2nd weekend drop is the only one inflated by a Tuesday release though.

• Thanks 1

Oh, we're making lists. I'll contribute as well.

So far:

Captain Marvel
Shazam!
Avengers: Endgame
Spider-Man: Far from Home

Still to go:

Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood
It Chapter Two
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
Frozen II
Jumanji: The Next Level
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Honestly didn't realize how few movies some catch in theaters here. I totally understand there are many, many very valid reasons to not catch as many as I others do. Maybe I should cut back... 😐.

i'm up to about 12 this year and that's low for me, but I've been more picky lately.

So I still see a lot of movies in the theater, plus I like to keep my diamond status with Regal 😛 

• Like 2