charlie Jatinder

Monday (7/15) Numbers

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Its really only due to the crappy 1st quarter we had. Missing a BP sized film in February was always going to hurt and none of the films released until Captail Marvel did anything significant. Summer is fine overall, some ups and some downs but we have made considerable gain on the deficit from 2018 since Endgame came out. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Still think this gets sorted started with this weekend. Then, still, Scary Stories, Once Upon, Hobbs, Doctor Sleep, It, Frozen, Jumanji, Star Wars...

I hope too for a better result at the end of the year, but less sure about of those can lessen the gap.

Big difference might be December, SW9 'should' be above Mary Poppins Returns 😉 (but last Dec had Aquaman, Spider-Verse... also)

Later into 2018 we had Venom, A Star is Born, Bohemian Rhapsody, Mission Impossible Fallout, Grinch, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Ant-Man 2 got just released... plus some under $170m titles.

Fingers crossed 😉

33 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

TLK will help this over the next few weeks. There is nothing even remotely comparable in 2018 over the next 6-8 weeks. 

The end of the year will be stronger too. Will it be enough though, we'll see in December.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Its really only due to the crappy 1st quarter we had. Missing a BP sized film in February was always going to hurt and none of the films released until Captail Marvel did anything significant. Summer is fine overall, some ups and some downs but we have made considerable gain on the deficit from 2018 since Endgame came out. 

we are still under 2016 also (even if only slightly)

BP was a big reason for 2018, but earlier years had quite some big earners YTD too. E.g. 2017 had WW, GotG2, Beauty & Beast, Fate of the Furious, Logan, Despicable Me 3, Get Out, Lego, Boss Baby, Pirates, Kong,... and just a week of SM Homecoming

From 2017 to 2019 there is a slight increase in average ticket price, and 0.1% in BO.

A few big earners can counterbalance 2 big earners too.

Average ticket prices increased up to 2018, till then no $ plus means a decrease in admissions, and that's my main concern, but decreased for now in 2019 - admission count a bit better than the $ might indicate at a first glance.

As costs for the cinemas increase, pressure/demands per distributors too, I'd prefer to see considerable increases, not a stalemate or worse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

????

Inside joke, some people are saying that market has globally increased more than exchange rates and 3D surcharge/ratio had decreased between two certain movies, one from 2009 and one from this year

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

we are still under 2016 also (even if only slightly)

BP was a big reason for 2018, but earlier years had quite some big earners YTD too. E.g. 2017 had WW, GotG2, Beauty & Beast, Fate of the Furious, Logan, Despicable Me 3, Get Out, Lego, Boss Baby, Pirates, Kong,... and just a week of SM Homecoming

From 2017 to 2019 there is a slight increase in average ticket price, and 0.1% in BO.

A few big earners can counterbalance 2 big earners too.

Average ticket prices increased up to 2018, till then no $ plus means a decrease in admissions, and that's my main concern, but decreased for now in 2019 - admission count a bit better than the $ might indicate at a first glance.

As costs for the cinemas increase, pressure/demands per distributors too, I'd prefer to see considerable increases, not a stalemate or worse.

And its still a Q1 problem for the most part. Both 2016 and 2018 benefitted from Crazy holidays the previous December that had films playing out crazily in January. Most here dont give enough credit, but when the Christmas films do huge it really uplifts January in particular. Besides Aquaman we had nothing in January this year compared to Star Wars or Jumanji driving business, even the Oscar films that were big were fall releases that were still around. Big films over the whole year are always better but it was terribly lopsided in 2016 and 2018 which shows in our year over year comparisons. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The Endgame numbers are assuming the weekend numbers won't be adjusted down because I still have weekend at $1.75mn. Going by that, Monday would be $275k

Mojo shows a final weekend number for EG ($2,104,276). Do such final domestic numbers get corrected very often? Once those final down-to-the-dollar numbers show up, I assume the bean-counters are done and that's the number we're getting, period...?

9 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Most here dont give enough credit, but when the Christmas films do huge it really uplifts January in particular.

I am very well aware of that 😉

The spillover effect is good to see with those charts, as winter season runs till very early March

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/seasonal/?chart=byseason&season=Winter&view=releasedate

there is to see how much out of whack BP's result was for 2018's winter season, way higher than normal winter season sum (release date)

the other seasons per tabs

Season to date often seems to get missed (I am aware about you'll know it, but our few posts here might be of interest for silent readers / new to the theme members too)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/seasonal/?chart=std&view=releasedate

Not disagreeing to the most what got said here, only another POV (me wishing for way higher increasing admissions every year instead of in some years decreasing and in others stalemate or....)

• Like 1