Alli

Babylon - Damien Chazelle; Margot Robbie; Brad Pitt | Paramount | December 23, 2022 nationwide

Im sure itll be good, but my inmediate reaction from the trailer and specially yesterday's posters is that it looks like its trying too hard, if that makes sense

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 6

Margot is playing a faux Clara Bow, a redhead from Brooklyn. She was the original "It" Girl and a headstrong wild child-she even negotiated with Paramount not to have a morals clause in her contract. That was the mid-1920s, not the norm for actresses back then. Eventually, she had a breakdown and spent time in a sanitarium, before retiring from acting at 28. So I see what they are going for with Margot's character in the trailer.

The Roaring Twenties are notorious for wild celebrations, add in Hollywood money/glamour and the partying had to be next level.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hated the script for this. Thought the debauchery just felt more unrealistic for the era than edgy or meaningful in any way, and it really was just another "how about the magic of movies" deal at heart no matter how much they dress it up. Hope to be proven wrong by the product on screen. Chazelle is obviously an ace.

I've mostly heard good things about the script, but thanks for the point of view.

The trailer looked a bit much for me, but that doesn't necessarily reflect on the film, it's probably Paramount trying to recapture the Wolf of Wall Street crowd. Robbie with that accent is kind of grating.

11 hours ago, ban1o said:

Margot is beginning to come across as one note to me 

Excuse me, in WoWS she gave Trophy Wife Harley Quinn, in I, Tonya she gave Poor Harley Quinn, in this she's giving Golden Age Harley Quinn, in Barbie she'll give G-rated Harley Quinn, the range is stunning. Your fave could never.

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

lol people cannot wait to jump on Robbie. This was Emma Stone 4 years ago. And JLaw a few years before that. And Hathaway a few years before that. The line prob goes all the way back to Clara Bow. The It girl cross to bear.

And of course most people these days don't even know who CLARA BOW was, and think IT Is just a Stephen King story made into movies...sigh...  But I do my part, we show this film and actress in class every semester!  

Margot is so beautiful and charming that I never get tired of watching her on screen, but I do feel like this role would have been a slam dunk for Emma Stone.

Emma simply has a wider range and comes off as genuinely funny without trying too hard; I see her as an heir to Cameron Diaz's  comedy reign.

Margot is a good actress but she needs her character to have a clear direction, as she is not really great at effortlessly switching between comedy and drama.

This also makes me wonder just how good "Poor Things" will be, because Lanthimos is a genius  and for Emma to choose that over Babylon must mean something. I expect Emma's role there to be a wild ride between comedy and the unsettling thriller/horror with sci-fi vibes Lanthimos is known for... imho Emma's greatest performances so far were in "The Favourite" and "Maniac", where her genre-crossing talent really got an opportunity to shine.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

On 9/14/2022 at 10:45 AM, Spidey Freak said:

Excuse me, in WoWS she gave Trophy Wife Harley Quinn, in I, Tonya she gave Poor Harley Quinn, in this she's giving Golden Age Harley Quinn, in Barbie she'll give G-rated Harley Quinn, the range is stunning. Your fave could never.

she seems to use the same Brooklyn accent in every movie. which is weird since she's not even American. It's like she picked an "acting accent" and stuck with it. 

Edited by ban1o

10 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Margot is so beautiful and charming that I never get tired of watching her on screen, but I do feel like this role would have been a slam dunk for Emma Stone.

Emma simply has a wider range and comes off as genuinely funny without trying too hard; I see her as an heir to Cameron Diaz's  comedy reign.

Margot is a good actress but she needs her character to have a clear direction, as she is not really great at effortlessly switching between comedy and drama.

This also makes me wonder just how good "Poor Things" will be, because Lanthimos is a genius  and for Emma to choose that over Babylon must mean something. I expect Emma's role there to be a wild ride between comedy and the unsettling thriller/horror with sci-fi vibes Lanthimos is known for... imho Emma's greatest performances so far were in "The Favourite" and "Maniac", where her genre-crossing talent really got an opportunity to shine.

Didn't Stone drop out of Babylon because she got pregnant?

2 hours ago, DumbDamb said:

Didn't Stone drop out of Babylon because she got pregnant?

Initially that was the reason, but then due to covid and stuff the whole shooting was postponed; thanks to the delays Emma was available again and rumor has it Chazelle offered her the role once again,  but she had scheduling conflicts with Poor Things and decided to stick with Lanthimos.

• Like 1